Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Dry Firing

G17

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

4-5 times a week.

• 10 minutes of basic trigger technique maintenance, wall drills mostly, freestyle, SHO, and WHO, standing straight and leaning behind cover
  • 30 minutes of draws and reloads (alternating draws and reloads every day). Again, standing straight and leaning behind cover.
  • 30 minutes of other skills:

The "other" skills I change every few weeks and are driven by what I screw up the most in a match. Lately it's transitions, reloads with retention, and accuracy from retention (using a bore sight). I'll keep doing the same drills until I see a pretty substantial improvement in a match environment, and then I'll move on to the next weak area.

I thought the idea was maintaining the sight picture through trigger break. I assumed that dry fire practice actually involved trigger reset and break.

Tons of stuff can be practiced without trigger break and reset.

For example, lately I've been doing a lot of transition drills with a metronome. Even though I'm not working on trigger break, I'm still training my eyes to see faster, my mind to pull the trigger only when the sight picture is acceptable, my arms and body to quickly drive the gun from target to target, etc.

I've slacked off. My arm pain is better, but my performance has suffered. My reloads aren't great on a good day, but I totally missed several yesterday and cought som of them on video. Totally missed mag well. Dry fire is huge!!

I am a complete noob to the game, but I try to dry fire anywhere from 10 minutes to an hour at a time 3-4 times per week. Mostly just depends on how much my wife can stand to listen to that particular night...

I also do some dry fire in between live fire strings at the range, mainly to work on trigger control. If I feel I'm starting to get sloppy on the trigger and/or anticipate recoil, I'll stop and dry fire for 5-10 minutes to settle myself down. Since I started doing that, I notice that I can shoot more and more live fire without needing to dry fire to refocus myself. My goal is that when doing practice live fire I don't "program" any bad habits. If something gets out of line, I stop and address it.