Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Best 1911 9mm for competition

anderson22

I will cast a vote for the PM9. It is probably the most refined of the widely available 9mm SS guns. I have one and it is awesome in every way. I know 4 or 5 people with them here locally and they all like them. That said, there are a lot of STI guns floating around too.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Wait, let me guess, you shoot a Glock don't you?

Lol. I guess I did come off as a gloomy Gus. To answer your question I'm primarily a CZ guy but I love 1911s. And it makes me a sad panda seeing tons of 9mm 1911s get traded away because the owner expected them to run like a modern production line gun. The 9mm and 40s/w 1911s are weird birds, especially 9mm with full weight slides. The 1911 was designed around a long, 200pf round so feeding it short 130pf loads results in all sorts of interesting side effects.

The point I was trying to make is that for competition use, having a gunsmith on call who knows how to deal with odd caliber 1911s is as important if not more important than the roll mark on the slide. Additionally, you can't just send a gunsmith a competition 1911 and say 'make it run'. The ammo and mags are critical variables and need to go along for the ride.

JKW

Love the grips - what are they?

Thx

They are part of the Techwell system. I think they are only referred to as "Balck and grey diagonal" at dealers. I like them well enough, but as G10 grips go, they are not nearly as grippy as the VZs I have on another gun.

- Buy any 9mm 1911

- Buy a bunch of reputable mags (Wilson, Dawson or Tripps)

- Work up load and play with springs until the gun almosst runs.

- Send gun, mags, ammo and $500 to a good 1911 'smith.

Wish I was joking. Anyone who considers a 40/9mm to be competition ready out of the box is either damn luck or in serious denial.

I must be in the lucky crowd. I have an STI sentry that I only had one malfunction with and that was only because I didn't inspect the defective round before I put it in the mag before the stage.

Purchased a used Trojan a few years back little tuning and had it hard chromed now has 30,000 through it. One of my favorite pistols. Just purchased a used Spartan 5 had Teck Well mag well and extended magazine release. Little tuning and polishing nice pistol fit was better that I thought it would be.

Spartan seems to like Metalform Magazines the best, running Wilson in the Trojan. Spartan has run every bullet weight I've tried. As well as ESP class in IDPA I've shot Steel Challenge and a few IPSC matches in single stack. These little nines are a lot of fun and cheap to shoot, fun working up loads for them.

+1 for what Blind Bat said about knowing a gunsmith.

I recently got into a DW PM9 and it is a learning curve to make everything run as well as my production guns. In the middle of break-in. So far it is really choosy about bullet profiles and the tolerances are wicked tight. Fit and finish are impeccable, trigger is EXCELLENT, and reliability will get there, but I expect to spend a few bucks to get it where I want it to be for competition.

I recently got into a DW PM9 and it is a learning curve to make everything run as well as my production guns. In the middle of break-in. So far it is really choosy about bullet profiles and the tolerances are wicked tight. Fit and finish are impeccable, trigger is EXCELLENT, and reliability will get there, but I expect to spend a few bucks to get it where I want it to be for competition.

If the gun won't run out of the box, then it wasn't built right. There is no way around that

My 2 cents: if you're going to get a 1911 in 9mm, why not get a bushing barreled 9mm 2011 (ala Eagle)? Other than not being able to shoot a 2011 in SSD, it can pretty much do double or triple duty in other competitions. Shoot it loaded to 10+1 in ESP. Shoot it loaded to capacity in Steel Challenge and 3-gun. Heck, shoot it in Limited-minor if you like (I have, but found my slight increase in speed didn't make up for the bigger loss of minor scoring...).

I shoot a 6" .40SW 2011 in Limited, but for all the other comps I shoot my 9mm 2011. The recoil of 135 PF 9mm ammo is silly soft, mags hold a healthy number of rounds (17 in a 126mm or 23 in a 140mm mag), and 9mm reloading components are cheaper. My 9mm 2011 is a semi-custom: frame started out as a Eagle chambered in .40SW but after I got that 6" 2011 I had a 9mm top end built for the Eagle. I put the .40 slide back on it when I need a back-up gun for major matches, but 99% of the time it wears the 9mm slide/barrel.

My 2 cents: if you're going to get a 1911 in 9mm, why not get a bushing barreled 9mm 2011 (ala Eagle)? Other than not being able to shoot a 2011 in SSD, it can pretty much do double or triple duty in other competitions. Shoot it loaded to 10+1 in ESP. Shoot it loaded to capacity in Steel Challenge and 3-gun. Heck, shoot it in Limited-minor if you like (I have, but found my slight increase in speed didn't make up for the bigger loss of minor scoring...).

For me there were several reasons for not buying an Eagle when I bought my Trojan. The only one that seems as valid now as it did then is cost. I bought my Trojan as a new condition second hand gun and at what I paid, a new Eagle would have been a pretty good chunk of change more. Now if i were buying a brand new hard chrome Trojan the gap narrows significantly. It narrows even more if one were to get lucky and find a used Eagle. Another reason I felt a single stack was a better option is because I was a little bit afraid of the cost and finiky nature of the mags. Looking at it now, the mags don't seem all that expensive (especially considering that I have bought 4 more TacSol mags for my 2211 at 80 bucks a pop) nor do they seem the require magic dust (I dont even know where the hell I got that idea) to make them work. The final, and I now realize the worst reason, for me not buying a 2011 is that I thought I would just use my already nicely set up Glock 34 if I even needed a high capacity 9mm. Boy was I wrong. Since getting the Trojan, and even though I wasn't new to 1911s, I just don't want to shoot the Glock much anymore. Don't get me wrong. It's as reliable as anybody could ask of a pistol, I shoot it reasonably well, and for some reason I can't imagine selling it, but I'm just not drawn to it like I was before starting to shoot a 9mm 1911.

I have been very happy with my Trojan that I bought second hand but I'm loving every second with it! Its an amazingly soft shooting gun but has been VERY reliable to me. I have used good mags, Wilson, and have been lucky to run very well. I would have loved to buy an eagle, but the cost of eagles aren't as cheap as their single stack siblings.

I hear alot about sti and dan wesson pm9? any others

There is an old adage about beauty being in the eyes of the beholder. It applies a lot to chice of firearm. Both the STI and DW PM-9 are excellent pistols. I personally prefer the DW PM-9.

I started with a Dan Wesson Guardian 9mm and love it. It is mainly a carry gun and I would only recommend it for IDPA and not USPSA. However, I recently purchased a Wilson Combat CQB Elite in 9mm and I have to say it is by far the best shooting pistol I have. Plus Wilson's customer service is second to none.

- Buy any 9mm 1911

- Buy a bunch of reputable mags (Wilson, Dawson or Tripps)

- Work up load and play with springs until the gun almosst runs.

- Send gun, mags, ammo and $500 to a good 1911 'smith.

Wish I was joking. Anyone who considers a 40/9mm to be competition ready out of the box is either damn luck or in serious denial.

Boom...well said. I had a Spartan 9, extractor wore out excessively soon. I traded it for a sw pro series 1911 which has been awesome thus far. Sti Trojan is also an excellent choice

If the gun won't run out of the box, then it wasn't built right. There is no way around that

My new PM9 actually just went back to DW for service, so your comment is exactly on point.