Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Bulk bullets: do you care how they are packaged?

Sandbagger123

I usually buy the bullets through the mail. if there is a discount for buying more, i usually do. I have bought from MG and others, and MG is the only company that put all my bullets in one bag. Others were in 500-1k boxes.

I think the bulk bag method is ok. it saves box cost and weight, so hopefully the company passes along the savings.

So do you care if your bulk bullets came in boxes?

<joke> I want each bullet individually packaged in a hermetically sealed pouch that has a tamper proof seal. That way I can tell if someone has tampered with them or not. :roflol:

On a serious note... as long as they get to me... they could be in one box/bag or 5, or 15.... :)

The only thing I really care about is that they label everything very well. Typically not a problem but I have purchased bullets from smaller venues that did not properly label Bullet Manufacturer, Weight, Bullet Type...etc. Instead I get a package that says 300 rds 9mm. I could be strange but I prefer more info about components as oppose to less.

I don't care how they're packed.

My mail man HATES me. I think he asked for a different route or may be out on disability because I haven't seen him for a while. :)

Hazmat, 50# box, 50# box, hazmat, hazmat, military surplus catalog, super girly stationery from Japan...I'm surprised I'm not on a list.

Can stacking cases damage lead bullets? I stack about six high which translates to 300lbs sitting on the bottom case.

Compared to what they go through being fired? Probably not an issue. The boxes may squash down, but they give, and the bullets just settle into a packed condition. It's not quite like one bullet supporting 300# while sandwiched between two steel plates.

I worry more that the lopsided boxes will tilt too much if stacked to high. I leave the top box open to replenish the bullet supply when I reload. If it falls, I'll have 3K bullets rolling across my basement floor.

I like the packaging from Precision - bagged in a heavy box, stapled shut, then strapped completely in filament tape, then restrapped with plastic strapping, then boxed in PM boxes. They don't sag nearly as much when stacked, compared to the MG boxes I get.