Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Beretta 1301 Comp

JediTodd

I've been lurking here for a while. Just thought I'd weigh in. Bought the 24" but haven't had it to the range yet.

Took me 2 hours of trial and error to get the shims and spacers just right but I think it fits me perfectly now. ( I ended up doubling up the shims for enough right cast ) I ordered the Beretta IM +2 extended choke and a Nordic +5 tube and clamp. I intend this to be my all around shotgun as I sold all my 3 other shotguns to finance this purchase.

I have taken the last couple of years off from competing in 3 gun but with this I'm looking forward to giving it another shot.

I have been practicing my L2 technique and I think I'll need to weld the lifter. I don't have large hands and have managed to get my thumb wedged a couple times. I'll probably do it myself. I don't think I'll need to profile the well.

btw I got "The crazy gun dealer" in Alvarado to price match less $10 to "Grab-a-gun" and got it for $968.00

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have read through all this info and found it to be extremely helpful. I have a 21 inch 1301 that I picked up for $875 out the door at the dickson sportsmans store in Dickson, TN. Was looking for a versa max but couldn't pass up the offer.

I shot the gun straight from the factory at the local skeet range with Walmart federal bulk packs ammo and was very impressed with it. I took it home that night and read through the forum for some ideas to start modifying it.

So far I have put loctite on the mid bead and the bolt release, added a Nordic +5, put a LM briley choke, done my own loading port modification, and cut 3 coils off the lifter spring.

The gun loads very smooth and I am loading weak hand quads with 8 rounds in the low 4's (I am very new to quad loading but I never even tried load 2's or any other method) so I feel like that's pretty good. Hope to get faster with more practice.

I am definitely looking forward to getting it out on the range for some 3 gun practice and shooting it in matches.

Thanks again for all the great info you guys have posted in this thread! post-54064-142101485874_thumb.jpgpost-54064-142101487765_thumb.jpg

Best price so far. Awesome. Low 4s is excellent. Nice mods. You seem to have real good gun skills already. Now get some clays and line em up on a berm or log and go for speed. Check Keith Garcia YouTube for skill drills. I like the extended IC better for all around, but every gun is different. DVC

Best price so far. Awesome. Low 4s is excellent. Nice mods. You seem to have real good gun skills already. Now get some clays and line em up on a berm or log and go for speed. Check Keith Garcia YouTube for skill drills. I like the extended IC better for all around, but every gun is different.

Thanks! I will have to pick up an IC choke. The LM shot very good on the skeet range, but I need to go somewhere to practice shooting clays and targets on the ground. I will check the his videos out on youtube. I am wondering if there is any benefit to an extended lifter. It has not bit my thumb yet. Are there any other benefits besides protecting your thumb?

I have yet to get my thumb bit by my 1301, as far as I'm concerned it has the best factory lifter around. I'm sure plenty of people will disagree but I have not seen a lot of people do lifter work on 1301's so it seems to be less of an issue than with other guns.

The more you open the port (especially extend it forward) the more likely thumb trapping becomes. If it aint broke don't fix it, but if it needs fixing C-Rums can take care of you.

imgbig_76FC05E1-448E-45B8-9A13-BB34354DC

Edited by GunCat

I have yet to get my thumb bit by my 1301, as far as I'm concerned it has the best factory lifter around. I'm sure plenty of people will disagree but I have not seen a lot of people do lifter work on 1301's so it seems to be less of an issue than with other guns.

+1 weak hand load with no mods to my 1301 and am content.... well almost, the edges of the beveled load port are a little sharp. But for some strange reason I have been compelled to see how long I can run this SG straight out of the box before modding. I have had it for 9 months now .

I will be running it in the VMax challenge at the end of the month. I am sure after that match I will know what he future holds for this SG.

So far , I like it.

I've got small hands and it can grab my thumb but it doesn't hurt...it's more a gotcha!

I have 2 Carlson"s chokes ( IC and IM) on my 1301 comp, The IC is giving good groups for Slugs but is having a hard time knocking down some heavy and or distant steel targets. Thinking of getting the LM to help me out for steels,Would the LM is Safe for slugs assuming I will be getting good group with it? Plannig of using the LM for Shots and Slugs. thanks

Just an update for Gents who have the some questions regarding Carlsons Optima HP choke.

Got a direct answer from Shane Carlson stating that he doesnt recommend shooting slugs on OPtima HP chokes tighter than IC.

Does anyone else have a problem with getting shells out of the mag tube onto the lifter? If I load up my tube with any more than 6 shells when I hit the button to drop a shell onto the lifter it often will not let a shell out onto the lifter. The shell catch is being depressed but maybe not enough? With 2 or 3 rounds in the tube it works great.

Take your shell catch and polish the shit out of it. Mine used to the same thing. I also shortened my spring so it puts less pressure. It's never caused a problem during a match, just when I practiced loading.

How do you get the shell catch out?

there is a roll pin and keeper pin that needs removed. you should be able to figure out by looking at it.

The roll pin goes in (and out) horizontally, just punch it inward into loading chamber. The hinge pin will come out on it's own with a little coaxing with the gun upright. You will probably have to push the shell catch outward to take the inward spring pressure off of the shell catch.

Just bragging... Shot the 1st match of the 2015 Remington Versamax Tarheel shotgun series hosted by A3G this weekend. Right around 300 mixed rounds of 1145 bird, 1250 bird, 1350 high brass bird, 00 buck and a whole bunch of slugs and not a single hiccup! After the match 3 awesome shooters who were having problems with their shotguns wanted to shoot the Beretta and all came away saying WOW! This shotgun has been great for me.

My 1301 ran like a champ all weekend at the Versa Max match. I ran the same sort of mixture as Paul did. I didn't place nearly as well as I'd have liked, but this was my first shotgun-only match. I learned so much this weekend that I feel like I've got a nice advantage in 3-Gun over my buddies who didn't shoot the match.