Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Beretta 1301 Comp

JediTodd

I can't go lower with the receiver without touching the serial #,

Already change the front sight with Hi viz tri comp, same POI, maybe putting a spacer between the rib and sight would raise the POI. The factory choke has the same POi with Carlson

Right, but notice how thick the receiver walls are, and how much higher the outside of the walls are compared to the inside. On the side of the receiver opposite the serial number, I took the outside all the down to within less than a mm of the edge that starts the flat wall of the upper receiver. Made a HUGE difference. I also took it down on the serial number side on the part where the # isn't, and ramped it up towards the serial number.

@Jadeslade, I just did some, and I noticed the handguard was definitely causing the shells to catch. The biggest problem is the receiver above the magazine tube hasn't been beveled enough so the shells hit that part like a wall. I'm going to take a bunch of material off that area so that it's the proper angle. I'll post some before and after pictures this week.

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Already change the front sight with Hi viz tri comp, same POI, maybe putting a spacer between the rib and sight would raise the POI. The factory choke has the same POi with Carlson

Well, if you can't get to a 50 yd range, just stick with what you've got and use Kentucky windage, like we used to do with BB guns when were kids. Until you figure out what you want to change. It can get like chasing a zero on a rifle. I use a Spark II from HiViz for the front fiber optic sight and the factory mid bead and I line up the mid bead so it's exactly halfway up the fiberoptic. I also have a 1/8 inch Cheekeeze pad on the stock where my cheek weld is. Practiced my mount so its very close on mounting. The rib is level when I'm welded to it. I think body type, facial structure, length of pull and all of the other myriad factors all play a part in how well a shotgun will shoot slugs (and shot). We 3 gunners don't ordinarily take the time, effort and money that trap and skeet shooters do to get their guns custom fitted, but I think it is worthwhile doing ourselves. It doesn't sound like anything is drastically wrong with your set-up and maybe if you go practice with a friend who can watch you shoot and play with the little things, it might just fall into place. 1301 is a very adjustable gun for us. On my Benelli, there is no mid-bead, so with the Spark II, I just mount the gun so the fiber dot just sits on the rib like a rising sun. Again, level from my cheek weld.

Also, I don't know if its shadows or what ,but your handguard seems to stick up a lot more than mine did when I bought mine in June of 2013. Mine was barely an 1/8 inch too high.

Also, Neomet and Dave Marques have posted a bunch of pictures in this thread-maybe look at them again. Also Redneck Tactical Facebook page has pictures. I mean Neomet and Dave made whale vaginas. I took my time and I "became the shell" and just slowed down the whole loading thing so I could tell where the hangups were. That's what got us mucking around with the carrier spring. Plus I asked Eric Eckhardt and Rob Romero what they did and looked at their guns. Conclusion was do your thing to the gun, but practice time was the most effective reducer of times once some basic smoothing and modeling of the port were done.

Edited by Jadeslade

Well, if you can't get to a 50 yd range, just stick with what you've got and use Kentucky windage, like we used to do with BB guns when were kids. Until you figure out what you want to change. It can get like chasing a zero on a rifle. I use a Spark II from HiViz for the front fiber optic sight and the factory mid bead and I line up the mid bead so it's exactly halfway up the fiberoptic. I also have a 1/8 inch Cheekeeze pad on the stock where my cheek weld is. Practiced my mount so its very close on mounting. The rib is level when I'm welded to it. I think body type, facial structure, length of pull and all of the other myriad factors all play a part in how well a shotgun will shoot slugs (and shot). We 3 gunners don't ordinarily take the time, effort and money that trap and skeet shooters do to get their guns custom fitted, but I think it is worthwhile doing ourselves. It doesn't sound like anything is drastically wrong with your set-up and maybe if you go practice with a friend who can watch you shoot and play with the little things, it might just fall into place. 1301 is a very adjustable gun for us. On my Benelli, there is no mid-bead, so with the Spark II, I just mount the gun so the fiber dot just sits on the rib like a rising sun. Again, level from my cheek weld.

Also, I don't know if its shadows or what ,but your handguard seems to stick up a lot more than mine did when I bought mine in June of 2013. Mine was barely an 1/8 inch too high.

Also, Neomet and Dave Marques have posted a bunch of pictures in this thread-maybe look at them again. Also Redneck Tactical Facebook page has pictures. I mean Neomet and Dave made whale vaginas. I took my time and I "became the shell" and just slowed down the whole loading thing so I could tell where the hangups were. That's what got us mucking around with the carrier spring. Plus I asked Eric Eckhardt and Rob Romero what they did and looked at their guns. Conclusion was do your thing to the gun, but practice time was the most effective reducer of times once some basic smoothing and modeling of the port were done.

its just a shadow, I got mine about 2 months ago, replaced my trusty Supernova.

What kind of work/lubing are you guys doing to the inside of the extension tube to make sure the spring doesn't bind up or anything? Anyone use silicon spray or light oil on the spring? I'm not sure if that is any issue or not but just checking to make sure I have my bases covered.

You picture me owning a store??? Do I look like a clerk to you? Or perhaps a haberdasher with a side line in hardware? I'm in the oil business sir, so for me to recommend graphite, it must be good! :)

Right now as mentioned from my previous posts my 1301 is shooting hight, I will try to take out the MID BEAD sight and just use the front sight, thus avoiding the #8 sight a alignment, maybe it lower the POI??

Actually Kurt, I could see you owning the general store in a wild west town 120 years ago. But I probably wouldn't start any trouble in your store because despite that silly green visor thing your wearing, I think there's a coach gun under your counter and you know how to use it. Ffgats, when I got my 1301 I immediately didn't like the mid bead but I thought I'd give it a chance before removing it. First day out I found it distracting and my slugs happened to be hitting way high. That night I decided it had to go, took it out the next day and it turned out I had inadvertently fixed my poa/poi issue. All was well with the world so I never considered putting it back on to verify that it was causing the slug problem.

Edited by TonytheTiger

Right now as mentioned from my previous posts my 1301 is shooting hight, I will try to take out the MID BEAD sight and just use the front sight, thus avoiding the #8 sight a alignment, maybe it lower the POI??

That might actually do it. Everybody's eyes a little different. That would be exactly like shooting a Benelli, putting that fiber optic right down on the rib like a setting sun.

https://vimeo.com/111883937

First stage of my first 3 gun match back in July. Actually loaned out my 1301 to two guys having issues with there JM Pros on the final two stages. The guys were great at instructing me at what to do and giving great tips and advice.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Edited by xtremekramer

Went really well. Came out 8th out of 12 on 4 of the 6 stages. Which was surprising since I was taking it slow on purpose. Came out 11th after forgetting a spinner on the last stage and attempted to take it with my pistol! Total brain fart when I ditched the 1301! After putting 5 or 6 rounds on it and started to go for a reload the RO recommended I take the penalty since "you will never flip that with a 9mm" :) Taking one shot would have gotten me out of the not engaged target, but the additional shots added to my time + penalty. Nice lesson I guess for my first time out! Shooting the cow boy targets would be fun!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by xtremekramer

Happy to report that my 1301 is now shooting POA/POI without the MIDBEAD.

although its still shooting a little left, maybe my mounting stock/ cheek relationship still needs a little adjustment ( cast off?) thinking of getting a Gel-tek or maybe a rear sight?

• 3 weeks later...