Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Beretta 1301 Comp

JediTodd

My partner in RNT has taken all that stuff off his 1301 and just runs the good old RNT rapid release tab in its place. He likes it a lot better! They are available from Shooters Source, CPWSA, and Brownells. If you have trouble getting one P.M. Me and I'll send one up. They are not an ITAR part.

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

FEEDING PROBLEMS A FIX

Just an FYI for anyone having a specific feeding problem like the one I had. This may also apply to those who had feeding problems with cheap ammo (maybe).

I had several failures to go into battery with a variety of ammo starting with Wally World Winchester, a few Remington Gun Club and (apply sarcasm here) two or so cheap Winchester A-A loads! This was all at one match! Afterwards, I was practicing with some friends and was using some other Winchester loads (~10 yr old military issue) and continued to have the problem.

My Problem - All rounds are on the lifter and the lifter presents the rounds to the chamber ok. The rounds fail to enter the chamber and there is sometimes a noticeable indentation on the side/front of the round near where the extractor goes. For those of you with Benellis this is an old problem.and the solution is. sort of well knownbut just in case some of you with Berettas dont know what I am talking about..If you have this problem.look at your barrel (take it off the gun first - ). Look where the extractor cutout is and you will see a knife edge on the chamber. Radius this edge and blend it to the rest of the chamfer that is on the balance of the chamber. The problem should go away. I would recommend files for this task maybe some crocus cloth to finish.

Alright, I'm convinced I need to throw a better fiber optic sight on the front. Looking for a bigger brighter sight. Which do you guys recommend? And I have ZERO idea how to install, do they all work the same way?

HiViz Comp or Tri Comp. The fiber inserts are no larger in diameter than the stock bead, but they are longer and transmit more light. They’ll appear bigger and brighter.

Unscrew the factory bead. Use one of the screws that come with the HiViz to attach it to the vent rib (same screw hole the factory bead came out of)

I'm at 1k rounds without cleaning. It did NOT like the Winchester Super target stuff I tried to put through it last weekend. Switched back to Federal and had no problems other than one failure to feed from magazine tube. Spring is in need of replacing. Unfortunately, the bolt release button screw backed out and lost itself.

I need part 160

http://www.brownells.com/schematics/Beretta-/1301-Competition-sid1060.aspx#s124286sid1060

Brownells wants to charge $14.16 for one tiny ass screw. Anyone have a better source, or know exactly what kind it is so I can get it from a hardware store?

Edited by bluedevil008

I'd be interested to hear about a cheaper screw, I stripped the head out on mine a while back trying to make sure that sucker didn't back out. Someday I'm gonna want to take it apart again and I'll need a new screw. Are you at 1k total rounds or just 1k uncleaned? Cause I'm at 2k uncleaned with 2.5k on a Nordic spring cut only 4" out of a 10 round tube with not a single malfunction on almost only 1145fps federal loads. Knocking on wood as I write this.

I'd be interested to hear about a cheaper screw, I stripped the head out on mine a while back trying to make sure that sucker didn't back out. Someday I'm gonna want to take it apart again and I'll need a new screw. Are you at 1k total rounds or just 1k uncleaned? Cause I'm at 2k uncleaned with 2.5k on a Nordic spring cut only 4" out of a 10 round tube with not a single malfunction on almost only 1145fps federal loads. Knocking on wood as I write this.

I'm at around 2.5k total, without cleaning the last 1k. It's been flawless until the last few hundred rounds. I am going to replace the mag tube spring and give it a thorough cleaning, make sure I run the Federal stuff or better at matches and I'll have 100% confidence in it. For how I run this thing, a few malfunctions (95%) caused by bad ammo, I can accept a problem here or there.

I didn't realize that RNT tab isn't fastened on to the gun in any way. Makes me a bit uncomfortable that it could fall out mid-stage.

It can't, it won't, it never has. The only way for it to "fall out" is if your handguard, and barrel loosen off at least 1/2", and if that happens, you have way more trouble than the tab falling out. You have a gun well on the way to a disassemble and show clear :lol:

I just bought one of these as well. Seems to be a very nice gun. Has anyone done any force cone work, trigger work, computer anaylsis with different chokes. Also where do you guys send your guns for mods such as trigger work and some of the other mods such as loading port.
Thanks in advance!

Edited by JohnB7679

I just bought one of these as well. Seems to be a very nice gun. Has anyone done any force cone work, trigger work, computer anaylsis with different chokes. Also where do you guys send your guns for mods such as trigger work and some of the other mods such as loading port. Also is edm porting really worth it? I didn't mean to jump of your post Jedi but thought it would be good questions to ask on here rather than starting another post.(I will do so if its a problem)

Thanks in advance!

What do you need trigger work for? My factory trigger is absolutely perfect. I've actually bump fired it one time before shooting low-recoil slugs, so I definitely would not want it any lighter.

I would like it to have a shorter pull. The only other thing Im really considering doing is the force cone? Has anyone done this yet? I would like the best pattern i can get.

John,

Are you referring to the trigger movement / engagement - or the stock length “length of pull”? (When we spoke this morning I was thinking trigger engagement). I have a few 1301 guns in the shop, let me take a look at the stock/recoil pad for possibilities.

Edited by GunCat

FYI Arredondo now has the speed chute for a 1301 comp. Yay!

Indeed! :cheers:

attachicon.gifOpen 1301.jpg attachicon.gifOpen 1301a.jpg

Yeah If you don't mind me asking, what was your total cost to get everything necessary? I'm tempted to switch to open next year, but the shotguns are so expensive!

Also, I just picked up some stainless M3 x 6mm screws at ACE for .17each. They are phillips head though, so I will update tonight after I see how they work.

FYI Arredondo now has the speed chute for a 1301 comp. Yay!

Indeed! :cheers:

Open 1301.jpg Open 1301a.jpg

What was involved with the installation?

Drifting out the stock trigger group pin, put the speed chute inplace & install the new supplied pin. Fits like a glove, even with my modded port.

Ralph really did a nice job on these.

Having run his chutes on M1/2's and the VM, at first I was wtf?,when I seen the newer type design (tangs sticking down).

I just got back from testing, within no time I was hitting loads with the gun shouldered, something I could never do consisently with the others.

It's also tapered nicely around the safety, rotating the gun ejection port up, guides my middle finger to put the safety back on.

We'll see how much blood is shed come match time (gotta bleed in 3gun, right?), but so far I'm liking it.