Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Beretta 1301 Comp

JediTodd

Had a 2 gun match today (pistol/shotgun). The 1301 ran great. The last stage was a SG only stage. Ran through the stage and the SG locked open after my last shot. They said show clear. Rolled the gun over and put my chamber flag in. Put the SG away. Got home tonight and was cleaning everything up. Pulled the chamber flag and hit the tube release and was quite surprised when it actually released a shell! Starters, my bad for not double checking the mag tube was empty. Any one had a shell not release from the tube? Any one try to color their follower or put one of the red low drag ones in?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

My only DQ was with my 1301 at unloading. I ran through all my normal drills at "If finished unload and show clear", was 100% sure the gun was empty, then at hammer down, BANG. I still can't explain it, but this is never going to happen to me again - I have fingers in every place that ammunition could lurk in that gun now before I'm happy it's empty.

Why would you be doing Hammer down with a shotgun? I've never seen that at any type of match I've been to. Unload and show clear is followed by insertion of chamber flag and/or locking back of bolt.

IPSC shotgun. "If you are finished, unload and show clear" is followed by "If clear, hammer down, open action".

Got ya. Makes sense, I'd just never heard of it before.

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Start by looking at post 1136 of this thread. There is a good article on 3 gun chokes linked there. As far as the 3/4 vs 2 inch...from what I have read up on (I had the same question) it is the shape (length of the taper). The longer the choke, the more gradual the taper. This lessons the shock (sudden compression of the shot) the shot undergoes as it hits the taper in the choke. Suppose to make for a more even pattern is the theory. If any one would like to chime in, I wouldn't mind hearing another take on the topic myself! The skeet/trap/sporting clay guys I have talked to seem to like the 2 inch chokes for their really fancy guns... I bought 2" modified (shoots like a full with steel shot) to use when I try my hand at duck hunting. Yet to be seen if I will ever need it for 3 gun.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by xtremekramer

I need to pick up some choke for my new beretta, which one should I get? What is the differences between the 3/4 extended vs 2 inches extended beside the length? So confusing...

Get Briley chokes with their "Spectrum" color ID system. This really helps you id what choke you have quickly.

I have three chokes:

light modified: I run this 85% of the time. This is my "go to" choke for most stages

Diffusion: useful for "clay only" stages

Light full: occasionally used for a stage with distant drop steel or a heavy spinner

Get the 3/4" extended. The 2" will be more prone to damage getting thrown in dump barrels.

Avoid ported chokes unless you want to run in "open"

Edited by GSonnen

what a good (cheapest) place to get Briley choke?

Midway and Brownells usually have some good coupon codes for "after Christmas" sales.

I got mine straight from Briley. You wont see much variation in prices from retailers.

You'll want the Optima HP chokes.

Just bought my new 1301 Comp 24" from Bass Pro for a steal. They matched Cabela's $944 sale price for the gun, gave me the $100 rebate, and the I got an extra 10 percent off for getting a Bass Pro credit card. Price came out to about $750 plus tax. Now if I can just find some chokes...

Just bought my new 1301 Comp 24" from Bass Pro for a steal. They matched Cabela's $944 sale price for the gun, gave me the $100 rebate, and the I got an extra 10 percent off for getting a Bass Pro credit card. Price came out to about $750 plus tax. Now if I can just find some chokes...

Optics Planet has the Carlson chokes. Optima HP

On my 1301 I've been really happy with everthing except the rear QD socket, which seems to spontaneouslydislodge all but one of the half dozen QD males I've tried. And I can't even tell which brand is the good one but it looks identical to the Nordic and Uncle Mikes I've bought that pop out with a featherweight pull.

I trimmed around the edge so the stock isn't interfereing but now I am starting to suspect it's the female socket that's faulty. Any advice?

I took plastic off the stock until it was below the female piece on mine. It now works as it should. I used a file and tried to not hit the metal female end. I could tell after playing with it for a bit that the male end wasn't recessed far enough to engage the balls. I had to take a little more plastic off then I expected I would have to.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by xtremekramer

Yeah I've got so the female QD socket it higher than the stock and tried two different sockets now, plus 3-4 brands of male QD inserts (that work well on my other guns). Something is funky with the female QD sockets on the Beretta.... frustratingly so.

Edited by Frankly

I had always had to have close to perfect form to quad load without hangups. I hogged out the front of the port, and favored it to the right side for weak hand quads. It made it MUCH easier without having to worry as much about perfect form.

post-39253-0-91426500-1420168697_thumb.j

You suck!!! Only kidding!!!! Lol good deal I paid @ 1100 for mine when they 1st came out, that was for a 21, u did real good!

I had always had to have close to perfect form to quad load without hangups. I hogged out the front of the port, and favored it to the right side for weak hand quads. It made it MUCH easier without having to worry as much about perfect form.

You mean right side upside down? The one away from the number? Picture would be great.

Can you not see my pic a couple posts up? Yes, opposite side of the serial number. Considering moving the serial number. I'm gonna run it like this for a while to see if it's enough. It appears to be pretty close from practicing with it.

I have 2 Carlson"s chokes ( IC and IM) on my 1301 comp, The IC is giving good groups for Slugs but is having a hard time knocking down some heavy and or distant steel targets. Thinking of getting the LM to help me out for steels,Would the LM is Safe for slugs assuming I will be getting good group with it? Plannig of using the LM for Shots and Slugs. thanks

I often shoot slugs through a Briley

modified choke with no apparent ill effects.

At some point it might cause the end of the universe, but not yet.

That said I don't think I'd run slugs through anything tighter than that, just cause.