Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

difference between gen 3 & 4 Glock 34?

jriggs

so I just talked to my local shop and he's got two 34's coming in and I want to grab one. he's got a Gen 3 and a gen 4...he was only $566 for the Gen 3 and $601 for the Gen 4, i'm curious what the differences are between them. I was reading through Glocks site and couldn't find any real explanation.

some help would be appreciated? is the Gen 4 worth the extra $$$

thanks,

riggs

The Gen4's big selling point is that it has a modular back strap assembly.

Texture of the grip is far better than anything other than the Gen3 RTF. Better as in, it actually grips.

I don't like the Gen4 change in RSA size. It limits choices on aftermarket guide rod & spring selection with a couple exceptions.

I am happy with the Jager conversion but they are pricey & have spotty availability @ my regular supply points.

All of the above have it covered. I personally prefer the gen4 texture but if you like grip tape, go with the gen 3. No sense in covering that wonderful gen 4 texture up.

Those prices are a steal. You also get 3 mags with the gen 4

The Gen 4 Glocks have a smaller grip circumference, they come with interchangeable back straps to "Fit" your hand,

for some mysterious reason Glock re designed the recoil guide rod to a 3 spring contraption, (remember that after 3k rounds your gen 4 recoil contraption will need to be replaced . . . .good luck)

All Glock 34's use the same trigger, connector and striker set up , with the only difference being that the Gen 4's use a redesigned ejector housing and ejector.

after market triggers will swap out no issues (at lest our will)

the other main concern is that most after market parts are designed for Gen 3 frames

I personally would go with the Gen 3 and buy some extra mags and ammo.

Edited by Tyro Shooter

Everything was pretty much covered from above. That being said, If it is possible, get them both in front of you at the same time and find out which one feels best in your hands. And that will be the gun for you. Then shoot the barrel out of it and have fun.

So if I was thinking of using this for production class...gen 4 would be a wise choice. But if I was planning on possibly running it as a limited gun later on then the gen 3 would work a little better possibly becuase of the aftermarket pars? Would those parts hopefully be available in the next year or so though for the gen 4?

Yes I've had a lot of glocks in the past and have always loved the grip...they always pointed and came up onto target very naturally for me.

Thanks guys....I'm going with the gen 3

I have both 34 and 35 in Gen 4. I use the 34 in Prod, while I just started using the 35 in Limited. I haven't run into any issues with parts availability for my Gen 4 35, but my list of mods is pretty short:

- Gen 3 recoil rod adapter

- Gen 3 tungsten recoil rod

- 13lb recoil spring

- Glockworx Zev Fulcrum trigger and striker

- Dawson Ice magwell

- Sevigny sights

Shoots great and I have had literally zero failures in 2k rounds.

So if I was thinking of using this for production class...gen 4 would be a wise choice. But if I was planning on possibly running it as a limited gun later on then the gen 3 would work a little better possibly becuase of the aftermarket pars? Would those parts hopefully be available in the next year or so though for the gen 4?

If you want to run limited get the G35. You can always add the 9mm barrel to shoot production and you still have the 40 to shoot major in limited..

If you want to run limited get the G35. You can always add the 9mm barrel to shoot production and you still have the 40 to shoot major in limited..

wrong - shooting a 9mm barrel in G35 is not Production legal.

I would go gen 3 because the frame allows you to buy different custom uppers if you decide to shoot limited or open down the line. For example Glock 24 is hard to find but Glockworx can make one mated to a gen 3 frame.

I have a 34 gen 4 using med backstrap and the texture while much better than gen 3, it isn't grippy enough. So I put Dawson's grip tape over it to stay production legal.

I also have a 19 gen 3 with CCW stippling from Glockworx done. Having tried most options... for competition I prefer silicon carbide as an upgrade option over grip tape so my GW limited 24 build is going to have that.

Hope this helps

If you have small hands or get slide bite, get the G4. The SF grip is great for the wife, I added a Med Beavertail to it until she wants to shoot it. I dont suffer slide bite in particular but offered that observation.

I have had ZERO ejection issues with a G35 Gen4 and a G26 Gen4.

The G35 had a magazine issue. 2 failures to feed. The shop i purchased the G35 from replaced that mag for free.

Edit: Grammar

Edited by Fureio

I've seen a few probs with them, My friend had two 17's and a 26 and used all variations of factory ammo. It came down to the firearms needed a newer ejector design and a different dual spring guide rod.

But from an ergonomics standpoint the gun feels very nice in the hand and the magazine release is very nicely done.

The 4th Gen let you swap magazine release to the opposite side of the gun. Despite being right handed I prefer the magazine release here so I can hit it with my trigger finger. I like this better because due to teh size of my hand I can do this without breaking my grip. That alone for me is enough to get a 4th Gen over a 3rd gen every time.

I went with Gen 3. I've seen so many Gen 4s with issues I snapped up a Gen 3 while I could. If they wouldn't have changed the recoil spring the Gen 4 would be the hands down winner, but IMO they messed with the design one too many times