Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Is it too soon for a level 2 match?

jte

I shot my first match last Saturday. Had a great time, loved it, will keep going to more. In August, the IL sectional match is being held at the same range I shot at last Saturday. I'm undecided on shooting it. At best, I would be able to attend 2 more matches between now and then, one in June and one in July. That would make the level 2 Match my 4th match.

My rational brain (or maybe it's timid) thinks it's way too early to try to step up to the next level of the game. My enthusiastic brain thinks it'd be a great opportunity to see even more shooters that are better than me and try to learn. Added to that, there are people encouraging me to shoot the match.

At this point, I am leaning to the "no" side, but I would love to hear everyone's thoughts.

I used to get nervous shooting local matches until I

attended a Level II match - after that, I was never

nervous about a local match again:)

Depending on your local club, you might find that rules

are enforced more rigorously at the Level II match -

you could be DQ'd and sent home for your first infraction

rather than a warning:(

I'm going to go with your enthusiastic brain on this one. I started shooting USPSA and Steel Challenge early this year. I will have exactly two club level Steel Challenge matches (one for rimfire and one for Production) before I do the Steel Challenge World Shoot in July. My goal for both those club level matches was to stay under 200 seconds for a total score and I managed to do it both times, but I'm under no illusions of doing well in July. My goal in July is to have a safe match with a stretch goal of not coming in absolute dead last.

Just spent the next couple matches getting comfortable with the rules and how things flow and you should be fine. What I've learned is that the old adage of "Slow is smooth and smooth is fast" makes a tremendous amount of sense for us rookie action shooters. I'm not concentrating on speed right now. I'm concentrating on learning how to be an efficient gun handler (the slow and smooth part) and getting as many points as I can to keep the hit factor up. I scored 31 percent on my very first club level match which isn't great, but it was better than I feared.

So go for it! (But you have to give us a post on how it went :) )

Do it! I just started getting really into USPSA and IDPA this year as well. I have already signed up for a few larger matches in my area. My thought is to just go and get the first few bigger matches under my belt.

Pros -

- You get the experience and spend a fun day shooting

- You get to see some really good shooters shoot on the same stages you are shooting on so you can compare tactics

Just try not to push yourself to shoot faster than you have trained. That almost never works out for the better.

Good Luck!

Shoot the match! I suggest at your next two matches, figure out who the shooters are with lots of experience & see if you can get one of them to check out your gear--be sure it is division(limited, production, open, etc) appropriate & fits the rules, & also critique you on safety issues. If that shooter makes suggestions, follow them. Read the rulebook too. Especially things related to your division. Examples are holster position, mag position, mag capacity. Other things that you should pay particular attention to are the written stage briefings. Be sure you gather all the info off them that you possibly can. Then when you get to the sectional, you will have gear that fits your division, knowledge that you are safe, & the ability to understand the written stage briefing(commonly called WSB). Then have fun!

the only reason to not spend $$ on a major match is if you are not classified in a division you will be shooting. if you are unclass, you will basically be running against the GM, or highest class. Other than that, level 2 is great.

If you have the opportunity, I would take it. I will never forget my first major (how badly I did & how much fun it was.) If you are limited in the amount you shoot and you liked it as much as it sounded like you did, I would grab the chance & run with it.

I have to admit I am a little partial to the Illinois Sectional for some reason. :ph34r:

Edited by furyalecto

Go have fun and put the word out in advance that you are attending. There might be another shooter who will take you under their wing. Having a friendly face in your squad will make more like shooting a local match. If not you will still make many new friends as you get to know the people in your squad.

Don't worry about being unclassified and therefore 'competing' against the GMs. Unless you are already a top shooter it just doesn't matter ... Some people obsess about finishing 'first B' or first 'C' shooter but I don't see the big deal .... However, what is important is to make damn sure your ammo makes PF or you will not receive a score for the match and if there were any classifiers they won't be counted either ....

My 3rd match was Area 7. I would've paid double for the amount I learned from the M and GM shooters that came from all over who you don't always find at local matches.

That's how I'm approaching making the Steel Challenge Intergalactic Shoot my third actual Steel Challenge match. When it comes to the total list of results, I am going to get annihilated. I understand that. It's a very real possibility that I will only beat the people who get disqualified and I bet I find a way to lose even to them.

But the experience will be more than worth the vacation time and money to do the match. I'm going to learn a tremendous amount from watching all of the Jedi Masters from around the world and from what I can tell even people who are awful like me have a shot at some of the random prizes. :)

My 3rd match was Area 7. I would've paid double for the amount I learned from the M and GM shooters that came from all over who you don't always find at local matches.

That's how I'm approaching making the Steel Challenge Intergalactic Shoot my third actual Steel Challenge match. When it comes to the total list of results, I am going to get annihilated. I understand that. It's a very real possibility that I will only beat the people who get disqualified and I bet I find a way to lose even to them.

But the experience will be more than worth the vacation time and money to do the match. I'm going to learn a tremendous amount from watching all of the Jedi Masters from around the world and from what I can tell even people who are awful like me have a shot at some of the random prizes. :)

You're correct on the prizes. I walked away from that match with a $250 C-More Red Dot just for showing up. There's really no reason not to go. I've never gone to ANY match and not learned something.

Joined USPSA just in time to shoot a classifier in April for Area 1. Went to Area 1, and within 5 minutes realized it was a great call to go. Just shoot your own game, be safe, and you'll learn more than you can imagine! Great people, class acts, and by the third day I had improved in how I approached every aspect of shooting a stage. Great experience.

One more vote for "go" -- I shot 2 sectionals and 1 level 3 match last year (my first) and just shot Single Stack and Revolver Nationals. If you have the money and freedom to travel, soak in as much as you can. It's a great opportunity for challenging yourself, learning from others, seeing new interesting stage designs, and heck -- just another chance to burn up some ammo. You'll be nervous the first time -- just ask questions, show up early, shoot within your capabilities (don't rush, get YOUR hits at YOUR pace) and you'll never be nervous about your first big match again.

Wow, I did not expect the responses to be this lopsided! But, you've all pretty much convinced me. Thanks for all of your advice, I'll get on triple checking my gear to make sure it's all 100% within the rules, but can't think of any reason why any of it wouldn't be. Thanks again!

Wow, I did not expect the responses to be this lopsided! But, you've all pretty much convinced me. Thanks for all of your advice, I'll get on triple checking my gear to make sure it's all 100% within the rules, but can't think of any reason why any of it wouldn't be. Thanks again!

Good call. Be safe, listen to the RO's and ask to not be one of the first few shooters. Watch how other shooters in you Division shoot each stage and learn.

Go, be safe.

Pay attention to other shooters (you can learn from all of them). (Sometimes it is how not to shoot it... :surprise: )

You would be surprised how much you can learn from watching even the lower ranked shooters.

• 2 weeks later...