Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

you ever have anything stolen out of your bag at a match?

ProGunGuy

A couple of weeks back, at a local club match a couple of guys had some mags stolen from their bags. I've been playing this game for a few years, and have never heard of such a thing a thieving at a match.

They think that it was some new shooter that did it, but of course have no proof. There is some debate going on on how to remedy this, from name tags to cameras.

I personally have found most shooter to be quite honest. People will return mags when people forget to pick them up.

You ever have some thieves show up at and steal some stuff while at a match?

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i cant believe that..... i havent been shooting long but i have never heard of such a thing..... stealing from someone whos carrying a gun and competeting with it. seems to me like you have some partially retarded people at your matchs :) haha

i would bet if you just posted a sign indicating there is someone stealing it would raise the general awareness of the issue and people would be more 'aware'. this would deter anyone i know of from stealing at a match

Nothing like you are experiencing. We did have a father and kids picking up brass during a steel match one time. It went on for awhile as nobody could quite believe their eyes. They got called on it and it never happened again. Some people have a LOT of nerve!

We had one high value mag go missing a few years ago - one person was suspected but it was never found - the suspect was later given the boot for a safety violation (severe) and we never had another event - so it can happen but has been very rare. I have heard of thieves targeting guns in cars at match hotels - this is a real concern.

I recommend marking mags and having a distinctive range bag to prevent the "I thought it was my bag" syndrome - I see many many Midway bags at every match and they do look alike.

To make sure I always leave with the same amount of mags I come with, all of my mags are marked and numbered with a paint pen.

I seriously doubt anything like this would happen with the group I shoot with. I routinely pick up mags that are discarded in COF to return to the shooter when he's completed the COF.

I have never seen it happen either. One time we were shooting the last stage of the day and a guy handed me a wrong magazine. I threw them all in the bag and continued to put up the targets. Well when I got home I found that I had a magazine that wasn't mine. I contacted the range director and took it back the next match without issue. I always worry about someone taking stuff on purpose though because I see people throw everything in their bags am leave it open all day. 99% of the time without issue. I hope no one ever steals at our range that would ruin it for a lot of people.

LOL, I've had a few mixups at matches shooting with other people. 3 folks with the same Dillon bags, shooting standard in .40 who buy all their components from the same source, loading mags, and getting ammo mixed up.

That's good for a laugh :) Especially when my gun is set up for 190-ishPF loads and theirs are set up for 175. Surprisingly there IS a difference ;)

It makes for good conversation at the end of the match.

In terms of someone deliberately stealing though, I haven't run across it ever.

+1

I personally have found most shooter to be quite honest. People will return mags when people forget to pick them up.

[they] he may have been confused,but i believe i would call him up and ask if he picked them up by mistake..

pays to have some kind of mark on ALL your equipment..

I was at a match and my truck was parked by the Safe Area. Several extra ammo boxes and my gun pouch were on the tailgate. When I returned after the match, the boxes had been moved and the gun pouch was gone. I assumed someone had "borrowed" it to get their gun back to their car and I let the MD know. A couple of weeks later the MD returned it to me. Indeed it seems someone had borrowed it. Now, all my bags have my initials embroidered on them.

One of the guys I shoot with brings his lab to the range and lets it run while we are setting up. That dog has stolen at least 2 mountain dews from me, one was taken right out of my range bag. And to make it worse, he flaunts it by running around with this look at me I stole your bottle look on his face. lol

I know an IDPA match director who had a few rounds of his CDP match ammo stolen out of his range bag.

(Turns out that ammo was nowhere close to 165 p.f. when checked over a chrono.......or so I've heard......)

lol.. surely an honest mistake - probably the same make range bag

I once thought that someone had taken a pair of my sunglasses at my home range. I found them last year moving a heavy piece of furniture away from the wall. At 6'4" I frequently put things on top of furniture. The sunglasses and ear plugs had somehow fallen behind and kept safe there for years. I wore them for a few weeks until my dog decided they looked appetizing enough to try.

Oh well. Live and learn. :(

Sometimes it is an honest match, be shooting USPSA for 30 years and IDPA for 112-13 years and have not had that problem, drop a mag on a stage and if I do not pick it up someone usually bring it back and some clubs have a lost and found. Most of the shooters I know are honest(alittle gamey) lol.

It is very unuasal for theft to happen at a range during a match.

Mike

Last year, at a match I was working, I thought someone had stolen my patch gun. I left it on the table for all to use and on the last day, after the last shooter, it was gone. I don't know when it went missing. My name was on the gun. I told the MD, who announced it at the awards but no go. A week later I got an email from the MD along with an address. I turns out that the person who took it has the same thing. I received it in the mail a week later, with apologies and returned gratitude.

I like to think that we are honest.

At an indoor match, one of the shooters had an STI double stack mag stolen. It was never returned.

I've never experienced anything like this while at a match. For the most part shooters are great people, they care for their equipment and respect others. We did have a shooter leave a gun (in the plastic box) behind at a match a few years ago and the gun never turned up. Other than that,,nothing

Most of the matches I work or shoot it is common for the pasters and setters to go down range and grab mags as they go. As the shooter and RO come up to the targets they are going to paste they hand them back. When we are shooting indoors we have a dedicated person who polices brass using a small broom and one of those folding dust pans. Usually by the time the shooter gets back to the shooting area all of their brass and mags have been picked up and the shooter just takes the entire dust pan back to their range bag.

We have the occasional "lost" mag which usually turns up in the shooters pocket.

I've never heard of it from our match. Then again we all pretty much know everybody. Dead weight gets cut out pretty quick around here. The people that are to lazy to work for their gear are to lazy to set steel, and paste.

on the other hand I wonder if its just a mistaken identity? Most of our guys have their mags labeled with their names also and then their is my mags which there is no mistaken whos those are lol.

I had a timer stolen out of my range bag. Staples was selling off microsoft Zune accessories and I found this neat case for a Zune that fit my CED timer and a few accessories. Someone grabbed that case out of my range bag.

The match in question had several new shooters who had brought wives and kids. I've always thought one of the kids thought it was an MP3 player in the zune case and stole it.

Ted

Lots of new shooters/new gun owners

+

magazine unavailability due to political climate

+

Poor economy

Makes me think it is possible nowadays....

But seems more likely to be an honest mistake.

If not, very depressing.