Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Where to move to? And still shoot

hmm, I spent some time in Atlanta and I wasn't overly impressed. I had a prostitute proposition me for half a sandwich.

so cost of living is low :surprise:

I'm still really looking around for a teaching gig, and I'll open a practice wherever that happens to be.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

So, this would be out then???? :roflol:

Been there done that!!! That pic must be in Mor-vegas!!! If you (Stevisterno)are interest I own property in VT with its own range and wildlife in the yard. Will give you one heck of a deal!!!

North Florida. Here in Jacksonville we have some of the best weather in the Country. Sure, it's warm in the summer but where I live, in Jacksonville Beach, the sea breeze kicks in every afternoon and drops the temps to a very manageable level. We have several universities and colleges (JU, UNF), inexpensive real estate, beaches, BEAUTIFUL WOMEN, culture, a pro football team, and yes lots and lots of shooting. Between the two big clubs in the city, and the ones in nearby St. Augustine, you can shoot a match 3 times a week around here. You'd love the winters (perfect sunny 70 degree days, cool nights) and there are plenty of BEAUTIFUL WOMEN. Just saying, it's heaven on earth.

Edited by Lifeislarge

I used to travel all over the US as part of my job. When the closing of our office left us with the opportunity to move anywhere we picked Phoenix. I know. Stupid hot is a deal breaker. All I will say is this... humidity will nuke you faster than temp. We lived in St Louis before moving here and I will tell you I will take the weather here any day of the week. We routinely eat outdoors if we are in the shade when it is 100. It just doesn't feel like it. You are at the epicenter of the USPSA world. Weekend matches here frequently include Rob, Angus, Nils plus a host of other GMs who will snap your ego like a dry twig. Prescott and Flagstaff are an easy drive away and normally 20 degrees cooler or more. I have started the day in the swimming pool, driven up to Flag to snowshoe and back to the hotub easily in a day.

If it is still too hot I would go with some of the others pointing you towards CO, UT, or somewhere around there. Beautiful area of the country.

hmm, right now it's 102 and humid in PA, and I forgot how truly hot that is. Dry heat is still hot, but it is much more manageable. Plus staying indoors in the heat of the day is better than staying indoors all winter up here.

So we've heard about the women in Florida, how about out west? :roflol:

Move to KENTUCKY. You can shoot on your land several local matches each month within driving distance and numerous major matches within 8 hours. Great country here in South Central Kentucky.

+1

Kentucky has some of the most 'Gun Friendly' communities in the country.

If you are an outdoorsman then look into Western Kentucky. We have over a dozen colleges from Owensboro and Bowling Green to Murray KY both private and state.

Also, if you fish and hunt, the Kentucky Lake area can be a blast in the fall for deer and small game and is within driving distance from most matches on the weekends.

I used to travel all over the US as part of my job. When the closing of our office left us with the opportunity to move anywhere we picked Phoenix. I know. Stupid hot is a deal breaker. All I will say is this... humidity will nuke you faster than temp. We lived in St Louis before moving here and I will tell you I will take the weather here any day of the week. We routinely eat outdoors if we are in the shade when it is 100. It just doesn't feel like it. You are at the epicenter of the USPSA world. Weekend matches here frequently include Rob, Angus, Nils plus a host of other GMs who will snap your ego like a dry twig. Prescott and Flagstaff are an easy drive away and normally 20 degrees cooler or more. I have started the day in the swimming pool, driven up to Flag to snowshoe and back to the hotub easily in a day.

If it is still too hot I would go with some of the others pointing you towards CO, UT, or somewhere around there. Beautiful area of the country.

How long of drive do you have to get far enough up in the mountains to go snowmobiling?

I know Payson has snowmobiling areas and that is at most 1 1/2 hours away. There may be something closer. Flagstaff is just over 2 hours away with several areas.

Now that is just too cool. Swimming, shooting, and snowmobiling all in the same weekend. If I were able to move anywhere it would be out there in the mountains.

This thread really has me wondering for myself.

My girlfriend and I are graduating from law school next spring and all of the places she wants to move have ridiculously high costs of living.

Arizona seems like it'd be so much fun compared to the other options. Although hot, no crazy winters, no humidity, ride motorcycles year round, plenty of public land to go four wheeling or shooting...seems like a no-brainer.

Now I just have to convince her that AZ has enough environmental/water/who knows what law problems and could use our services.

If you like the city live in Knoxville or buy some land just outside the city. We have UT, Maryville College, Roane State and Walter state to find a job. You will be really close to Orsa shooting club. You are also within 4 hr to shoot in Nashville TN,KY, GA, VA, WVA, NC and Al. We have the Great Smoky Mountains hiking, camping, fishing and hunting. Great yr round weather summer and winter IMHO. If you like to ride atv's or side by side we are close to windrock and ride royal blue. Gatlinburg has ski mountain for all your winter skiing or snowboard. TN no state income tax! Great place to live!

I will echo Tennessee, "Patron State of Shooting Stuff," and Knoxville in particular. Nearby Oak Ridge Sportsman Association is a great facility - Action Pistol Range with 8 bays, USPSA, IDPA,Steel Challenge and 3-gun matches every month, skeet and trap facilities, 1000 yard hi-power range, and close enough to other Area/State matches.

Remember, I did not advocate ATLANTA. Atlanta AREA - someplace out of the actual metro area. Not sure you could pay me enough to live inside the 285 beltway.

I grew up in Phoenix, and the shooting is out of sight there, no doubt, but you come damned close in the Atlanta area, and you don't have to drive so far for a change of scenery. A couple of hours in any direction and you a dramatic change of climate or scenery - Ocean/Gulf to the east and south, mountains/snow north.

Pretty good job environment. Macon, Newnan, Peachtree City. Birmingham, AL is another good choice.

Mark K

hmm, I spent some time in Atlanta and I wasn't overly impressed. I had a prostitute proposition me for half a sandwich.

What kind of sandwich? We talking Jersey Mike's or Subway?

Regardless, it DOES show the low cost of living compared to some cities. :closedeyes:

being a Hawaii resident I'd unfortunately have to advise NOT moving here if you dont want to deal with restrictive gun laws (10 rnd pistol mag limit, concealed carry virtually impossible to get, no Class III stuff). depending which island you live on, club matches are twice a month or on my island every Sunday except the first one of the month. and the club matches are good ones but smaller.

lots of outdoorsy type stuff to do here of course, but Hawaii's cost of living is too damn high thus my desire to move after I can retire in 9 yrs.

this thread intrigues me as the OP's requirements are pretty much exactly what I would want in a place to live after retirement, except leaving the country.

Remember, I did not advocate ATLANTA. Atlanta AREA - someplace out of the actual metro area. Not sure you could pay me enough to live inside the 285 beltway.

I grew up in Phoenix, and the shooting is out of sight there, no doubt, but you come damned close in the Atlanta area, and you don't have to drive so far for a change of scenery. A couple of hours in any direction and you a dramatic change of climate or scenery - Ocean/Gulf to the east and south, mountains/snow north.

Pretty good job environment. Macon, Newnan, Peachtree City. Birmingham, AL is another good choice.

Mark K

I think Ohio is too hot in the summer.

Hello: How about Albuquerque. You can shoot every weekend if you want to drive 30 minutes. You can ski in the winter and ride your bike the same day. It is a little hot but no humidity and very little snow in town that goes away in a day or so. Lots of outdoor stuff to do and has the UNM. Cost of living is good but houses cost a little more than Corpus Christi Texas :surprise: Lots of friendly people and great grenn chile's :cheers: Just my 2cents worth. Thanks, Eric

I will echo Tennessee, "Patron State of Shooting Stuff," and Knoxville in particular. Nearby Oak Ridge Sportsman Association is a great facility - Action Pistol Range with 8 bays, USPSA, IDPA,Steel Challenge and 3-gun matches every month, skeet and trap facilities, 1000 yard hi-power range, and close enough to other Area/State matches.

+1 on East TN and the Knoxville/Oak Ridge area. Lots of Chiropractors around here, however.