Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Zero or MG for a new reloader?

Atlgentlegiant

About to venture into reloading for the first time in many years. I loaded for shotgun previously so this is really my first time loading for centerfire pistol. Sharing a setup with a friend for now. I am loading for Glocks (35, 22, 23) and I have VV320(mainly for me for match ammo), Titegroup (plinking and secondary), WST (giving it a try) and CCI primers coming (PV was out of Federal SPP) and I have a source for brass. My bullet selection has come down to either Zero or MG 180 CMJ/TMJ.

My question is which one is easier to get started with i.e. is one more tolerant or forgiving than the other?

I do have access to a chrono and reloading manuals but just trying to make that final bullet selection. I have gleaned a lot of information off of these forums and thank you for those who have shared it.

Both Montana Gold and Zero are excellent bullets. I would go with the best price and availability. You will find at times one of the two may be out of stock. If that is the case just order the other brand. Any adjustments to the loader switching between the two will be minute. Make sure you use the chrono when working up loads and keep an eye out for signs of excessive pressure.

You might think about staying on one kind of powder, lest you get wires crossed. Titegroup is spiky if weight isn't correct. I love WST and run it in .45, .40 and 9mm, but it won't make major in a 22 or 23.

I think Zero makes a great bullet but with their price and almost never being available, I switched to MG years ago and never looked back. MGs seem a little slower compared to Zeros but both are quality bullets. MG usually gets me my order within 4-5 days and I'm on the East coast.

Both are great bullets. I get a little better velocity from Zeros and with the Montana recent price increase, Zeros are the better buy. You gotta order Zeros well in advance of needing them though as availability can be inconsistent. Lately, I've been running Precision Deltas. Slightly less than Zero and more consistent on delivery. They shoot the same as Montana and Zero out of my guns.

Thanks everyone. The mailperson and the UPS guy already kind of dislike me but laugh about it. As for powders keep in mind I am getting back into it and trying to determine what works best for me and my guns. The guy I am reloading with has the Glock 22 and he is looking for cheap practice and plinking loads as he does not compete. For me I am working on a minor GSSF/multi-gun load and a major USPSA L10 (G35 with stock or KKM barrel) load as well as a decent practice load I can shoot out of my carry 23. I'll eventually make some lead loads but a couple of the ranges I shoot at only allow jacketed loads. Given that I wanted to try a few different recipes to see what works best for me and based the powder decisions based on information I found on several sites. I figure I can easily sell any leftover powder locally if one does not work for me.

I use Zeros for locals/major match ammo; Montana Gold are great bullets but you need a little more powder to make major. accuracy wise I didnt notice much difference. they are the same price as Zeros but you have to buy a 2700 count case (165 grain .40 jhp) at $330 vs. a 2000 count case for Zeros. Its a little easier on the pocket book vs. dropping over $300 one time. as for availability just buy as much as you can afford when you see them in stock. when I saw Zeros available I'd buy a case every paycheck or every other paycheck until I was pretty well stocked. I save the jhps for local matches and majors and use Precision molys for practice. I save a little $ and spread out my supply of jhps.

They are definitely not the same price in 9mm, maybe in .40 but I haven't purchased those in years. I use the MG 124 CMJ and JHP and when you buy a case, it comes out to about 85/per K. The Zeros are 106/per K. That's a huge difference for bullets who I feel are the same in quality and shoot very well in all my guns. Even if the MGs were a little more expensive, I would still buy them since I got tired of always trying to get Zeros and had keep checking daily for weeks before I could find some. Life is just too short for that :)

I prefer Zero for no reasonable explanation. I have used MG extensively also. I will buy Zero bullets from a few different places, someone always seems to have what I want in stock.

I only use VV320. Using different powders may save you some money but does it alter your timing.

I had on load for 180JHP for close to six years. I never had to change anything. I always made major and had manageable muzzle flip. I have since gone to a 200 grain Zero and really like how soft my gun is shooting but it is a full length dust cover SV with a tungsten guide rod.

You might just want to stick with one recipe and increase your dry fire practice rather than changing things; this load for practice, that load for minor matches another load for major....

I've shot the 180 MG, Zero, Precision Delta, various plated and 185 and 170 moly bullets. For match ammo I prefer them in that order, with MG being the major player now as availability is good.

I might try experimenting with the Precision moly bullets again, using a lower charge of N320 than the MG's (for me they smoked too much for match play, using TiteGroup).

• 2 weeks later...

+1 for ZERO, as others stated, they are a little faster and you must crono if moving between manufactures. I always CALL them on the phone. Sometimes the website is not 100% accurate on availability. Shipping has always been fast on the east-coast. BTW - I am not knocking MG, the ones I have shot have been excellent.

I've always had good success with Precision Delta. Their 180 FMJs are pretty accurate and generally available. Pricing is also good, about $28/thousand cheaper and no shipping issues to the Atlanta area.

www.precisiondelta.com

Hello: The last batch of Zero 165grain JHP's I got are actually slower than the Montana Gold 165 grain JHP's with the same pistol and powder charge with 2 different powders. I thought this was odd but with Tite Group and also Winchester WST the Montana Golds are faster. I mostly use Montana Golds and some Precision Moly bullets in 170 grain. Thanks, Eric