Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

I don't know which open gun will be good

Mister

I am planing to get an open pistol soon. The caliber will be 9mm (major) since brass for 38super has to be bought and is expensive. And it will be a 2011 style pistol.

What I still don't know is, should it be a full size or a commander size (shorty) system and should I get a bull or a bushing barrel?

I guess that the short system with a bushing barrel would be the fastest cycling gun, possibly leading to ejection problems (forward ejection). But due to a low weight it should be better for fast transitions. And the full size system with a bullbarrel should be much slower cycling and shoot softer.

The gun should have a comp only. I don't think that holes in the barrel are a good idea, since the 9mm cartridge holds not so much powder like the 38super. What would You recommend?

Alex

I would go with a full size and a bull barrel. Running a shorty 9mm can be harsh on the gun and more difficult to make major although there are people running 9mm major shorties.

Also if you do a search there's probably hundreds of threads that cover this same topic in the "open pistols" section.

lilB

Most likely gonna ruffle some feathers here BUT...if you gonna go 9mm be sure to have a top builder build that gun. I see so many 9mm not run 1oo%.I would not even consider a used 9mm unless i bought it from someone I knew and saw the guy shoot it before. Keep in mind that for a top builder you will have a longer lead time.Its a short list..do your research. Also with the 9mm you gun is running at higher pressure and is taking more of a beating than the same gun in super..of course some of that depends on power choices. For what is worth I like a shorty and started with one...all these guns are relatively loud..long or short..if you like a light gun that swings easy or a heavy more stable gun...what do you shoot in limited?

I dont believe in the starter gun principle, open guns are high dollar entry fee and cost more to shoot..get the gun you envision the first time..maybe you need to shoot a couple different guns before you choose.

I guess that the short system with a bushing barrel would be the fastest cycling gun, possibly leading to ejection problems (forward ejection). But due to a low weight it should be better for fast transitions. And the full size system with a bullbarrel should be much slower cycling and shoot softer.

The guns cycle at nearly identical speeds, it just feels different due to the differet weights.

The best gun will the be the one you shoot the most. I have both types, the short light one is now a dedicated steel gun because Major 9 out of a lightweight gun is harsh and uncomfortable for me. The full size gun is just as fast for transitions and more comfortable to shoot.

I bought two TruBor's, both in 9mm Major

- one from Brazos.

The one from Brazos has run perfectly for three years

- love it

:cheers:

Yea thats my point...go with a top builder..that why my open gun was bought from Brazos..stupid reliable..is it going to work? never enters my mind..Now focus on shooting!!Yes its a longer wait but its worth it

I made the switch to open and debated the same as you did. I shot a full size, and a shorty. Ended up with a Bedell 9major shorty. I am more comfortable with the shorty over the full size and I feel for me, it points and transitions quicker. It has a full size comp and 2 poppel holes and I still don't have an issue making major. I researched and talked to people for a while before I made my decision. If you can shoot them, try em out and see what you like first hand.

One thing to consider with regard to what you said about brass cost is how many times you can reload 38SC. With 9mm most guys I know buy once fired brass for about three and a half cents apiece and shoot them once and don't pick them up. Not picking up your brass certainly has it's advantages. With 38SC you can reload it and reload it. The first time you shoot it the brass cost is about 13.5 cents, the next time you shoot it that drops to about 7 cents, on the third time reloading it you're down to what you pay for 9mm and you can typically reload it many more times. Of course you will lose some of it along the way, but in all likelihood you will have enough of it make it past the 3rd reloading to still be cost effective.

You also have more powder choices and flexibility with 38. I wouldn't let the cost of the brass weigh too heavily on your decision.

My answer is - neither. I have come to love mid-sized guns, my latest being the Limcat Razorcat, it is smack in the middle between the two extremes, it is my second gun of that size and I love it. Sometimes people are not aware there is something in that size.

Baring that, I would go with a shorty. Full size guns shoot pleasantly soft, but are too heavy for me. I keep trying it, by switching the Limcat to Dragoncat barrel, but it never stick.

9mm is the way to go, I think. I use my practice brass several times with no issues. Match brass is lost, of course.

9MM is cheaper if the brass is free!

I used to shoot 38SC and While I will agree that if you are buying brass, it is cheaper, it is the "collecting" part that I just couldn't stand. Staying late and picking through the brass bucket - YUK! I shoot my 9mm brass and let it lie.

Even I if was buying it, you can get it for $20/K. I would still let it lie.

To say that SC is cheaper is only true if you place no value on the time that you spend picking through the brass and the wear and tear on your back and knees. Most of the matches that I shoot are at least 2 hours away from home and I would much rather be on the road headed home than going through the brass bucket.

My open gun is a Bedell and I can tell you that in the 7-8K rounds that I have put through it, I have had exactly one FTE. That is within my definition of perfect. Shay at Akai is building some beautiful guns now as well. I have had work done by Gans and his turn around is amazing. Like days. I thought I read a while back that he isn't building guns anymore though - only slide work. I had a Benny Hill gun and I can tell you that Benny is truly one of the greats. A SV is on my bucket list too btw.

Any of the builders on this forum can probably build you a great gun. I have only had one bad experience with one of them and if you really want to hear about it, PM me.

I started on a shorty in super. A few years later I tried a fullsize, it felt slow and sluggish. Then I spent some time with the fullsize. I found my hits were better, and my transitions were the same. Soon the fullsize felt nice and soft and no longer slow and sluggish and the shorty felt violent and twitchy.

Either gun will work. It what you are used to and what you expect.

I shot super for awhile, now I'm going to 9. Even if it cost more in the long run, I am happy to pay that price to no longer have to dig around for my brass

Thank's a lot for the answers so far.

I can clarify that I can get once shot 9mm brass free, I just have to change it with the same weight of any used brass. 38 super brass would cost about 250$ per 1K here, a good reason why Europeans prefer to shoot 9mm.

The other thing is, open shorties are very rare and You can hardly test such guns here.

But I have learned now, that it does not matter what You have - shortie vs. full size or bull vs. bushingbarrel - it seems to be the whole package that makes a gun shooting fast and flat.

Alex

I am very new to Open. I have shot a shorty and a full size.

My decision was easy for a couple of reasons but I have a full size SV in 38SC. Great gun. Brandon put on a steel grip and reblued the gun. The only down side is the barrel has six holes in it. The concussion is tough on the RO. For me, I would not get a bushing barrel with a comp on the end of it. Too much of a hassle to take the gun apart and clean it. A tight lock up with a bull barrel is great.

Hello: Get a 5" in 9mm. Make sure it is light and it will do anything a shorty will do but better. A Tru Bor can be made to run great if you lighten the slide and use HS-6 powder with 115 grain bullets. Thanks, Eric

Eric they call that a Match Master, a bit shorter than the trubor, get the big comp and yes hs6 is good stuff but silhouette w/124gr is my choice. The match master has a lightened slide, and they seem to bee pretty good guns, I've seen more that a couple run them very well.

I just shot my Shorty today, after 1 stage I was back to the big boy full size, a little more flip and slap than I like, that little guy has a 7 oz slide. It does cycle fast but you feel slower since it moves more.

When it comes to bull or cone, I have basically two identical guns one bull one cone same comp hammer, trigger, grip, c-more etc. The bull gun weighs a bit more and balances a little more forward it seems to be flatter and softer when shooting, but I always shoot a better match with the cone gun, go figure. My only conclusion is it is too soft and too flat.

I also have near twin cone girls here's a pic http://www.sashooter.com/gallery/main.php?g2_itemId=794 The feel of these two is a bit different, and the only major difference is the blued one is way old and a bit lose but it feels so good, will run with rocks in it. Yes that huge comp works great for 9 major, well 38SC as well no drilling required.

I also have 38SC barrels and comps for these guns, but I hate picking up brass. Is 38SC softer and flatter, who cares my back don't hurt.

Hello: Get a 5" in 9mm. Make sure it is light and it will do anything a shorty will do but better. A Tru Bor can be made to run great if you lighten the slide and use HS-6 powder with 115 grain bullets. Thanks, Eric

or do this like i did one frame two top ends one in super and one in 9mm. Although notice the radical slide lightening and holes in bbl. This trubor shoots VERY well set up like this with a 115 and HS-6

but i must say the super shoots better with a 115 and hs-6. maybe its the hybrid bbl

545734_10150887757564375_1015326309_n.jpg