Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Fiber Optic color? Red or Green

Tom Brannon

When I first started with one I thought red was the way to go. Someone told me green was better but I stuck with red. Then I switched for giggles one day and could and pick up the green much faster. Green definitely was the way for me. It almost glows at you.

Just personal experience here, but green can be picked up much better. For me, it comes with a cost though, as I pick it up so well I tend to follow it wherever it goes. Red for me is very visible, but not so much that I follow it and loose a good sight picture on the target. YMMV

honestly, i like them both. to me the green is brighter outdoors. i shoot my Ruger 22/45 w/ a green fiber optic front sight, and my Springfield Range Officer w/ a red fiber optic front sight. the green does seem a bit brighter to me outdoors than the red, but the read is just as easy to pick up b/c i use all black rear sights. i think the green may also look brighter b/c it has a thicker fiber optic rod but that could just be an illusion.

currently using green in my Limited gun. seems like I can pick up the green faster than the red I used to use. I also shoot Open once in a while so when I had a red fiber I would subconsciously just hose with the Limited gun like I did with the Open gun. green seems to be more precise also.

I started with red but switched to green. Right now Im using yellow and perfer that over the other colars. It seemed alittle dull at first but after getting used of it I like it becuase the outside of the sight post stands out more. I would use whatever I had at the time over a standard sight.

I've used both. My G34, G35, and STI USPSA Single Stack all have red FO in different thicknesses. The only one I have green on is my M&P Pro. I have always thought red was the way to go, however recently I've found that I'm just a little faster at picking up the green. Since switching to the green my splits are faster, though accuracy has diminished a little. That's something I can work on. What I can't do is make my eyes pick up red any faster. I'll be replacing all of my FO sights with green.

Not a fan of F/O sights, I prefer black, BUT I am going to change everything that is red to green. For me, it is easier to focus on the top of the front sight when the green is in there than the red and my night sights all glow green, so I figured it would cross over better (being use to seeing the green). This is until I take the time to change out my f/o sights on everything.

wg

Im with WG.

I have used a red F/O ever since I started USPSA, it is really easy for the red F/O to pick up during hosing. What I found later was when using just a regular serrated front sight, you will be looking more at the top edges of your front sight, means more accuracy. Don't get me wrong, I could still be accurate with the F/O, its just that when the sun is up, the red just over powers the sight and it is easy to assume that you called a 'good' shot.

If I have to go back F/O, i would go green. YMMV.

For me it depends on the time of day. At dusk, dawn or moonlight the green is easier to pick up. My carry guns have green F/O on them. For bright light, I like the red. My competition guns have red F/O or plain black sights. It's not quite as bright as the green, but is still easy to pick up.

I am red/green colorblind (not severe) and find the green or yellow provides a better contrast. The red just disappears into the background at times, especially in lower light like we have here in the PNW at times.

• 3 weeks later...

Sometimes it all depends on the background on the range you are playing, green FO on a green foilage background seems to confuse me, out in the desert where its all tan burm background green FO stands out. Same reason why i went FO over white night sights, red / green FO stands out over white no shoot targets.

Also to be consistent & train my eyes to read with all my competition guns, i had switched to red to mimic the red dot on my open gun.

Depends on the lenses you plan to use as well. I like a green fiber and it is really sharp for me with Sunbuster Light Purple lenses. Yet that same fiber with Rudy Racing Red or their purple washes out and is too hard for me to see.

Edited by vluc