Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Open Division: No More Major Scoring

lynn jones

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a better idea...

instead of getting rid of Major/Minor scoring or power factor...

why dont we get rid of 32 round stages? why dont we go back to shooting El Presidente, Bill Drills, Mozambiques, etc., etc. Like the old days where you only needed perhaps 2 single stack count magazines for a stage and you tested some true skill?

I know I haven't competed in the last 21 years (I competed heavily 1986 - 1990) but now that I am coming back into the sport I love, I keep asking:

When did we decide that we needed 32 round courses of fire for one stage?!!!

Could it be that we have given up accuracy and skill for hi-cap spray and pray?

Why does IPSC/USPSA/IDPA need more divisions then there are gun models? hey, just two division people...TWO...T-W-O...semi-auto and revolvers and even thats a stretch for me. Just shoot with whatcha got. You can hit the target cant ya? It's a dance...just dance with the date you brought.

When did we start deciding that the old .45 acp, 9mm, and .38 super rounds were still too heavy and everyone's hands are just hurting and have boo-boos on them? geez...really guys? I mean do we want to get rid of power factors so we can lighten loads and shoot ultra-light ammo?! Wait, we already have that...airsoft! Just go shoot AirSoft or lazer tag and get the heck off of my range! Jeff Cooper, Ahern, Thell Reed, Eldon Carl, Ray Chapman,and Jack Weaver would all be getting drunk right now, standing in a circle and shooting each other with their 7 round single stack .45s to put themselves out of their misery at all the pansy wansy whining.

What the ____ is airsoft anyway?!

Do we need hundreds of dollars of space-age race super equipment for airsoft? SERIOUSLY?b]

IDPA....hmmm....red-headed step-child... okay, I admit I am only kidding. I like IDPA. Close as it gets to the OLD IPSC ideas and play days

10mm / 40 cal answer to a question that really was never asked.

Can those of us who came from the golden days of IPSC/USPSA have a sense of humor enough to laugh at the supposed 'evolution' of our sport? laugh? it is causing me to drink heavily and cry into my glass of 15 year old Havana Club rum. Thanks a lot guys! You kow how much this bottle cost me? Well, let's put it this way...way more than that plastic gum-ball shooting airsoft thingy-majig you got wrapped around your waist.

okay...before you guys start flaming me here...and although i am serious about some of the thngs i said....I posted this for a lighter mood. Or perhaps.... "Another round of drinks on me boys! Mr. Cooper what are you drinking sir?"

GONZO!!!

I like high round count stages they are more fun and demanding. If you want short courses shoot steel challenge. Which is fun as well but a different kind of fun. Nothing is better for me than doing a really challenging field course than leaves you with an elevated heart rate at the end of it.

Pat

This goes back to this thread

http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=95545&st=0&p=1093431&hl=ipsc%20missouri&fromsearch=1entry1093431

Let them change it, who gives a shi*, doesn't mean we will. It is different right now as is, they shoot 160 we shoot 165, their minimum bullet is 120gr. ours is 112gr. The way things are going, in 5-10 years I don't think we will have to worry about IPSC anyway.

How 'bout we get rid of major 9 and go back to 175 power factor and let the big boys play with big toys

I ain't skeer'd

making 9mm go 182 isn't that hard and it keeps the gun really nice and flat XD

Open is fine as is.

agreed

Sounds like it opens doors to open for the guy on the tight budget. Also sounds like a step backwards to one of the letters in DVC. I wouldn't mind seeing a whole new division added for this though. Minor Open perhaps?

I'm intrigued though. Think I'll take a minor gun to a few Open games at the local clubs and see where I land in the pack.

Personally if it where up to me we'd go the other way and raise the factors and let our ole pal recoil have his or her (see I'm PC!) fun.

There is nothing that needs changing in open. It needs to be left alone. If there is to be another division(as if we need it) let it be modified. I would build a gun for that divison, but we need to rethink starting a new division just to satisfy some lower common denominator, and we definetly need to rethink changing division requirement for the same reason.

Yep..let's take it back to the 175 PF ...only two divisions Semi-auto and revolver and let's see how the shooter's progress. Dance with the one that brng ya..or the one you brought to the dance anyway.

Okay, okay, I know it will never go back to 2 divisions...but at least go back to a real power factor. Regardless of equipment, caliber, optics, compensators, magazine capacity, etc. let's gt the power factor back up to acceptable standard of shooting...let's go retro boys and let's push for the 175. I believe that just re-institting the 175PF would make big changes.

I will continue to shoot major power factor regardless of rules, allowances, equipment, etc. Someone has to keep the tradition.

GONZO!!!

I had no problem with the old power factor, even thought it did tear up equipment that was used heavily.. I also have no problem with the new pf..as it has made my life easier with repairs..but lets not continue to dilute the pool of the competition.

If a lower power factor is that big a deal..then maybe one should re-evaluate why they are in open...or limited for that matter.

This goes back to this thread

http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=95545&st=0&p=1093431&hl=ipsc%20missouri&fromsearch=1entry1093431

Let them change it, who gives a shi*, doesn't mean we will. It is different right now as is, they shoot 160 we shoot 165, their minimum bullet is 120gr. ours is 112gr. The way things are going, in 5-10 years I don't think we will have to worry about IPSC anyway.

+1 IPSC already has a lower PF