Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Open Division: No More Major Scoring

lynn jones

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

95% of open shots hit the A anyways ? where the heck did you come up with that ? Fantasy island ?

:roflol::roflol::roflol::roflol:

Just as a quick example . . .here's Max Michel's hits from the Florida Open:

247 A's

60 C's

6 D's

That's 79% A hits.

Edited by Pro2AInPA

My $0.02 here...I think that the Open division should be major power factor only and use minor power factor scoring. After all, it's supposed to be the highest level of shooters and equipment so why not make it harder? :cheers:

Personally, I rather like the idea. It opens up the division to people who don't want to deal with something like .38 Super and don't like living on the edge with 9x19mm major.

Or compromise and make it minor scoring and a 145PF, Open people get too many breaks as it is <ducking and running>.

Personally, I rather like the idea. It opens up the division to people who don't want to deal with something like .38 Super and don't like living on the edge with 9x19mm major.

Or compromise and make it minor scoring and a 145PF, Open people get too many breaks as it is <ducking and running>.

The division is already open to people who don't want to shoot 9mm major or 38 super. They can shoot 9mm minor or .40 if they want. It's not like you HAVE to shoot major to shoot open. Making it a minor only division doesn't make any sense.

Just leave well enough alone. If you want to shoot 9mm minor in open then build a 9mm minor top end for your major gun. I did that and its up to me if I want to shoot major or minor in USPSA. Also, I shoot the 9mm minor in steel challange & regular steel plate competitions. I will be shooting the 9 mm minor in open division at this years PSA Shootout.

What's the bitch, I'm never going to be in the top 40 of open steel shooters and neither are you guys. If you are really that good, how come I don't see you on TV,in the magazines, or being sponsored by a major manufacturer? If you were that good then you would not need the extra major points. Just remember, if you are shooting A's it doesn't really matter does it? In steel plate there is no difference between minor & major, you hit the plate or you don't. USPSA Open Major is a gamer's sport and speed is the overiding factor. Shoot fast & less accurate & still win the stage. Time & accuracy are not evenly weighted in scoring.

What's the bitch, I'm never going to be in the top 40 of open steel shooters and neither are you guys.

Really, I finished 33rd at last years Steel Challenge in Piru with a 105, not far behind Phil Strater with a 101.

If you are really that good, how come I don't see you on TV,in the magazines, or being sponsored by a major manufacturer?

On this one I don't know, I just finished 7th at the Superstition Mountain Mystery 3-gun Match in Mesa, the only guy in the top 15 without a sponsor. 3rd at last years IRC didn't get me anything either or 4th the year before. Top tens at the USPSA Multi-gun National in both Tac-Scope and Limited over the past 2 years. As a Master I've won a sectional against 5 GM's. Nada. I guess you need to win a big one however I see lots of guys with sponsors who've never one a big or medium match.

Just because you finish well doesn't mean sponsors will be calling you, you have to ask.

Edited by TMC

copied from the IPSC Global Village:

Hi guys,

I want to seek your input about a new proposal to remove Major scoring from Open Division. This means Open would be Minor scoring only, the same as Production Division. The top reasons are:

1. Open guns are so much easier to shoot, 95% of shots hit the A Zone anyway, which always scores 5 points, Major or Minor.

2. If we abolish Major scoring in Open, many people will convert to 9x19mm, which is easy to supply as Official Match Ammo from mainstream manufacturers (e.g. Winchester, PMC, Federal, S&B, Fiocchi). Still want to BYO? No problem. Knock yourself out.

3. Additionally, the airline 5kgs limit would cease to be a problem for travellers. Whatever ammo you use at home will be available at the match. No need for gun tuning at the range.

4. Guns would last longer and Poppers would not get damaged so easily.

5. Less noise for Range Officers.

Rather than having an anonymous poll, I'd rather hear pro and con arguments. I'm wearing my Kevlar, so let's go .....

I don't agree. Open should be where there are little to no rules. Open should not be neutered by making it minor only.

Pat

I have a better idea...

instead of getting rid of Major/Minor scoring or power factor...

why dont we get rid of 32 round stages? why dont we go back to shooting El Presidente, Bill Drills, Mozambiques, etc., etc. Like the old days where you only needed perhaps 2 single stack count magazines for a stage and you tested some true skill?

I know I haven't competed in the last 21 years (I competed heavily 1986 - 1990) but now that I am coming back into the sport I love, I keep asking:

When did we decide that we needed 32 round courses of fire for one stage?!!!

Could it be that we have given up accuracy and skill for hi-cap spray and pray?

Why does IPSC/USPSA/IDPA need more divisions then there are gun models? hey, just two division people...TWO...T-W-O...semi-auto and revolvers and even thats a stretch for me. Just shoot with whatcha got. You can hit the target cant ya? It's a dance...just dance with the date you brought.

When did we start deciding that the old .45 acp, 9mm, and .38 super rounds were still too heavy and everyone's hands are just hurting and have boo-boos on them? geez...really guys? I mean do we want to get rid of power factors so we can lighten loads and shoot ultra-light ammo?! Wait, we already have that...airsoft! Just go shoot AirSoft or lazer tag and get the heck off of my range! Jeff Cooper, Ahern, Thell Reed, Eldon Carl, Ray Chapman,and Jack Weaver would all be getting drunk right now, standing in a circle and shooting each other with their 7 round single stack .45s to put themselves out of their misery at all the pansy wansy whining.

What the ____ is airsoft anyway?!

Do we need hundreds of dollars of space-age race super equipment for airsoft? SERIOUSLY?b]

IDPA....hmmm....red-headed step-child... okay, I admit I am only kidding. I like IDPA. Close as it gets to the OLD IPSC ideas and play days

10mm / 40 cal answer to a question that really was never asked.

Can those of us who came from the golden days of IPSC/USPSA have a sense of humor enough to laugh at the supposed 'evolution' of our sport? laugh? it is causing me to drink heavily and cry into my glass of 15 year old Havana Club rum. Thanks a lot guys! You kow how much this bottle cost me? Well, let's put it this way...way more than that plastic gum-ball shooting airsoft thingy-majig you got wrapped around your waist.

okay...before you guys start flaming me here...and although i am serious about some of the thngs i said....I posted this for a lighter mood. Or perhaps.... "Another round of drinks on me boys! Mr. Cooper what are you drinking sir?"

GONZO!!!

Edited by GONZO!!!

Just leave well enough alone. If you want to shoot 9mm minor in open then build a 9mm minor top end for your major gun. I did that and its up to me if I want to shoot major or minor in USPSA. Also, I shoot the 9mm minor in steel challange & regular steel plate competitions. I will be shooting the 9 mm minor in open division at this years PSA Shootout.

What's the bitch, I'm never going to be in the top 40 of open steel shooters and neither are you guys. If you are really that good, how come I don't see you on TV,in the magazines, or being sponsored by a major manufacturer? If you were that good then you would not need the extra major points. Just remember, if you are shooting A's it doesn't really matter does it? In steel plate there is no difference between minor & major, you hit the plate or you don't. USPSA Open Major is a gamer's sport and speed is the overiding factor. Shoot fast & less accurate & still win the stage. Time & accuracy are not evenly weighted in scoring.

wow that was a mouthfull, if even part of the statement's were correct this sport would never have gotten to where it is now.

Also many neither asked for or recieved sponsorship because that's the way they wanted it, and top 40TH place was a number to avoid at all costs.

Edited by Powder Finger

My $0.02 here...I think that the Open division should be major power factor only and use minor power factor scoring. After all, it's supposed to be the highest level of shooters and equipment so why not make it harder? :cheers:

I agree whole heartedly. There is another thread that talks about accuracy in USPSA that has 114 replies. This would put the accuracy requirement back into the equation. It would also put to an end to the saying "you can miss fast enough to win".

Edited by Action Pistolero