Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Keep messing up Classifiers

Pelican82

I think I just need to NOT know which stage is the classifier during a match. I can run any of the other stages with a really good hit factor compared to the Master class shooters, but when I get on a classifier I seem to psych myself out and can't break 60%

I'm in the same boat, I think we try too hard with classifiers and we crash and burn as a result. I need just one more good one to move up to the next class and I keep on screwing up on the classifiers as well. Its just a mental thing. Gotta try and shoot it like you dont care.

Well all this time I thought u-2 was just sand bagging. :roflol:. I normally finish a match with an overall percentage over 60% hit stages as high as 85% 90% but I can't make B in Open? Where I think it is, the field courses favor speed and the classifiers and lots of them have very tight shots favor accuracy. So on the next classifier just think hit, take the time you need to make the hit but don't leave any time on the table and it will come together.

Then when you know you have made it, they send the scores in with a check and they don't make the cut off, so now either sit home for a month or go out and blow it, with a mediorce run, no way burn it down or blow it out.

I put my B at risk yesterday but shot a 62% today well who knows.

It's always a problem of where our concern or attention is focused. If attention is focused on the outcome (classification) instead of the present action, the outcome is rarely good.

Learn to be where you are, not where you wish you were.

Its just a stage. Shoot it.

Thinking "ooh, this one counts, I have to shoot it in X.XX time" to make a set goal is a trap. Get your A's as fast as your front sight allows.

Having said that, (and all the mental stuff aside) - many classifiers do test certain skill sets besides spray and pray, and run and gun. Are you really comfortable with weak hand, barricades, awkward ports, partial targets, Virginia count?

Do you approach every shot that a classifier can demand and think "I can do that" because you have practiced all of the shots you use to hate or fear til you can't get them wrong?

you HAVE to get your hits on the classifiers. One miss or even a couple of Ds and your hurt bigtime. You just gotta try to treat it like a regular stage and not think about and try to not outshoot your own personal abilities.

you HAVE to get your hits on the classifiers. One miss or even a couple of Ds and your hurt bigtime. You just gotta try to treat it like a regular stage and not think about and try to not outshoot your own personal abilities.

+1 to this. Lot of it is mental conditioning/preparation. Lanny Bassham's book is a big help in this regard - Brian has it in his store.

Pelican,

Time and patience. You don't have that many matches under your belt yet if I understand correctly. Keep your positive attitude, you will go a long way. That said, I know exactly how you feel, and can totally understand the frustration.

WG

I use to focus on classifiers soo much. I learned to live without regard to them.

Classifiers are about draws and reloads. You have to get them down cold.

Accuracy is pretty much key. If you are very very fast you might be able to make up a low point hit with speed.

On your next classifier, focus on accuracy. Really go after your points. You will find in a short period of time your speed will come to you naturally.

The down side of focusing on speed rather than accuracy is that you might make it to the next classification but you will have so many defects that actually shooting that percentage in a match is highly unlikely.

I am a pretty solid B shooter, many of my finishes are right in line with my average. To me, that is what is important. I do not want to be a "paper GM/M/A/B." Let me say this, it was extremely hard to dial back the push for speed and replace it with the push for accuracy. I wish I did the accuracy first, it would have saved me a few years of bad habits.

It's always a problem of where our concern or attention is focused. If attention is focused on the outcome (classification) instead of the present action, the outcome is rarely good.

Perfectly said. Thanks Sam.

be

brilliant.

honestly this is a great way to put it :)

This is great stuff. Work first worry later.

Its just a stage. Shoot it.

Thinking "ooh, this one counts, I have to shoot it in X.XX time" to make a set goal is a trap. Get your A's as fast as your front sight allows.

Having said that, (and all the mental stuff aside) - many classifiers do test certain skill sets besides spray and pray, and run and gun. Are you really comfortable with weak hand, barricades, awkward ports, partial targets, Virginia count?

Do you approach every shot that a classifier can demand and think "I can do that" because you have practiced all of the shots you use to hate or fear til you can't get them wrong?

This takes me back to the horrors of the beginning. Now all I can do is smile about it as I look down from somewhere on the side of Progress Mountain. Thanks.

More words of wisdom from my friend and mentor. Sam is much more eloquent from the keyboard than he is at the range. He usually tells me to, "Just shoot the thing." :roflol:

Awesome- I like both!

The key is to consider ALL of the stages in the match just as important as the classifier. If you do that then every stage is very important to execute properly on and you get over being anxious about just the classifier. In the big picture of the match the classifier stages are usually not worth many match points, so they are effectively not the most critical stages to perform the best on. I go to a match to do the best I can for the whole match, not just a single stage. I would much rather tank a small classifier stage verses a 32 round field course.

I too have had struggles with classifier stages - gun malfunction, hit a no shoot, or had a miss :angry2: I was just pressing too hard trying to live up to unreasonable expectations. Recently, I shot an all-classifier match (5 stages). My mindset going into this match was just shoot A's however fast or slow it takes me, but settle for nothing less than A's. When the scores came out, I won the match. All I did was shoot consistently from stage-to-stage never worrying about competing with anyone or how the outcome would be counted for all time. My fear of the classifier stage is no more B) Also, it felt really good to finish a match knowing I shot solid A's and got the most points I could get. That was bang for the buck :D

• 3 weeks later...