Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Primer Pick Up Drill

sirveyr

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 8 months later...

Does anyone try to arrange the primers in a specific pattern to start with? I've tried that so that I can get some consistency with my transitions and be as efficient as possible with my movement.

Does anyone try to arrange the primers in a specific pattern to start with? I've tried that so that I can get some consistency with my transitions and be as efficient as possible with my movement.

Yes. I use an empty primer package, the plastic piece with all of the holes in it. I place it on top of the new package and carefully flip the entire unit over being sure to keep everything aligned. I then "smooth" the primers out with my finger, so that they are "primer side up". Then I place a piece of wood on top of the flipped primers, I use a clipboard, and then flip the board and primers over. If everything works our, you should have all the primers ready to be picked up in a perfect square shape. Does that make any sense? :blink:

I'm currently experimenting with a spring mounted on the plastic end of the tube to cause it to bounce off the tray after picking up a primer. I call it a "recoil inducer." I need to do more development work however as the bounce is currently very snappy and I prefer more of a push.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

I have created my own COF based on your original idea.

Unloaded start (primer flip tray empty with primers still boxed, hands behind head with fingers interlaced).

At start signal reloader engages first 200 primers strong hand only, for strings 300 and 400, weak hand only. String 500 is stronghand, then mandatory insertion of 100 primers into primer feeding tube.

String 600 is completed weak hand.

My time is 0. I conned my daughter into completing it for me while I took care of some business.

:excl:

• 5 months later...

I prefer rifle for my primer classifiers because I don't want to risk a slam fire. I did hear they are considering a limited 10 primer division for those of us behind the iron curtain. Gonna have to cut an drill new holes for the cotter pin, unless it's grandfathered and I can keep my preban primer pickup tubes...

I was on my way to a master class performance and got the dreaded double feed... followed by an upside down insertion... have to keep dry stacking... practicing with all the dead primers I have in my garbage can... practice makes perfect.

Edited by msp1jpp