Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Primer Pick Up Drill

sirveyr

How fast can you pick them up? All primers begin flipped and ready to be picked.

The key to this drill is intense focus on the pick-up tube. I have placed a small dot of paint in the inside of my pick-up tubes so that I "look" each primer into the tube. This drill is all about primer to primer transitions, so snapping your eyes to the next primer is paramount.

Small pistol division:

Winchester Small Pistol

Best: 33

Worst: 47

Avg: 35.3 (10 runs)

As of right now, 33 seconds is "my limit of human function" for this drill. I believe that it can be done in under 25 seconds. I plan to experiment with different primer brands. A local GM says that Federal Match primers are the way to go.

Since I invented the drill, here are the classifications:

GM: 25.9781

M: 30.1435

A: 35.0023

B: 41.2332

C: 47.1488

D: 54.9997

Based on this system, you can see that my 33 second run shows that I am picking up at a mid A class level.

Best of luck to everyone! :roflol:

BTW, the RF 100 is considered Open class.

Edited by sirveyr

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you get too aggressive and set one off, is it a procedural or a DQ?

If you set off multiple primers, would that be multiple procedurals, or just one for the initial offense?

Edited by bbbean

I wish I could remember my times, because I picked up primers like I was shooting a stage. (Pre-RF 100 days. ;) )

be

I'm sure you would dominate the drill, Brian. :lol: Maybe you and TGO could go head-to-head in primer pickin'? If would be just like old times, huh? :P

I can't believe I read this whole thread, now I can't believe I'm gonna time myself and post ......later :surprise:

haha, same here. im curious as to what my time would be as well, haha. oh what we do in the name of competition!

are there Categories approved for individual recognition ?

a. Lady

b. Junior Competitors under the age of 18 on the first day

of the match.

c. Senior Competitors over the age of 55 on the first day of

the match

d. Super Senior

my 9 year old grandson likes to help so that is one of his jobs now

• 1 month later...

I can't believe I read this whole thread, now I can't believe I'm gonna time myself and post ......later :surprise:

It funny I saw this and said "wow that's me" I just loaded up primer tubes for the old mans 45 but tomorrow i'am spending the day off doing 9mm and 223 brass sorting so i'am intrested to time it lol

I've been doing dryfire drills 25mins everyday this week and skipped lunch at work yesterday(indoor gun range) and fired 50rds for live drills. This forum is full of amazing ideas :)

• 4 months later...

I chamfer the plastic ends of the pickup tube with a case mouth chamfer tool so it's like a magwell. That makes it easier on the reloads. Does that put me in Limited 100? I've been doing that for years. Never checked the time, but it seems to go faster or at least easier. :cheers:

Wow I tried it and was right about the same for large and small primers. I guess I need to work on my reflexes or something because I pick up primers just like I shoot, high C to low B. :roflol::roflol::roflol:

I'm guessing limited class would be for things like brass primer pickup tube tips and custom tube grips?

Don't forget the lightening cuts on the tube, and the oversized/extended primer release pin!