Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Skipping a Texas star penalty?

Don't be intimidated by the Star it's just another target array. Start at the top right and work your way down the right side. It's all about sight picture and trigger control so it's going to do nothing but good things for you once you shoot it enough to figure it out. Besides like most other people have said already - you came their to shoot so "shoot it" and don't let it win even if it takes every mag/reload ;) you have.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I tell new shooter to hit the top plate then pick a side. Think of a clock face, aim at 2, if you miss or hit aim a bit lower 2:30-3 and wait for next target. After every shot you slowly go down the clock face. Never chase the plates, they will come to a stop and then reverse directions. Its when they stop that is the easiest time to hit them. You know where they are going, and that they will return. Just take your time and wait for that quarter sec when they are stopped.

However the evil stars... Just blast away and hope u get something

I have to add that I am not the best Texas Star shooter, and will prove it in the video below, but you have to learn to love them, cleaning one is a great feeling. That said, gimme my Benelli and I'll eat that star for lunch...lol.

By the way, the polish plate rack wasnt near as bad as I thought...

Edited by Bass Ackwardz

• 1 year later...

-80 would be bad. The first time I shot a texas star I was a little intimidated by it. Nothing to worry about, start at the top and blast away!!!

+1 they are fun once you get the hang of it. You might burn a little ammo the first few but you will get it. Find that front sight! Good luck!

• 2 months later...

Is it only me or this stage is not legal at all....?

8 paper, 8 poppers and 2 texas stars...

If I count well, I get 34 shots. The max isn't 32 in both IPSC & USPSA rules book?

1.2.1.3 “Long Courses” in Level III or higher matches must not require

more than 32 rounds to complete.

Locals and level II's can have more than 32 in a stage.

If I count well, I get 34 shots. The max isn't 32 in both IPSC & USPSA rules book?

You would know.... ;-)

You would know.... ;-)

:)

Instead of skipping it, at least put as many rounds downrange as there are plates, then at least its not a FTE. As others have stated, pick a side and work your way down, at least hit some of them before moving on. If your down to one and it take longer then 10 sec to get it, then move on.

We in MN have a sinister Section Coordinator. He designed a stage this last year with a partially blocked out Star. What fun! Any way-- Ben S. shot what ever he could hit with his 5 shots and moved on. He did win the stage.

And

We had a +++ 32 round stage.

Check us out for this years Section Match, 300 rounds one day. We'll also have that darn Bobber on a stage.

I think we have two very different questions here: (1) at your current skill level, what's the score-maximizing strategy?, and (2) what should you do at the upcoming match?

It doesn't look like skipping the stars will help you in either case, but even if you could maximize your score by skipping the stars, would you want to pass up the opportunity? How do you get better if you don't practice the challenging stuff?

That said, I think it's worth exploring questions like this, even if you conclude that you should do something for the experience despite the fact that it's sub-optimal for your score.

The texas star is a fun target, you are there to have fun. So shoot it

Ditto. After the first time or two shooting them, they become a lot of fun. Get an experienced shooter to explain the process with you.

The only time they are more difficult is when they do something evil like making one of the plates a no shoot, etc.

Mark K

they are FUN, until mark k. shoves florescent orange netting halfway between you and the star. Then something you used to do easily becomes a shoot to slide lock and FML reload. :sight:

Sad to say I have seen "experienced" shooters dispense questionable advice re: target engagement. Since I knew one of those gents well I asked him (off to the side) why he would intentionally recommend a way less than optimal engagement strategy. He smilled and told me he wanted to see if the new shooter could think his way out of the advice. I did take the new shooter aside and asked a series of questions like: If you shoot the a bottom plate first, where is the weight balance now and what starts to happen...If you shoot the top plate first ...same question. The new shooter smiled, thanked me and took the plates on ...top down, ambushing as they went. Left 3 but had a ball.

I'm no expert so I add another mag when I see a stage with a star.

Not for nothing.... but there are very few instances where skipping a target and taking the penalty's associated are worth it, with that said... sometimes if you are really fast you can afford to do it and it might actually make sense. Starting out shoot everything you can collect 90-95 % of all available points and you will be happy....keep shooting 90 - 95 % of the available points and your speed will pick up ...

All of that said.. I believe it is usually never a good idea to skip or delibertly miss targets.. SHoot em all and thank the range designer for the challenge.

• 4 months later...

Dubois,

Be brave and take a lil extra ammo, shoot the damnnnnn things you will not be the first or last that they make a monkey outa.

Most stars hang like a stick man, head up, arms out, legs down, shot the head first then the arms fast if you can, keeps it from spinning then the feet. Hold so up swing can be shot just as it breaks your sight plain.

If you don't cusss and say bad words the star will teach you. LOL

Have FUN, that's what it's about,

Perry

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I just don't get these threads about not shooting targets to try and get better scores ...if your current shooting skill is at a point where certain types of targets give you great trouble please explain to me how NOT shooting them is going to make you better at shooting them?

Also, why are you worrying about your score at this point in your shooting? The only thing you should care about at the moment is getting better at the fundamentals of practical shooting - shooting accuractly at speed.

My first match 2 years ago I had 23 Mikes (that's not a misprint). It took several months before I could finish a match and not leave some steel standing from a Star or Polish Plate Rack ... Fast forward to today and I've taken the Overall and Division win in back to back Local Steel Challenge matches.

Not trying to be mean but I think you'd be better served spending more time finding someone at your local club to help you learn to shoot these things than on how to 'game' a stage for more pts

Edited by Nimitz

Yes, this is a resurrected thread, up from the dead, but still...

My club often uses 4 white plates and one red no-shoot plate on its Texas stars. This, by design, causes it to spin much more wildly since you cannot stop the spinning by leveling the weight. They are a hoot to shoot.

Once I got so flustered by a star that I went through all 60 rounds on my belt. Most times, though, 8-10 rounds and I'm on to the next targets.