Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

what is your "Go to Food" while at the range

NJGlockGirl

So, what y'all are telling me is that HuskySig is the only one on this thread that actually cares about their match day performance... :surprise:roflol.gif

In my bag, you will find jerky (preferably Bar-X from Albuquerque, when I can get it), nuts (macs or almonds, mostly), and a small amount of fruit - usually dried but sometimes fresh. You'll also find a crap load of water (preferring SmartWater, right now - tastes good... don't know if the mineral content actually helps or not). I eat a lot of that stuff during the day. At night, on match nights, it's a big hunk of protein and bunch of veggies. More water. Sometimes unsweetened iced tea.

Post match... I'm not above stopping into the Dairy Queen for a little treat devil.gif

I was fairly certain that your snack would resemble this...

Lots of water is important. (start hydrating a few days before a match)

I'm more inclined to make a PBJ with almond butter and honey or all natural preserves on wheat-free/gluten-free bread.

To be followed by...the best jerky! Bar-X for sure but also Sante Fe Trail brand with red chile or pepper.(no fake stuff)

A good friend and great shooter recently explained to me how to plan the evening meal.

"A big hunk of meat with plenty of green stuff to move it out."

A simple communicator he is. :P

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is anyone using the whole Gatorade G-series system? I drink lots of G2 at hot matches but I was wondering if anyone was using G1 or G3?

I'm not drinking anything but G2 (didn't even know they had a 1 and 3). Has anyone else noticed this - when I drink too much Gatorade during hot weather, my fingers often swell and I loose some sensitivity in them.

This happens only with Gatorade - never with water, even in the hottest conditions?

Anyone else experience this?

if lunch isn't available at the range for an all-day major, I take a sammich

beef jerky

Special K protein bars and/or breakfast bars are my favorite food in "bar form"

fruit cups, applesauce or apple slices

lots o water and propel, and a pop around lunch for my needed caffine fix.

I've found I shoot better all day if I don't have one big "meal" but rather munch all day. At matches like the recent MI match where they provide a killer lunch, I try to limit to a sammich and a pop.

-rvb

• 4 months later...

I guess I should have a bucket of these at the cookie bin from now on!

Okay, I'll be the boring safety dork :P

If you're eating while at the range (nuts, sandwhiches, anything you have to touch), you're very likely getting lead into your system, which is really BAD. Take it from someone with a high lead count, you need to be careful about this.

Your body puts lead into your body through your intestines...so eating with lead on your hands (which you will have after one round fired with any sort of handgun, unless you're buying lead-free primers) is about the quickest way to get it into your system.

You can buy pre-packaged (individual wrap) handy wipes that are specifically made to remove lead from your hands (works on surfaces as well). I keep these in my range bag and in my truck...ten take up almost no space at all. They also make a wet/dry sort of soap that you can wipe off, or rise off...very handy. I'm sure there are other companies, but I get those two products from ESCA Tech.

This is one of the reasons I like granola bars or Pop Tarts...you can eat them without touching them...just hold the wrapper. Obviously, those of us with higher lead counts need to be more careful, but I think many folks would be surprised at how high their count is if they're not already doing the sorts of things I mentioned. R,

I may bring a box of munchkins, Ritz Bits, Gold Fish crackers, or pop starts. Basically what my 2 yr old likes that we have at home. Easier to grab and put in the bag.

My go to snacks seems like junk to what everyone else eats, may explain my gut!

Ryan

Im on the jerky bus! I carry that and usually like peanuts or almonds and a granola bar. When I RO at a big match I put a bowl of candy out! help people make it through the long day a little better! I also bring a few extra chairs n set up pn my stage so people who didnt happen to bring one can grab a qucik seat!

Is anyone using the whole Gatorade G-series system? I drink lots of G2 at hot matches but I was wondering if anyone was using G1 or G3?

I'm not drinking anything but G2 (didn't even know they had a 1 and 3). Has anyone else noticed this - when I drink too much Gatorade during hot weather, my fingers often swell and I loose some sensitivity in them.

This happens only with Gatorade - never with water, even in the hottest conditions?

Anyone else experience this?

Have you tried the G2 powder? It's very good! Tastes just like its out of the bottle. And cheaper. Dump it into a Deer Park sport bottle, and its perfect. ( costco by me has the 24 pack of deer park 24oz bottles for $5 ) Cheaper than buying it by the bottle.

And no, I haven't experienced the finger swell. It could be the sugar or sodium in the gatorade that is doing that, especially since you said it doesn't happen with water.

Friend of mine always brings vitamin gummi thingies and shares - I think Sunkist makes them. Love those things and they come in one-serving bags, no touching necessary.

I do my best to remember to drink aplenty, starting during the drive to the match, and frequently throughout the match. Water alone does not do it, I mix some Powerade (zero cal) in or juice. Texas summer matches remind you fairly quickly that hydrating is to be taken seriously.

For Major Matches: I usually have Chips Ahoy in the same lunch size bags in my gun bag. A bagel if they are around before the match. Almonds are usually somewhere nearby. And Gatorade.

Local Matches: I have chocolate milk and a bagel on the way to the match. A bagel or two while at the match and usually some type of zuccinn bread, unless AJ sees it and sees steals it. I drink crystal lite with a little gatorade during the summer matches.

I try and not have a sugar spike during the match, so I watch my cookie intake.

A variety of granola/nut type bars -- they taste okay, don't melt in hot weather and don't taste too bad. Can eat them with the wrappers part way on so you don't get lead and powder residue on it from your hands. Dried fruit fruit also comes in handy and gives a little variety. Normally drink just bottled water.

I can't eat a lot of things... nuts and fresh fruits are out.. so I tend to get energy bars that have some source of potasium.. The Zone perfect bars give me just the right boost of calories and I keep them in my shooting bags and in my vehicle. Otherwise PBJ's with water or propel. Sometimes if it's going to be a long day, I pack a lunch of whatever I can find in the fridge.. When I go to matches far from home I try to eat a normal breakfast and dinner, and fill in with whatever is easy to prep or buy. Thankfully I don't go to a lot of matches that have high temps..

Squad sized ice chest full of water & sports drinks.

Beef Jerky

3-4 banana's

trail mix

string cheese

Tylenol

Cliff bars

if it's going to be a long . . long match, a premade samich

and a giant soda or a chocolate milk for the drive home (caffine sugar fix to stay awake on the drive.)

Tylenol

and a giant soda or a chocolate milk for the drive home (caffine sugar fix to stay awake on the drive.)

I've noticed on several match rules, that Nonprescription meds are forbidden, I am a Pharmacist, and see no reason Tylenol/bc powder/Ibuprofen couldn't be used. I can't seem to get the point of that rule. Maybe some cold remedies or older generation antihistamines might cause drowsiness, but seems weird to do away with ALL nonprescription meds. Anyway, sorry for the thread drift.

Just to add about the sleepy driving, I've done it all, and to me the ABSOLUTE BEST THING to stay awake, is something salty, and crunchy to eat on. Like cashews, tater chips, corn nuts, etc. You cannot fall asleep while chewing on these things. Dang there I go thread drifting again.

I pretty much eat the same stuff mentioned here, water, gatorade, soda with lunch.