Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

• Replies 174
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Does the optic need to be permanently mounted? Can it be put on a flip to side mount? So that way on the hoser stages up close it could be used then for the longer stuff have the fancy irons?

OR have two groups within limited, an optics and an irons division.

btw, when is this taking effect/getting published "officially"?

It's posted on the USPSA site. We didn't specify a waiting period and it was meant to be passed in time for the Multigun Nationals. I believe it's effective now.

Wow, that was quick. Too bad I can't go, not enough time to ask for those days off :(

Well it is nice to see USPSA do this as well. I talked to Mike and Charles at quite some length about this change and now it is here. It is good to see Kentucky join in as well. Mike Pinto and I have been doing this for the last 1 1/2 years at OKC and we went from 4 dedicated iron shooters to a field of over 25 shooters in just 3 months. The only difference is we call it Tactical Non-Magnified. As for the idea of a red dot flip to the side etc. for close up...I have said for years...nothing beats irons up close, and nothing is going to start...well except those two times that Erik Lund did, but before or since no-one has come close. All the iron sight guys I have talked to WELCOME the challenge! I can't wait to see the spark grow into a burning ember and blossom into a great new/old division!

This is the best change EVER for the sport of 3-gun...now if we could just get a LITTLE unity on Heavy Metal we would be cooking. Maybe USPSA can follow what OKC Gun Club is doing there as well....HEY I TRIED!! I was one of the 5 guys who brought you all Heavy Metal (it was really called He-Man and it was Eddie Rhodes idea but RM3G made it happen) and now Tac Non-Magnified...who knows what is next??? Maybe open is open for shotguns?? Hey I am trying! KurtM

Edited by kurtm

Pat Kelley asked me what I thought about this at the IronMan this year and I was all for it.

Maybe this will get a few more people shooting Limited and make things a little more interesting.

It's posted on the USPSA site. We didn't specify a waiting period and it was meant to be passed in time for the Multigun Nationals. I believe it's effective now.

Anybody find the link?

yes :P

Members area -> Board meeting minutes -> Online Meetings -> 0712 minutes

Edited by gose

Does the optic need to be permanently mounted? Can it be put on a flip to side mount? So that way on the hoser stages up close it could be used then for the longer stuff have the fancy irons?

OR have two groups within limited, an optics and an irons division.

Limited is one division under this not two groups in the same division.

Mounting? You can spend just a much money as you desire on any mount you can afford.

Thanks Chuck and other BOD members. This will be the one thing that helps limited.

Glad our little club could be the proving ground for such a major revolution in multi-gun. Now let's get them folks out there and make Limited a viable division.

M

Looks like there is a snowball rolling. I will pass this info on to those who run our monthly matches held at the DPMS range. Iron shooters are not well represented anymore at our monthly match. Thanks to you PIONEERS. I will say that I recently had the opportunity to shoot a 4moa aimpoint side by side with my iron sights at 100 yards and (well those folks can keep their aimpoints and eotechs).

Thanks

Jay

its not a question of whether a unmagnified optic is better or worse than irons for shooting, its about not needing "perfect"????? vision to shoot well. and bringing the unmagnified class the participation to keep it alive and thriving, and hopefully increase participation. Now we just need the outlaw matches to accept it.

I hope that HM gets included in the umbrella, it might be the catalyst to eliminate the need for HM-optic, and make it one division again.

trapr

Anybody find the link?

yes :P

Members area -> Board meeting minutes -> Online Meetings -> 0712 minutes

To me, those aren't rules. Those are a list of the things the Board wanted to change in the multigun rules, but the actual final text of the changed rulebook not available anywhere that I can find. (I DID find a June 2010 Handgun Rulebook, but that's for a different topic.)

its not a question of whether a unmagnified optic is better or worse than irons for shooting, its about not needing "perfect"????? vision to shoot well. and bringing the unmagnified class the participation to keep it alive and thriving, and hopefully increase participation. Now we just need the outlaw matches to accept it.

I hope that HM gets included in the umbrella, it might be the catalyst to eliminate the need for HM-optic, and make it one division again.

trapr

Absolutely!!! I pressed this point with MV and hope that it happens. I feel there is a "wait and see" on how 1x Limited works out first.

Thanks to the Okies for plowing (you guys got pavement?) the way!

Patrick

This is a tad bit off subject but why wasn't the rule of Open division shotgun being limited to XX amount of shells not changed?

Nobody even brought it up. I'll certainly mention it to the MG committee. Especially since I have a Saiga being built. :devil:

+1

I look forward to actually reading the revised rules. I hope they can get revised in the next couple of weeks. As for the red dot in HM, I wish I could say I do better with my irons, but I am still better with a dot, so if that change comes down the pipe I would dot my rifle, but I have no illusions that a dot would make me the winner winner chicken dinner.

"Telling the new guy with a red dot to compete in Tactical against the guy with the $1600.00 Swarovski is a bit like telling him he's competing against the guy with the full custom 2011 with his Ruger P85."

And ironically, that guy actually still is. I've seen it suggested that USPSA should have a production 3-gun division.

Production Pistol

Iron Sighted Rifle

Pump Shotgun

Maybe the folks that still shoot irons could fit in this.

Edited by DyNo!

"Telling the new guy with a red dot to compete in Tactical against the guy with the $1600.00 Swarovski is a bit like telling him he's competing against the guy with the full custom 2011 with his Ruger P85."

And ironically, that guy actually still is. I've seen it suggested that USPSA should have a production 3-gun division.

Production Pistol

Iron Sighted Rifle

Pump Shotgun

Maybe the folks that still shoot irons could fit in this.

Very few new shooters use irons- at least the ones I've seen. And all the equipment in the world won't help a new shooter win a competition against someone who has put a lot of time and money into practice and matches.

Very few new shooters use irons- at least the ones I've seen. And all the equipment in the world won't help a new shooter win a competition against someone who has put a lot of time and money into practice and matches.

This division wouldn't target new shooters anymore than production division does though. Isn't the objective of production division in USPSA to allow shooters to compete with off the shelf equipment?

It is easy for me to imagine a skilled shooter who isn't new by any means having a Glock, pump shotgun, and AR15 (and not a 2011, Benelli M1/FN SLP, and AR-15 with an ELCAN or S&B Short-Dot). Those are also items I can walk into most any gunstore and manage to find.

Most AR-15's aren't sold with optics and I'm pretty confident that pump shotguns are more common than autoloaders.

Edited by DyNo!