Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Does dry fire really help?

JokerBravo

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Inexpensive and time efficient way to develop muscle memory.   This is something you can do in your spare time that will up your game.  

You will still need to include live fire in your training schedule.

To answer your question, yes it does help.

Edited by Flatland Shooter

It only works if you do it and the only reason anyone does it is to get better. Your choice. Good luck and if you are going to dry fire then do it right. Great practice makes for great results. 

Edited by a matt

Take the Pepsi challenge with it. Give it a chance, be objective, and see if it helps you. I'm betting it will and much more than you might think. One of those things where a little goes a long way. 

My schedule doesn't allow me to like I should but when I can I do. On weeks when I have time I try to just do 5 minutes each morning. Just some draws, reloads, sight pictures and transitions. My goal is to put my hands on the gun every day. When the weekend rolls around it definitely helps. I can feel the difference on weeks I do this and when I don't, the timer and leaderboard show it. 

For me more more practice would be better but life has to intrude . 

Dryfiring gives you lots of repetitions for little time and no money.

Draw to sight picture, or draw to trigger pull: sights appear on target "automatically" ... do the sights move when you pull the trigger?

Reloads

Transitions: find next target - gun goes where you look.

I bought one of these awhile back.     https://mantisx.com/

Attaches to your light/laser rail.  Can be used in dry fire or live fire.  Monitors/charts movements of the pistol as you use the trigger to release the hammer/striker to fire the gun.  Movement just before hammer/striker release and just after.

You can use your phone (android or I phone to communicate with it and reset it for the next string, etc.

It doesn't tell you if you kept the front/rear sight/target properly aligned.  It just tells you if you're letting your trigger finger and grip ruin you potential scores.

Dryfire makes up 99% of my practice.  Ideally i would get more live fire in but that is what i have time for.  Very cheap to try different approaches to things and for me, i can focus easier on little things in dryfire.

Dry firing doesn't cost you anything besides time and energy.  I would dry fire everything that doesn't "need" bullets.  Draw, getting on target, target transition, mag changes, foot work, etc.  Think of dry firing as free practice and live fire as validation for what you have been practicing.  Bullets cost money so why not dry fire then shoot what you practiced.  

To answer your question: Yes, it helps tremendously.  

While I dont know you and this almost seems like a troll post, I will bite.  

Dry fire works.  I went from C to A in two months and A to M 6 months later using 90% dry fire training.  You can get really good at classifier type shooting and gun handling really fast.  Just a few hours a week will take you to the top 15-20% at most local club matches pretty fast.  Make sure you are pushing yourself and not just going through the motions.  Depending on the amount of space you have to work with you can drill just about anything.

Just to be a jerk: Muscles do not have memory. 

Read BE or Lanny's books. 

The key is to develop your subconscious via conscious mind.  Your feelings are the most powerful aspects of memory as BE writes.

Lanny wrote about his schedule did not allow for much live fire time but he was able to do dry fire and still was more than competitive.

Steve Anderson wrote about his dry fire routines.

Max Michel talks about his dry fire routine in his classes.

Absolutely it helps. You develop the skill to get the gun in the same position every draw, reload, transition, etc. It is like practice without actually firing a round. So unless you can fire 100,000 rounds a year, Dryfire helps you accomplish nearly the same thing. It can be done in a living room, basement, bedroom or really anywhere you can tape something to a wall and have 10feet of room to back up. If you do dry fire, don't half ass it. Some people at the range who I know can absoluetly crush it if they wanted tell me that they sit in front of the TV and do it. You need no distractions so you can concentrate and be self assessing. Bad habits learned in dry fire will carry over to live fire. Also, do the same thing in dry fire you would o in live fire. If you use pro grip use it in dry fire. make things feel the same so ou get used to exactly how everything should feel so that the transition is seamless.

For a newbie what is best method for dry firing a 2011.... snap caps, dummy rounds, or reloads without primers?

names or links to the best product for the application would be appreciated 

Take the Pepsi challenge with it. Give it a chance, be objective, and see if it helps you. I'm betting it will and much more than you might think. One of those things where a little goes a long way. 

My schedule doesn't allow me to like I should but when I can I do. On weeks when I have time I try to just do 5 minutes each morning. Just some draws, reloads, sight pictures and transitions. My goal is to put my hands on the gun every day. When the weekend rolls around it definitely helps. I can feel the difference on weeks I do this and when I don't, the timer and leaderboard show it. 

For me more more practice would be better but life has to intrude . 
I do the same. I try every day or so to spend a few minutes not so much dry firing but drawing, reloading and acquiring a sight picture on transitions from say a light switch to a picture frame. It definately helps it not feel foreign when you shoot a match.

On 8/19/2017 at 4:02 PM, JokerBravo said:

Does dry fire practice at home really help?

Robert Vogel has said that for every life round he has shot on the range he has performed the same thing 10 times or more in dry fire before.   So yes, lots and lots of dry fire!

If you use dummy rounds, make sure they are clearly identifiable - so there's no chance of confusing them with live ones. Especially for reloads, a magazine that weighs the same as a full magazine would make sense.

The manufacturers say that my pistols and revolvers are OK to dry fire, but I improvise a buffer to keep the hammer fall from annoying She Who Must Be Obeyed.

48 minutes ago, jtrump said:

Robert Vogel has said that for every life round he has shot on the range he has performed the same thing 10 times or more in dry fire before.   So yes, lots and lots of dry fire!

Mone is more like 100 to one i bet. 

26 minutes ago, Cuz said:

Does anyone have a list of specific dry fire drills that work for them? Laid out in a 15-45 minute practice routine?

Thanks,
- Cuz

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ben stoeger has a pretty decent setup for dry fire drills that he does.   That's one place to get started.  Or work on what you feel you need extra work on. 

4 hours ago, CrashDodson said:

Mone is more like 100 to one i bet. 

That's what I was thinking haha.  He sits around with the pistol in his hand just to have that comfort that the gun is basically a part of him.  Seems crazy but he's doing something right :)