Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

what ar mags do you use

barebones1

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tony.... Missed the. TTI. I stand corrected ..... Do you run the 40 plus 5. Because the courses of fire work out that way..... A 45 round mag is HEAVY!!

Do all metal mags allow longer COAL. Or just the acs mags? I'm working up some 77's now......

I pretty much always have 46 in it, most stages I see require over 30 rounds and more is better than less. Its not light but it's never bothered me, I tried the ultra-light rifle bandwagon and it's not for me. I'm not sure how many other metal mags allow significantly longer COL, I did a little research and it sounded like the ASC's allowed the longest so I bought some. I actually have a top secret project I hope to get back to this fall that involves cut mags and a 75gr Amax loaded to 2.35, but don't tell anyone...

PMAG Gen 2 and Gen 3.  Old 20 round straights if there is a need to go prone, mostly 30 rounders (including a couple of "coupled"), 40 rounders, and a 48 round Nordic extended.

I've used USGI mags as well without issue, but I prefer the PMAGs.  

Why look for something besides a p-mag? It's likely that hex-mags, et al are comparable....but nothing is going to be "better". So just pickup some p-mags and move on, imho.

Edited by Stangs55

• 4 weeks later...
On August 14, 2016 at 8:30 AM, sschultz said:

Anybody had a look at the Daniel Defence 32 rounders yet

A buddy of mine has a bunch of them, and they seem like they are great mags. He put TTI Pmag extensions on a couple of his with minor fitting, and is getting 37-38 rounds in them with with perfect reliability so far. I own one myself, and have had no issues with it at all. I don't think DD is going to put their name on any product that is less than top notch.

On 9/10/2016 at 11:36 PM, amccallister said:

A buddy of mine has a bunch of them, and they seem like they are great mags. He put TTI Pmag extensions on a couple of his with minor fitting, and is getting 37-38 rounds in them with with perfect reliability so far. I own one myself, and have had no issues with it at all. I don't think DD is going to put their name on any product that is less than top notch.

They aren't bad at all...except for the price.  Hopefully that will come down, and we'll get some options from them (translucent or window would be nice).  I've been testing a couple with no issues so far.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I am running PMags in 20-30 & 40 round.   I have a pair of 30's linked together, and 30 and 40 with TTI base pads add +4-5 rounds.   Keep a 20 for occasional prone use.  This allows me to rest the gun down low and not have the mag as the bipod. 

On 8/5/2016 at 6:47 PM, biglou13 said:

surprised no one mentioned the p mag with taran tactical base pads.....

This for my 3-gun mags.  Tried Lancers and I really like them too.  I have a 40 and a 20 in my bag for special occasions.  One issue I've had is the Gen 3 Pmags do not work in my Lancer magwell.  I was not happy about that.  Not sure how you design a competition accessory that will not accept the most widely used mags.  On the other hand, not sure why Magpul had to change the outside design.

PMAG 40 gen3 with taccom +5 base pad for hoser stages.

Windowed gen2 30s when prone is an option.

20 round gen2 on the belt, and anytime a fast mag change is required. With a magwell, the 20 can be seated like a pistol mag.

• 2 weeks later...

Rifle mags are like oil changes... change them often, if you have a mag that is throwing rounds when you drop it thats no bueno, time for a new mag... I stick with Gen 3 Pmags, as i have had very few issues with them. I still have some gen 2's but i have had rounds thrown from gen 2's so they dont get any love anymore.

• 2 weeks later...
13 hours ago, STIboy said:

You might want to look at the Surefire 60 round magazines.  I've heard good things about them, and they let you load as much as you think you'll need on a stage.

HEAR SAY?.....from personal experience, they are super finicky. for the bigger high caps I long ago (this past summer) went to the D60 Drum

Edited by TRUBL