Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New IDPA Member - Any alternative to the "Tactical Vest" for

hartzpad

finally I've joined to give IDPA a try. I've never liked the tactical vests that everyone wears, seems really fake because only contractors wear those as a cover garment, but I understand why they are popular, lightweight for when it's hot and tons of pockets for mags, etc.

Any suggestions for a cover garment? Just a button up shirt with some weight in it to swing out of the way?

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What's not fake about putting weights in the corners of an unbuttoned shirt? The rule book gives the criteria for concealment garments. If whatever you wear meets those guidelines you're good to go; however, if you want to win at the game of IDPA someday, find a good vest and use it. There's nothing fake about them.

My avatar says it all. That's my big bahookie in jeans, thermal undershirt because of the temperature, and an unbuttoned Hawiaan shirt. I'd suggest sewing up the corners of your shirt if they're prone to catching things. It's a safety issue; few things scarier than a loaded pistol being forcefully disloged with a bunch of friends around.

Sounds like you're looking for some reasonable translation between the competition and real life. In that I laud you. However, please don't take the game of IDPA too seriously for tactical skills. IDPA is a great game, but it is a game.

Welcome to IDPA! Shoot, have fun, be safe.

Leam

I am not a big fan of the tactical vests either, they are just too bulky and hot. I switched to one of these and never looked back. They are light weight and easy to manipulate when playing the game.

I am not a big fan of the tactical vests either, they are just too bulky and hot. I switched to one of these and never looked back. They are light weight and easy to manipulate when playing the game.

I agree, this is what you need. Well IMO. :roflol:

I also keep a loaded mag in my right pocket when shooting IDPA. It helps when sweeping it out of the way.

Stay Safe,

A.T.

I shot our club championship using a Hawaii style party guy shirt, I think its a disadvantage due to its light weight.

with the vest, it typically has enough heft to allow for one good sweep and it clears the holster, where as the shirt was a nightmare.

I wear a button up baseball jersey of my favorite team unbuttoned of course. It works well for me and is about as light as you can get. I maybe loose a few tenths of a second but don't worry about it. If I carry with a owb holster it is what I would use in the real world.

I think FL has 1.5 Millon permit holders and I don't think I have seen a tactical vest outside of the IDPA match.

Anything that covers the gun and magazines will do if you learn to clear it. But lightweight fabric like a shirt will slow you down. I only wear my Hawaiian shirt for special occasions when style trumps performance.

In addition to the above suggestions, I have seen surplus BDU shirts and even suit coats with the sleeves cut off to produce a vest type garment. Dig in the back of the closet for lime green polyester and dress as Leisure Suit Larry.

I think light shirts with weighted pockets makes for a slower draw. As I sweep the garment away, the weighted portion wants to stay in place, so it hangs there for a second until I have pulled back enough to force it to slingshot past the gun.

With a cover garment such as the 5.11 vest, its rigid. So, as I sweep it away, the whole side moves as one piece and I can get to the gun quicker.

If the 5.11 is too "tactical timmy" for you, try this one out. Its made of firehose cotton, so its nearly as rigid, and looks more like a work vest than something a mall-ninja would wear.

http://www.duluthtrading.com/store/clothes...ests/71018.aspx

I like the looks of the Duluth stuff, one of our guys wore their "presentation jacket" when weather dictated long sleeves. But you have to be careful shopping for work vests, camping vests, travel vests, fishing vests, even real photographer's vests. A lot of them are not long enough to cover an OWB holster.

At my club, the Hawaiian shirt is the cover garment of choice. I've used little else for the last eight years. Maybe it's just a matter of adapting to the characteristics of the size, material, etc., but I haven't had any trouble getting it out of the way on the draw. Last weekend I wore a SIG Tac vest for the first time, and it's a bit heavy for Summer use. Come October, I'll wish it were fleece lined.

Edit: Great, there I am, wearing a vest in my avatar. That was the only time, really.

Edited by RickB

I like the Concealed Carry Clothiers vests because, while they were in fact designed to conceal a gun, and to be easy to sweep back for a fast draw, they were also specifically designed to NOT look militaristic and "tactical". I can't tell you how many people at an IDPA match have said to me, "Wow, your vest actually looks like....a vest."

http://www.concealedcarry.com/

Click on the "Vests" link in the upper left corner and you'll be able to check out each individual model they offer.

I agree, this is what you need. Well IMO. :roflol:

I also keep a loaded mag in my right pocket when shooting IDPA. It helps when sweeping it out of the way.

Stay Safe,

A.T.

I have an S&A vest. Never wear it. I'm back to my 5.11. It's stiff as a board and jumps right out of the way. The S&A vest, like a shirt, is too floppy and gets in the way.

The rules are set, and the 5.11 vest is the fastest, gamiest thing that fits. Of course I'm going to wear it.

For the record, several years ago I designated Friday as "Speak Softly and Wear a Loud Shirt" day wherever I happen to be working. Today I'm wearing the shirt in my avatar. :)

Leam

I agree with Duane. The Concealed Carry Clothier vest is a good choice. I wear one daily in the spring and summer, and at matches. It is easy to draw from, conceals well, and doesn't look all tactical timmy. Mine has been washed many times and is still holding up.

kr

I was thinking of buying a lighter vest because my 5.11 is too hot and a bit too "commando/operator", but the others, including the S&A, didn't really fit with my clothing or style. I went half way when I found the HUMVEE vest. It is a LOT cooler than my 5.11, with a mesh vent back, but not nearly as stiff (pockets will require some ammo in them to be cleared for a draw). Still a bit tacky-tactical, but at least I can stand it over teeshirts or Underarmor on these 100 degree days, and not feel like I have to take it off between stages. I think I paid about $40 for mine in a local shop. I may have wished I popped for the lightweight EOTAC I had looked at, but this was hanging there and I had some money. Vests have been like holsters for me, too many tries.

http://www.amazon.com/Humvee-Safari-Vest/dp/B000N4PMHO

Edited by sheepdog

• 1 month later...

I bought a knock off of one of one of the Beretta orange and tan field vests at Academy sporting goods for $5.00 (yes five-dollars!) on a closeout and I *love* it. It is heavy enough to get out of the way easily but still light and breathable because it is cotton and not a synthetic. Did I mention it has about a billion easy to open pockets and is easy to stash a tac-reload in one without looking!

The front pockets have a magnetic close instead of a button so even if you forget you can still get into them easily without fumbling around.

Yep I do get some ribbing about the blaze orange but, whenever someone needs to find me...they know exactly where I am and there is no mistaking my vest for someone else's! LOL

So far in this thread you can wear a vest that makes you look like a cowboy,deliverence cast member,hawaiian vacationer or tactical ted. LOL I use a 511 vest because it works for me who cares if someone else thinks you look to tactical tedish. :rolleyes: As for the right vest for you find one that works for you and rool with it!

Way back in March of 2006, I started a thread along similar lines. You can read about it here:

No, really, I am not into leather. :surprise:

If that thread isn't educational, at least you might get entertained by it. :roflol:

It looks like that link is no longer getting that picture that made SigLady say "Holy Crap". That is really too bad since that is the image that I visualize any time the subject of vests come up. :roflol:

Later,

Chuck