Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New IDPA Member - Any alternative to the "Tactical Vest" for

hartzpad

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I also keep a loaded mag in my right pocket when shooting IDPA. It helps when sweeping it out of the way.

Stay Safe,

A.T.

O.K., I'm all for the mag in the vest pocket. But, we have an old fart @ our club who hands out FTDR's like it's candy when he catches someone doing this. He says it's not in the spirit of the game. I can't find anything in the rule book that even remotely relates to this. Is it legal? BTW, I also keep a mag in each vest pocket :cheers:

DaG

I use the pseudo-Hawaiian shirts from Wal-Mart most of the time. I'm in the Army National Guard, so when DCUs were no longer authorized for wear, I took two of my DCU shirts to an alteration shop and had the sleeves professionally removed - instant vest. Oh, and I have a 5.11 vest, but that gets used mostly for travel and various military-related stuff.

I'm in the "use what you carry" crowd, so I usually use what I'm wearing that day.

I also keep a loaded mag in my right pocket when shooting IDPA. It helps when sweeping it out of the way.

Stay Safe,

A.T.

O.K., I'm all for the mag in the vest pocket. But, we have an old fart @ our club who hands out FTDR's like it's candy when he catches someone doing this. He says it's not in the spirit of the game. I can't find anything in the rule book that even remotely relates to this. Is it legal? BTW, I also keep a mag in each vest pocket :cheers:

DaG

Why would this be an issue? It is allowed to have magazines in your pocket. In the Ammunition Carrier Notes section of the rules, paragraph 3 says, "3. In lieu of the use of ammunition carriers, spare magazines (2), speedloaders (3) and moon clips(3) used in a CoF may be carried in the contestant’s pockets and used for any IDPA legal reload."

I hate it when people get so sanctimonious about the FTDR.

Why would this be an issue? It is allowed to have magazines in your pocket. In the Ammunition Carrier Notes section of the rules, paragraph 3 says, "3. In lieu of the use of ammunition carriers, spare magazines (2), speedloaders (3) and moon clips(3) used in a CoF may be carried in the contestant’s pockets and used for any IDPA legal reload."

I hate it when people get so sanctimonious about the FTDR.

It would be an issue if the shooter had the allowed two mags in mag pouches plus the one in the pocket. The rule says "in lieu of", not "in addition to". Having the mag in the pocket solely for the weight, in addition to having two others, would merit an FTDR. If the shooter chooses to keep both mags in his pockets with none on his belt, no problem.

The rule says "in lieu of", not "in addition to". Having the mag in the pocket solely for the weight, in addition to having two others, would merit an FTDR. If the shooter chooses to keep both mags in his pockets with none on his belt, no problem.

That's where I get confused. I always was told you can carry as many as you want but only 2 mags were allowed on the belt. So does the rulebook specifically spell out a FTDR for having extra mags in the vest pockets? Thanks for any info you can provide.

DaG

So does the rulebook specifically spell out a FTDR for having extra mags in the vest pockets?

It doesn't specifically spell that, or other infractions, out. It would be an obvious violation of a stated rule. To be honest, if I were SOing a shooter and found this out, the first time would be a procedural, since it could well have been a mistake or an oversight. The next time would be an FTDR, because it would be a clear attempt to intentionally violate a rule for a competitive advantage.

Some shooters get away with this, even at major matches, because SOs don't frisk shooters prior to the beep. My guess is that most shooters who put the extra mag in their vest pocket do so because they're unaware that it's a rule violation...and if they're caught, probably get a procedural, accept it while kicking themselves in the butt, and don't do it again.

I have enough stuff in my pants pockets (usually spare mags for the next stage) as it is.

Ah-hah!! So, can I get a ruling from IDPA HQ on whether or not it's okay for me to start a stage with a bunch of extra loaded mags in my pocket, enough to take me through the match, as long as I don't use them during the stage?

That would be correct. Extra mags in a pocket are ok as long as they are not used in the String of fire. You can only use a maximum of three in any string of fire. Spares in the pocket for use in the next string or stage is legal.

Robert Ray

IDPA HQ

Now I'm really confused. I read all 4 pages of the previous thread and it seems it's more about using the barney mag in a COF. My question is can the barney mag be stored in the vest pocketinstead of the pants pocket as long as it's not used in the COF. I understand the part that reloads must come from the belt if you're using pouches and also the rule where it states the # of mags that can be used on the belt The part where I'm confused is how you can get a FTDR if you have spare mags in your vest pocket when they are not used. According to the quote above from RR you can have spares in the pocket. He just does not specify what/whick pockets. And I still can't find a rule that would support FTDR especially with the above quote. Thanks in advance for more info.

DaG

I would advise against carrying the Barney mag in the right-hand main pocket of the vest-that is what would get you the FTDR if the SO catches you. Upper vest pocket would be OK. The Barney mag would add weight to the right-hand pocket and make it easier to sweep aside during the draw. You could keep it in the left-hand vest pocket with no problems. This of course applies to a right-handed shooter-would be the opposite for a left-handed shooter.

Edited by The_Vigilante

This is seguing into a rules question about the legality of carrying a magazine in the vest pocket, and away from the original question of alternatives to the "tactical vest" for IDPA. Anyone who wishes to is quite welcome to post this as a topic for discussion in the IDPA Rules forum, but in this thread let's stick to the original question and avoid thread drift.

Duane Thomas

IDPA Forum Moderator

• 2 weeks later...

Back to the original question. I almost always wear a 5.11 vest in matches. On the rare occasion when I feel less like playing the game, or if I managed not to bring the vest (more like daily carry) to a local match, an untucked polo shirt over an IWB is the uniform of the day. Several folks locally have taken to rotating in a "regular carry" outfit every so often at local matches.

• 1 month later...

I wear a Columbia or Cabelas fleece vest for IDPA. I wear one just about everyday once the temps drop so I figured I might as well wear it for IDPA. Cheap, soft, warm and they don't scream "tacticool / mall ninja".......

• 1 month later...
I am planning on getting into IDPA next year. So what I am reading is that the 5.11 vest is probably the most popular and a good starting point for my first vest?

I was actually thinking about using a cape. Is that legal if it conceals my gun and mags?

Not sure on the most popular vests. I just use my t-shirt or a baseball jersey. Below is from the rule book. Nothing against capes as long as there is no safety issues and it covered your gear when you hold you arms straight out. I would be worried how it worked for you when in seated starting positions. The only thing I could pull from the rules that might be against it is "practical for your environment" but that would be pretty subjective.

3. Concealment Garments.

All equipment should be so placed that, when wearing an open

concealment garment with your arms extended at your sides and

parallel to the ground, it can NOT been seen from the front, rear or

sides. Your concealment garment should be practical for your

environment and loose enough to allow easy movement.

Competition only garments are prohibited. Competition only

garments are defined as: vented or mesh vests that allow the

firearm, holster, spare ammo or ammo carriers to be visible when

standing normally, chest pockets, specially-made pockets or any

material inserted in pockets or around pockets to keep the pocket

open for stowage of partial magazines after a reload. Garments

that are considered “competition only” will incur an FTDR.

See “Proper Magazine Retention” in the Glossary for further

details.

I shoot IDPA with the same stuff I use every day. Same vest, same gun, same holster, same mag pouches, same....well, everything, except for the fact I'm usually running hardball, either factory or handloaded, instead of hollowpoints.

Wow I wish I could say the same Duane. My gun(not allowed in Idpa), holster(also not allowed in idpa), and I dont use a mag pouch just 1 xtra in the pocket. and you would never catch me in a 5.11 vest on the street but I just orderd one for idpa..lol

Thats one of my beefs with idpa I wish we could compete with what we actually carry..lol

I shoot IDPA with the same stuff I use every day. Same vest, same gun, same holster, same mag pouches, same....well, everything, except for the fact I'm usually running hardball, either factory or handloaded, instead of hollowpoints.

Wow I wish I could say the same Duane. My gun(not allowed in Idpa), holster(also not allowed in idpa), and I dont use a mag pouch just 1 xtra in the pocket. and you would never catch me in a 5.11 vest on the street but I just orderd one for idpa..lol

Thats one of my beefs with idpa I wish we could compete with what we actually carry..lol

What do you have that you can't compete with? Is the pistol less then 9mm or .38? Is it a pocket holster or crossdraw?

Well I do ocassionally carry an lcp in my pocket and yes cross draw when I am driving but I have a glock with and over size mag release slide lightend seattle slug and a few other mods..lol so it takes all 3 of my carry guns and carry holsters and throws them out the window. I cant use my uspsa holster either..lol its drop offset..lol..so there you have it

So i end up using a glock 17 that is mostly stock and a cheap 12$ uncle mikes holster and a jacket for idpa

Edited by chefcs5