Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Low Carb, High Protein Snack??

Bill Nesbitt

I took a 2 day class last summer with Richard Young SASS alias Tequila, and he suggests drinking Slim Fast. Now I never tried it as I was already using lots of water, bananas and power bars. A couple of guys that were in the class tried slim fast at the matches and raved about it helping maintain their energy levels in the 100 degree plus valley heat while dressed in that wonderful cowboy attire:)

HHHmmmm, maybe I will try that Slim Fast:/

Keith

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 4 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 8 months later...

I've recently tried a product that I hadn't seen before and I highly recommend it.

It is a PayDay Pro high protein energy bar.

It looks and tastes like a regular Payday candy bar although not quite as sweet.

240 cal. , 12 g fat and 15 g protein, 19 g carbs.

Also not as expensive as the typical energy bars.

$1.39 at the local Kroger grocery store.

Relatively low fat, good protein content and enough carbs to keep me from crashing halfway through my workout.

I like it.

Tls

Edited by tlshores

• 1 month later...

I'm not expert, but the two classes I've taken the instructors (TJ and the Burner) mentioned nutrition and snacking a lot. This is a good thread.

I tried Powerbars, just cus they get all the press, but they ain't cheap, you're eating gritty playdough and the first ingredient of this high tech energy, blah blah, rah rah, is ALWAYS High Fructose Corn Syrup. Pass on that.

If they were free I would eat a lot of CLif bars. They actually taste like you grabbed a cookie as a snack, and unlike powerbars the first ingredient is not always HFCS. Clif bars are nice, and have intersting flavors, like iced carrot cake or lemmon poppyseed, but they are about $1.50 and up per.

Find something with soy or whey protien, or something organic as the first / biggest ingredient. For my sixty cents the costco soft granola bars are 1/3 the price and identical nutrition. Packs of loose trail mix (also Costco) are a nice change of pace. Also no HFCS

If they were free I would eat a lot of CLif bars.

I like Cliff Bars a lot, myself. I pay about $1/ea around here - local grocery store carries them in a lot of flavors. They contain Brown Rice Syrup as the main sugary thing, which is far preferable other stuff. I chuck a couple in the bag, along w/ some crackers, and, if it's a long day, a banana and some Starkist Tuna (in a pouch - take a disposable fork, too).

I try to avoid hamburgers and hotdogs on the range... though if at PASA park, one *must* eat a pork chop sandwich :lol:

ES

You can get Clif Bars at Publix and at Target for about $1 each.

Target also has these things called BE Powered Protein bars - can't find a link because they're new - they're good too. About $1.30 for those: 150cal, 20 fat cal, 22g carbs, 13g of protein which is a lot.

EN

I think I ate all the different kinds of energy bars while I was climbing a lot.. Clif bars were pretty good, but could be a little dry and boring sometimes. If I could keep 'em reasonably cool and unmelted, I'd go for Balance bars or Luna bars. Clif bars rock for not melting and making a mess when it's 100 degrees outside and you thought that climbing up the sunny side of a 500 foot granite dome with no shade would be fun.

I'm pobably dating myself with this one but here goes.

In my younger days of outback we had no "power protien whammy jammy bars or fluid" so we made our own snacks "GORP" and Gatorade (the Gatorade was commercially available). The GORP was equal parts of Gumdrops, M&M's (the O) Raisens and Peanuts (salted). I have since substituted the Gumbdrops with dried fruit.

If in the future you see some guy sitting in the shade quenching thirst with a wine sack of gatorade and replenishing his bod with colorful solids from a ziplock it is probably me.

I did try a power bar once, it tasted like a cross between dried Alpo and "Trim" (the horse feed). Don't ask :ph34r:

Recently I've developed a habit for Pria bars. They are a Powerbar product and from their website I guess the aim it a women, but I'm not ashamed to buy them. At the local warehouse type store I can pick them up for about $17 per 20 and they come in about 4 types, each type with 3 to 5 flavors. Currently I'm buying their Complete Nutrition Bar, 170cal, 6g Fat, 22g carb (7 sugar, 5 fiber), 11g protein and and insane list of vitamins and minerals.

I did try a power bar once, it tasted like a cross between dried Alpo and "Trim" (the horse feed). Don't ask :ph34r:

A buddy of mine and I had a steady diet of PowerBars in PASA at the '97 Open Nationals. We got a lot of giggles out of referring to them as various flavors of, well... excrement... Heh.. leave it to guys, I guess... :D But... "Mmmmm, tastes like chocolate and ****..." Didn't stop us from eating them, but... I've never gone back to them, either :D

Cause it's true.... :D

• 1 month later...