Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Swine Flu- Are YOU ready?

So, I'm not totally sure how much to believe as far as what we are hearing about Swine Flu being the next Pandemic. Is it true or is it media hype?

But here's my question: for those of you who don't permanently keep a Survival Kit on-hand (i.e, packaged meals, bottled water, generators, etc), have you started preparing for what might come of the Swine Flu?

Fox News reports that one of the biggest blows from a pandemic will be the economic one, as people are forced to stay out of work and consumption of goods decreases significantly. That got me thinking that I might want to have some items on-hand in case it gets really bad and businesses close their doors.

Have you started preparing? And if so, what's in your kit?

Basic necessities include food, water, shelter. Depending on how long you think this might last and how much you available to spend you can do a little or a lot.

A largish quantity of rice and dried beans can sustain you for a long time, is easy to store (if you can keep the pests out of it and keep it dry) but you might want more and neither is worth much if you don't have the facility to cook them.

Forget fancy cook stoves that need specialized cartridges for a long term situation.

If you live in an area where wild game is available and like many figure that pandemic = no game laws then you have more resources.

Figure you cannot count on public utilities for anything including water.

Also figure that those that didn't bother to plan are going to hope that you will help them. As times get more desperate they are likely to become more aggressive. That probably isn't a problem for most of us at least from an equipment standpoint.

A quantity of N95 masks is a good idea. Painter's masks and cloth surgical masks are close to worthless against a virus. Many N95s are sized and you have to have the right size for each person that will wear them. There are ways to make educated guesses as to what size works best for you.

Also don't forget any medications anyone in the family needs, food for pets and livestock, etc.

My preperation is just going on with my daily life. Being 60 years old I have seen many earth shattering problems that are just around the corner according to the news media. Last one was the bird flu. Before that Y2K. Before that the mad cow disease. The news has to sensationalize everything to sell and keep selling their goods to the ignorant public. The Swine Flu is affecting many poeple in Mexico. Look at the overall standard of living south of the border which a huge part of is overall health and sanitation conditions. Same situation was seen with the bird flu and the Asian countries it affected. Look at the overall numbers of people affected in this and earlier health scares. A tiny, tiny percentage. There are thousands of "professionals" who will say almost anything for their 15 minutes of fame. Add to that the fact that the media folks will go out and find someone that espouses just what said media wants to hear. Take a look at the timeline that Fox News is showing. Very few people, even in Mexico, have actually been diagnosed with it. News accounts tell of hundreds having suspected flu symptoms. Now what is the population of Mexico?

In the case of the Swine Flu I find it very interesting that the current administration so easily jumped on this bandwagon. In just a matter of days we have Homeland Defense involved. They describe it as a possible pandemic. If that is truly the case or at least a possibility why are they not closing the border to human traffic, to truck traffic carrying any and all sorts of products.

I could very well be wrong but after someone calls "wolf"many times I tend to just go on with my life and wait for the next problem to be sensationalized by the media.

Now the lack of primers is a real tragedy.

CYa,

Pat

40-41 cases 1 hospitalization in the U.S. due to swine flu. hmmm let's see according to the CDC more than 200,000 people are hospitalized and roughly 36,000 die each year from good ole fashioned run of the mill flu. I believe in being prepared but I think I'll skip this 'crisis'

I keep a decent supply of distilled water, food and ammo. I think I need a good first aid kit. I guess I need to brave the diseased masses and go shopping.

<sarcasm mode, kinda on>

so all we need now is some sort of huge natural disaster to happen and we will have the trifecta of worst case scenarios all happening at the same time.

great... just great.... :mellow:

<mode off>

Yeah, the media hype is rubbing me the wrong way too.

For the older folks on this board, when did the media's fascination with body counts start exactly? Was it strictly during Vietnam?

For us, being prepared for the swine flu is plenty of over the counter flu meds, Sprite or 7-Up for the upset stomach and popcicles for the sore throat.

We also keep an adequate supply of food and bottled water where we do not need to run into town every day or so. After the last hurricane hit, we were without power for two weeks and water for three weeks, so we have a good idea what we need to stay comfortable until public services kick back in.

And if I'm running a 103 degree fever I should not be on the road.

Bill

I'm frankly more concerned about the ammo and reloading components shortage than another 'scare' about some disease. Take normal precautions and we'll all probably be just fine. I wouldn't be going to Mexico just now, though... but, as the guy said, look at the sanitation and health problems there compared to here. Someone brought up that very point in conversation at the office a couple of days ago.

We have only one serious problem in this world anyway...... overpopulation.

I think we'll know much more about how all this will turn out in the next few days. In the meantime wash your hands often and get yourself a bottle of the hand sanitizing gel and use that when you can't wash your hands. If you are really paranoid, get a prescription for Tamiflu or Relenza. These are both antiviral medications that decrease viral replication, but only if you start it within 48 hours of the onset of symptoms. Tamiflu is an oral capsule and Relenza is an inhaler.

Seiichi

I'm frankly more concerned about the ammo and reloading components shortage than another 'scare' about some disease. Take normal precautions and we'll all probably be just fine. I wouldn't be going to Mexico just now, though... but, as the guy said, look at the sanitation and health problems there compared to here. Someone brought up that very point in conversation at the office a couple of days ago.

The estimated population of the world in 2050 will be 8 billion people.

The average size of a US prison cell is 8' by 8' or 64 sq ft.

If you give 8 billion people 64 sq ft of space (enough to lie down in ... move a bit...), you can put 8 billion people in a square that measures approximately 136 miles on each side. That square would fit inside the Texas panhandle.

Yeah... I guess were running out of real estate on good ol planet earth.

All the water that ever existed on the planet is still here in one place or another (except water sent into space or destroyed in underwater nuke tests). We all drink recycled dinosaur pee on a daily basis.

And what about that sun.....?

Argggghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!

The estimated population of the world in 2050 will be 8 billion people.

The average size of a US prison cell is 8' by 8' or 64 sq ft.

If you give 8 billion people 64 sq ft of space (enough to lie down in ... move a bit...), you can put 8 billion people in a square that measures approximately 136 miles on each side. That square would fit inside the Texas panhandle.

Yeah... I guess were running out of real estate on good ol planet earth.

All the water that ever existed on the planet is still here in one place or another (except water sent into space or destroyed in underwater nuke tests). We all drink recycled dinosaur pee on a daily basis.

And what about that sun.....?

Argggghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!

If some want to live in an 8' by 8' cell - go for it. Count me out. I ain't interested.

I'm with Siggy. Population is an issue. Or will be. I don't believe the issue will come from places to sleep though. Plenty of land for that. The issue will be water. Which, last I heard, was necessary to live.

We think oil is expensive today? Our kids are gonna pay out the ass for water in the future.

J

If people would respect the sneeze-guards on Buffet lines there wouldn't be any "swine-flu." Sneeze guards have been scientifically proven to protect a normal height person from 66.2% of human propelled airborne contaminates.

On the other hand I am prepared. 200 cartons of cigarrettes, 500 gallons of mountain dew and a pair of breeding gerbals to keep me fed until the pandemic passes.

Edited by Precision40

I am hiding under my desk at work, with my airsoft gun!!!! You know you can't have the real thing with some company's!!!!! :o On a better side I sold 7000 rifle primers Tuesday for 600.00 and thought that was cool until, my buddy who owns a janitorial supply told me he sold 50 large cases of mask this morning for a 200% mark up!!!!!!! He has been trying to get rid of them for a year! The real funny to the whole story is he told the company that bought the mask there was only a 15-20% chance that it would keep them from getting the flu, the guy said so it would make his workers feel better having the mask!!!!!

All I really need is, no wait, I have that.

And if I don't I am sure I'll be able to acquire it if TSRHTF (R=Really as in unlike y2k, but more like that 60's rock song, "the End of the World as We Know It")

I have a well. I have a generator, I have wild game that is semi-tame in abundance in my neighborhood. Downside is that I have Neighbors.

Anyone think that perhaps a little better screening of people that are visiting the U.S. OR returning from other places MIGHT just have avoided some of this?

Jim

On the other hand I am prepared. 200 cartons of cigarrettes, 500 gallons of mountain dew and a pair of breeding gerbals to keep me fed until the pandemic passes.

:roflol:

"It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark, and we're wearing sunglasses. "

Much ado....

Ditto.

My "official" rules to not getting sick (from anything):

1 - If it's in your throat, cough it up and spit it out.

2 - If it's in your nose, don't sniff, just blow it out.

3 - Drink plenty of water.

4 - Wash your hands.

Haven't been sick since 2001-ish.

Rich

This has all the makings of a zombie movie.

- people get infected with a new disease

- no cure for new disease

- people start to stock pile food and ammo

- swine flu zombies emerge and eat people (or brains)

- military intervenes and blows up town with very large bomb

- a small group of people escape and are cast in the sequel

Now since we don't know much about swine flu zombies, lets analyze the previous zombie pandemics.

Return of the Living Dead - Probably the best of all the zombies. Infected with the military

chemical Trioxin 245, these zombies were fast, strong, smart and could talk. Disease was airborne

and easily transmitted. No known weakness. Gunshots and hacking off limbs did not have any effect.

Incineration was the only defense, however the gases produced were fatal and created more zombies.

Dawn of the Dead (2004 version) - Another outbreak of flesh eating zombies infected with who knows

what. These zombies were slow and wandered around aimlessly. However they appeared strong and inflicted massive bites to their victims. Disease was spread through bites from infected. Gunshots, chainsaws and other improvised weapons were effective in staving off the deadly hoard.

28 Days Later - This time its the British military's fault. Humans infected with the 'Rage' virus.

Incubation period was typically 60 seconds or less. Zombies were fast, agile and strong.

Disease transmission was through bites or contact with bodily fluids from the infected. Gunshots

and other improvised weapons which could cause severe trauma were effective.

Swine Flu Zombies - Very little information available at this time. Infection and transmission rate

appears slower than previous zombie epidemics. Humans infected with Swine Flu show symptoms similar

to influenza making identification of Swine Flu zombies difficult. At this time, it is also unknown

if Swine Flu zombies eat human flesh or brains to ease the pain and suffering. We can assume that

weapons capable of inflicting severe trauma would be a good defense against Swine Flu zombies.

Tips - Stay indoors.

Avoid unnecessary travel

Have a fresh supply of food and water

Have plenty of ammunition

Aim for the head.

Edited by Chris