Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

How far will you travel to shoot a match?

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

I drive 2 hrs round trip once a week to shoot the 3 stage local match. I'll drive 3-4 hrs for a bigger match. These days I don't have the money to fly or drive to out of state matches.

I only drive to matches. I shoot all steel matches and live in ohio we drove the 29 hours to the Handgunner a few years in the motorhome. This year going to the PRO-AM which will be 16 hours probably in a car. Most matches I go to are from 6-10 hours. Closest steel range is 2 hours from our house. So we have to travel no matter what. Still want to go to the Steel Challenge in Cali but from ohio thats a longggg drive and I really don't want to do the hassle of flying with guns.

Farthest driven, 12 hours from Vancouver BC to Lethbridge AB last year for Canadian Nationals last year. Farthest flown, Vancouver BC to Frostproof FL for the Open this year. Going slightly farther in July for Canadian Nationals in Halifax NS this year.

The wife and I have driven from Cali to S.D. for a match (club level) :surprise: . Actually, when we travel to see family we drive and map the trip by the back pages of the Front Sight and The Cowboy Chronicle :cheers: . Now if I can get her to time a trip to Inlaws #1 at the same time as the Iron Man, life would be good.

I will admit tho, some times it is more fun to shoot a club match

• 4 months later...

i live in central washington and have driven to alot of the matches on the west coast, typically around 150 miles. The longest trip i have taken was 247 miles for a match right by the border. but then i was there for family on labor day weekend anyways. i drove 225 miles to Oak harbor a few weeks ago so i could shoot an idpa match and then i drove 123 miles down to puyallup.

one thing i gotta get better at is just takin it easy and cruising at a nicer more economic pace with the car so i dont go through buckets of fuel just going 100 miles or so

• 5 months later...

This questions looks very familiar but I can't find the thread.

I have one steel match and three USPSA matches that are all about 45 minutes from home. I also go to one that is 1 hour and 45 minutes, if not every month then every other month.

I've got 3 clubs within 45 min from my house for monthly matches. And as luck would have it (or ingenous plannning on their part) one club has matches on 1st sunday, one on the 2nd and one on the 3rd. 4th sunday is gonna be a practice/reloading weekend for me. Looks like my summer is already planned out :)

I've got 3 clubs within 45 min from my house for monthly matches. And as luck would have it (or ingenous plannning on their part) one club has matches on 1st sunday, one on the 2nd and one on the 3rd. 4th sunday is gonna be a practice/reloading weekend for me. Looks like my summer is already planned out :)

Pretty sure they plan them that way. Works the same way here. Usually the same bunch of shooters at every match. :cheers:

There are about 6 monthly matches that I'll be driving to every month. They are all at least 1 hour away, up to a little over 2 hours.

I'd drive 8 hours one way for a sectional or area match. Longer if I have someone to drive with.

For Jan-March I went 3.5hrs to St. Louis for IDPA. Looks like April is the first time I'll miss that one since starting shooting IDPA. It helps that I have inlaws there and so the wife gets family time and I get trigger time plus a place to stay.

Twice a month I drive 50 minutes for a tuesday night IDPA match. Most the other stuff is within 30minutes or so.

Pretty sure they plan them that way. Works the same way here. Usually the same bunch of shooters at every match. :cheers:

That's section planning for you. In the Mid-Atlantic Section we actually have two matches on the second Sunday -- at opposite ends of the section, about three hours apart....

During the MN USPSA shooting season about 3 out of 4 weekends there is some kind of match going on, for me they vary in distance anywhere from 45 minutes to 1.5 hours one way. The club that I run is 90+ miles from my home, we hold one match a month all year long. I usually travel down there a couple of times a month to do work and practice. My wife is getting stressed out with my shooting schedule, she's lucky that I am not into IDPA too. :huh:

There are several matches a month that are between 40min and 2hrs drive. The 2hr drive isn't that bad going but it's a bitch coming back at the end of a long day - so I try and stick to those that are 90min or less.

During the MN USPSA shooting season about 3 out of 4 weekends there is some kind of match going on, for me they vary in distance anywhere from 45 minutes to 1.5 hours one way. The club that I run is 90+ miles from my home, we hold one match a month all year long. I usually travel down there a couple of times a month to do work and practice. My wife is getting stressed out with my shooting schedule, she's lucky that I am not into IDPA too. :huh:

And at least some (hopefully most) of us appreciate it Dan! :cheers:

Tom

And at least some (hopefully most) of us appreciate it Dan! :cheers:

Tom

Thanks Tom, That's huge coming from you! Keeps me motivated. :cheers: