Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

How old was everyone when they started USPSA/IPSC?

SavageMOA

• Replies 257
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I started 5 years ago at 54, almost by accident. Family was in Florida for April vacation and wife and stepdaughter were going prom dress shopping for the day. Needless to say that was not my idea of a fun filled day spent on vacation. Somehow I had heard that Frank Garcia was having a 1 day class with 4 other guys so I called him and he said come on over. Went over to Frostproof the next day and.............the other 4 guys had "bagged" on the class. So, it was Frank and I for 8 hours one on one! Been going back down to Florida Open every year to thank Frank for getting me into this sport.

Started dreaming and seeking clubs in 1976, couldn't put things together and find a club, though there was one right in Topeka it just wasn't organized and promoted much, until later. Almost went to one in 1977 with a Ruger Blackhawk SA Revolver, all I had!

But,

1978 @ 22 was my first "Combat" Match, with a Combat Commander.

1979 was my first "official IPSC" Match at Mill Creek near Kansas City, Kansas.

All thanks to Greg Moats our Section Coordinator at the time.

Those days were defintely special and you had to work pretty hard to find the clubs. It was all pretty much word of mouth.

It's so much better now with Front Sight and the Internet.

Dave Williams

I started at about age 31, shot for 5 years, then laid out several years and started back again about 3 years ago. Now all of the family competes including the wife. I wish I had my eyes from fifteen years ago.