Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

How long have you been shooting competively?

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm now 56 (where did all the time go?)

Raised around firearms, I shot trap competitively when I was 14. My father got me started in bullseye shooting when I was 16. Just never really enjoyed it.

During my senior year in college, a student returned from summer break and wanted to show us this new shooting game. It was the first time I saw ever saw anyone with a handgun running from target to target blasting through several magazines worth of ammo in less than a minute. My thoughts? What a freaking waste of ammo.

I went to college as the proverbial "poor student" and did not take up shooting again until I got a good paying job. Shot both skeet and trap until the price of lead shot was about what I made in a week.

Around 1982 the local newspaper ran an article about a group of shooters putting on "practical pistol matches". One Sunday I went to the range with several boxes of ammo for my Colt Gold Cup. Joined in on the fun only to find out this particular group of shooters had consisted of the biggest bunch of self-centered jerks I ever met. Even though that range was only a few miles from my house, it was years before I went back. By then, not one of the jerks were still shooting and a whole new bunch of shooters were trying to get something good going.

By 1986 or so we decided to get with the program. Our club joined that new-fangled USPSA group in hopes that they would still be around in a few years. Other than a few dry periods where work or location made shooting USPSA matches difficult, I've been able to stick with it.

Now I'm in the Houston area. This is a gold mine for shooters. Lots of high quality matches with lots of good shooters who are also good people.

As for the question "How long have you been shooting competitively?" Over 30 years and hoping for another 30.

Bill

Hello: I started shooting a pistol in October 2005. I had never shot a pistol till then. It is difficult to shoot/own pistols in Canada so I really missed out on the fun when I was young. I am making up for it now though :cheers: I started with a Ruger P95 and shot my first USPSA match with it and used up 60 rounds on the Texas star and still left a plate on it :roflol: I am still having fun and learning all the time. Thanks, Eric

Edited by Aircooled6racer

Started shooting competitivly in 1974. took up 3-gunning in the late 80s. Joined USPSA in 2003 just so I could shoot the first ever European shotgun championships, I hardly ever shoot USPSA pistol only matches or what I like to call 1/3 gun matches! KurtM

I started shooting USPSA in March 2008 and have been hooked ever since. I grew up hunting and target shooting with 22 rifles (even got my NRA expert rating at BSA summer camp). I had very little hangun experience except for my dad's Ruger single six 22 cal. I bought an .40 M&P last February and realized how much I liked shooting and started looking for a local club but wound up finding an addiction!!

Began in 1964 by shooting Service Rifle in NRA competition; gravitated to Bullseye for quite a few years; and, then "discovered" action pistol in the early 1990's. Older than dirt; can't see; slower than a snail; my back hurts...but still enjoying the game.

A-G

Started shooting PPC Combat and Bullseye in 87, got really bored so I migrated to USPSA in 93, Doubled into IDPA in 08. 3Gun started somewhere around 97 or 98.... Law Enforcement Games since 94

I shot my first match Aug 16 2008 and got to shoot 2 more pistol matches and the rocky mountain 3gun during the following month.

Since then I've been back at my home station in England and well can't have guns here so I'm stuck waiting to come home again so

I can shoot some more!

I didnt join USPSA until after my first match so only the second 2 counted for classifiers. Hopefully I can get two more classifiers in

next time I'm home and do well enough that I can average out my current 14% and 54% :P I'd be happy if I could get my first

classification to be a C :)

Anubis, If you like shooting, check out UKPSA. Action Shotgun is alive and thriving in the U.K. and it is a blast!! I will be over, yet again, for the English open latter this year. Check into it! KurtM

I shot my first USPSA match in March of 2008. My first IDPA match was in August of 2007. I started shooting rifles in my early teens (mid 80s) and shot a lot of sporting clays in 06/07. I'll be 35 on the 19th of March (hopefully as a B class limited shooter)

Edited by Seth

Joined uspsa in 2000, started shooting bowling pins in FL 1998 while in grad school at UF.

Oh my I forgot about the pin matches in Micanopy.... boy that guy sure had one helluva luger collection.... Beckwith i think was his name... I hear he has left the firing line...

Whenever (I forget the month) I moved to Maui in 1984. Met up with guys at work who were members of Valley Isle Sport Shooters. Things have never been the same since.

yep the good old day, started around 1984, I had been reading articles about IPSC for a couple of years. a couple of shooting buddies decided to start a club, about the same time there was a NROI class in honolulu, that was taught by USPSA President Dave Stanford and his wife Marlyn. My 1st match was the NROI class and the RO for my 1st stage was Dave Stanford, talk about match nerves, I didn't DQ and 25 years later I'm still at it.

I started shooting competitively (using the term loosely) about April of 75. It was called Police Combat. Ipsc style but just used steel targets, reactive and noreactive. Just shot once a month in Casa Grande, Az for almost 3 years then the bug bit hard. Shot mostly Revo's but had an Auto or two during that time. Dang I should be a lot better huh? :angry2: