Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Some Of Your All Time Favorite Rock Bands

JimmyZip

Oingo boingo 1981-85..

They made their music in a time when new wave and punk rock was dominant in L.A. Thus got lumped into that category.

From widipedia:

Oingo Boingo defied easy categorization. Their use of exotic percussion, a three piece horn section, unconventional scales and harmony, and surrealistic imagery was an unusual combination.

Front man Danny Elfman is now writing movie scores, noteably for Tim Burton.

from their farewell concert....

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Steely Dan,

Have to say that is my all time favorite. I can't think of a better group of musicians, even though they aren't the same folks from album to alobum and album to tour. (When they toured) I know that Fagen and Becker are really the band, they write songs and music that is everything in my opinion.

I have a range of tastes that seems hindered only by what I've have and have not heard. If there is a genere of music I probably have a favorite unless I haven't taken the time to get some exposure to that genere. Does that make me an expert? Hardly, but I do think I can listen without getting uptight. I think I can hear what the artists are trying to do or say.

Steely Dan, man oh man!

I have several with a broad span -

Skanken Pickel - Skafunkenrastapunk

Chris LeDoux - All of his throught the Columbia Years

Ian Tyson - his early albums

Zeplin - IV

Def Lepard - Pyromainia

Pink Floyd - The Wall and Dark Side of the Moon

The music of Encinio Moricione (Spagetti Western soundtracks, for those of you who remember/know them) :devil:

My bad for forgetting that you were asking about ROCK bands

Edited by Modoc

Not sure if the Dave Mathews Band is specifically rock - but anything live by them is great. One of the best live bands and pure musicians around today.

Back in the late 80's I saw Santana live. I didn't really like them before the concert - but was blown away by their live performance.

The bands who are better in concert than recorded - I have a lot of respect for . . .

Chicago - Chicago IX and before... I haven't been a big fan of the stuff after that.

Pretty much dig any rock that came out prior to about 1980. Sabbath rules :roflol:

Yes, ELP, the Who, are also in my playlist.

Then again, I'm a huge Jazz fan as well. Probably why I dig Chicago... the horns are wicked cool.

Frank

The Allman Brothers

The Beatles...from The Beatles all the way through Let It Be

Chicago...when they were the Transit Authority and their second album, when FM radio would actually play the entire "Ballet For A Girl In Buchannon"

Cream

Crosby, Stills, and Nash...and Young

The Doors

The Eagles...and Glenn and Don's solo efforts

Elvin Bishop...before Mickey Thomas

Fleetwood Mac...before Christine and Stevie

Jefferson Airplane...NOT Starship

Led Zeppelin...I, II, and IV

Loggins and Messina

Lynyrd Skynyrd

The Moody Blues...Days of Future Passed

Neil Young...Everyone Knows This Is Nowhere

Santana...before and after the 80's

Steely Dan...Countdown To Ecstasy and Aja

The ' Stones...before Mick split off to do his own thing.

War...The World Is A Ghetto and All Day Music

I can't believe it! Am I the only one who thinks The Scorpions are right up there at the top? I have seen them and AC/DC live. AC/DC kicks serious ass but The Scorpions kick just a tad harder to me.

Metallica - From Master of Puppets to ...And Justice For All seemed like they were pretty much speaking to me...

Slayer - Reign in Blood era

Tool - Yet to disappoint...just keeps hitting deeper and deeper every time I hear them...

+1 to Boston

Bob Segar

April wine

38 Special

Back in Black

Had a running from the cops episode when this song came out in a GTO. (street racing) Didn't know the neighborhood and went down a dead end road. Was so far ahead of the copper i parellel parked and ducked down in the seat. Cop came down the street, got to the end, turned around and was driving away. I thought yee haw sucker, until i saw break lights, then the cherries.....I just wish i still had that car.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rhhtRxqSrys

Edited by Vulture