Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Some Of Your All Time Favorite Rock Bands

JimmyZip

I have often noticed that bands have that time in their careers wherre they made the best music they ever did. While they may still be good and/or relevant, there was that time when they just had it going on.

So who and when? It might be more than one band, that's cool.

I liked the Who around the time they put out "Who's Next", Van Halen when they did "Fair Warning" and "Women and Children First", and Janes Addiction when they pu out "Ritual De Lo Habitual".

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am finally getting around to ripping all of my old CD's onto the computer hard drive.

I didn't even know I had some of this crap. lol

Oh...on topic,,,

Aerosmith overall (and about the only band that I care to listen to for "rock ballads" ). But, best at moment in time... Guns N Roses - Appetite

I grew up....sorta...in the '80's. So pretty much anything Rock wise was good to go. I'd say Def Leppard, Bon jovi, and AC/DC top my list....then and now. Nickelback and Three Doors Down have been added to my Ipod play lists. I like most of what all of them put out. I like some of the new country stuff too....but good 'ol Rock'n'Roll just does it for me.

To pick a single favorite......AC/DC or Nickelback. They will always get me outa any funk I get into.

Gonna be hard to keep to the speed limit on the bike come summer with this new Nickelback CD Dark House. I got the Ipod hooked to the helmet.

AC/DC is my favorite band of all time, without a doubt. :) I was a young kid growing up during the "Back in Black" days, but in high-school it was "Fly On The Wall".

2nd favorite would be Van Halen. Dont get my wrong, I am a huge David Lee Roth era fan. I mean that was the roots of the band. And to give credit where credit is due there, I think 1984 was the best of DLR. But I really think they shined the most when Sammy came on board, and they released 5150.

Edited by CHRIS KEEN

Aerosmith... back in the 'Toys in the Attic', 'Get your rocks', times. Steven Tyler was better when he was wasted...

AC/DC... A good band now, but even Back in Black doesn't compare to the Bon Scott version.

Van Halen... I remember the first time I heard 'Running with the Devil' on the radio. It was the midst of disco and sappy rock songs and that kicked ass, but I still think they were better with Sammy.

Journey... About the same time Van Halen hit the scene so did Journey. They rocked hard! Then the eighties happened and they fell in love...

Metallica... Unlike most I never cared for the speed metal stuff they did started with. When they started the ballady stuff I thought they were great. Their cover of 'Whiskey in the Jar' is still one of the best rock n roll songs ever!!!

Red Hot Chili Peppers... I didn't much like them when they were more punk, but when they started going more main stream I really liked their stuff. Lately they have gone too far thou.

Kid Rock... Not really a rock band, but his 'one finger' and 'two fingers' albums were out of sight! Then he started to try and make real music and lost some magic.

Eminem... Again maybe shouldn't be on the list, but his 'Eminem Show' album is pretty incredible. If you can stand his version of music the lyrics will really hit you. Since then he seems to have lost the anger and isn't as interesting.

Lynard Skynard... They are still pretty good, but the stuff before Ronnie and Steve Gains died is phenomenal. I was stationed in Jacksonville FL a few years after the accident. Skynard is god like there! Don't ask me about the time I almost got in a bar fight with Ronnie's little brother Johnny the new lead singer!!!

Elton John... Another that probably doesn't make a list like this, but his stuff in the seventies was outta sight. Since the eighties he's just been proving that a gay guy can sell records.

REO speedwagon... Great in the seventies, but sucked super bad after that.

Black Sabbath... I was and still am a huge Sabbath fan. Saw them several times over the years, in fact the '79 Black and Blue concert was my first big show I went to!!! But they should have folded after Ozzy left.

There are more, but that's all I can think of off the top. Didn't include the great bands that didn't seem to change.

Black Sabbath... I was and still am a huge Sabbath fan. Saw them several times over the years, in fact the '79 Black and Blue concert was my first big show I went to!!! But they should have folded after Ozzy left.

Hell yeah bro! :cheers:

Which brings us to Ozzy himself. If you count the years he spent with Black Sabbath, and doing his own thing .... the man should be dead by now. But he has made some amazing music. Blizzard of Ozz was probably his best effort before he sold out and went all MTV and shit.

Speak of the Devil was awesome, but that was just the beginning of the sell-out.

Ronnie James Dio was great during the Heaven and Hell era, but went downhill quickly. Recovered nicely by going solo, but even that faded fast.

Edited by CHRIS KEEN

My opinions... Lots of other bands that don't even have enough albums to have an "era of good stuff", but... :)

Metallica - Master of Puppets and ...And Justice For All era

Megadeth - Peace Sells ... But Who's Buying? and Rust In Peace

Queensryche - Operation: Mindcrime and Empire

AC/DC - Back In Black is a fricking Greatest Hits album! But there's other good stuff, obviously (all Bon Scott for me, though)

Tool - Undertow and Aenima for me, but I like them all

Dio - Holy Diver

The Beatles - Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band and The Magical Mystery Tour

Led Zeppelin - IV (for me - obviously, they had a lot of great stuff, but for me, this is the culmination)

The Who - Who's Next

I agree with the above re: Boston and Rush (though that's asking for a big fight from a bunch of Rush fans, I'm sure :lol:)

The Who-Got into The Who when a chick I was dating in junior high took me to go see "Tommy" at the Dayton Theatre

Pink Floyd-The first time that I can recall listening to "The Wall"...well, it was an event to remember. I've been a fan ever since

Techno-When I lived in Lexington I had some raver friends that dragged me to go see Darude and Tall Paul

Frank Zappa-Playing cards with some friends after I had just moved back to Dayton, one of them popped in "Live at the Fillmore East" and it completely blew my freakin' mind. I've been a fan ever since.

Tool-Around the same time as the "The Who awakening", I listened to Undertow for the first time...Tool truly had a sound that was unlike any other that I had heard up to that point.

I forgot about Tool and Queensryche. I saw QR on Operation MC and was totally in awe of their live show. Geoff Tate still has one of the greatest metal voices of all time (not bad for an opera singer!)

Tool just plain rules. Its been in steady rotation in my cars for years.

Pink Floyd-The first time that I can recall listening to "The Wall"...well, it was an event to remember. I've been a fan ever since

Forgot about Floyd... Dark Side of the Moon is the penultimate Pink Floyd album, IMO... ;)

Forgot about Floyd... Dark Side of the Moon is the penultimate Pink Floyd album, IMO... ;)

And the ultimate Floyd album - Animals - in my very humble opinion...I lost a lot of my hearing listening to that album... :surprise:

And the ultimate Floyd album - Animals - in my very humble opinion...I lost a lot of my hearing listening to that album... :surprise:

Did I type penultimate?? That's funny... :lol: Obviously not what I meant... ;)

Animals never really did it for me, personally, but... oh well... ;)

I forgot to add Iron Maiden - Piece of Mind and Powerslave ;)