Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

While reloading I...

safenate

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, different strokes for different folks... as the saying goes. I dunno, maybe some of the difference comes in from the fact that some people HATE to reload (Howard, etc) and some of us actually enjoy it. I spend enough time at work multitasking that reloading is one thing that I don't want to be doing anything unrelated while I'm doing it. Listening to the radio, etc is a distraction that I don't want/need.

I dislike reloading, but I also don't do anything but reload when I'm reloading. The different buzzes and noises tell me what's working properly and what isn't, and the 100% confidence I have in my ammo is worth it on match day.

I occasionally glance at the snoozing K-9's, especially if one of the seniors stops snoring or makes some odd noise. Otherwise, it's just me & the machine (550) -- it has to look/feel/sound right (S&B brass or a .380 sneaking in), or I stop and check to see 'why not'.

I stand when I reload. I can look down in the case and KNOW that the charge 'looks right'. Lately, that's been TG, so there IS a risk of double-charging. After too many 12-hour ER shifts (and memories of God-knows-how-many hours in OR during training), standing for an hour or two behind the 550 is no big deal. Out of 8100 rounds since St Patty's Day, I've had no squibs, no glitches.

Fan was on today -- white noise on a 90-degree day.

I reload sitting down....High roller chair....listening to music with the remote beside me to adjust the volume depending on the tune...I reload for and I just about hate it because it is repetitive and boring...but it's a must, even with the 1050 and the bullet feeder..

I dislike reloading, but I also don't do anything but reload when I'm reloading. The different buzzes and noises tell me what's working properly and what isn't, and the 100% confidence I have in my ammo is worth it on match day.

:cheers: exactly , I think about how good the loads are going to shoot for me, to the point that I enjoy the reloading.

I've not been at this game as long as others. Since about 2002, I've loaded approx.. 80,000 rounds on a starter Lee pro 1000 quickly moving on to a Dillon 550 and then 650. Of that 80,000, three have been squibs. Two occurred when I was distracted from what I was doing. Once my wife came in and started a conversation, once the dog got to jumping around in the room and the third time....well, it just happened.

I said all that to say that IMHO, distractions are what cause the most problems reloading for me. I will sometimes listen to some background music while I reload but it will be something quiet and in the background.

For those who can multitask, great, but for me I've got to concentrate on what I'm doing. :)

...works for me

dj

I forgot to add, I chant to my ammo as I load it. Alpha Alpha Alpha Charlie Mike *you're going in the practice ammo bucket* LOL I do listen to music, mostly a collection of MP3s. Last year I came across some Peltor ear listen only ear muffs that offer pretty darned good hearing protection should I pop off some primers somehow. They also hook up to my MP3 player so I can have my tunes and safety too. They don't cut out all the sound so I can still listen to make sure the machine is running smoothly.

Joe W.

Great thread.

I too fall into the category of not really enjoying reloading. I do it for money and competitive reasons only. I usually do it at night and I'll tell you that many times it almost puts me to sleep it's so monotonous. As such I usually listen to talk radio- Laura Ingram is on late in my area. I can drive my car while shifting, turning, etc. with the radio on or using a phone which is argueably more risky than reloading with the radio on. I do however keep my eyes' AND ears' primary focus on reloading.

I like the poster that hums Alpha, Alpha, Alpha while reloading... I might try that.

Reloading is just plain work that must be done to be able to play, I don't enjoy it and don't want to do it. I have the radio going, usually late at night so I am listening to the Indie rock show, it is plenty loud so I can hear it over the PITA casefeeders. Often I am walking back and forth between the case-pro and the Dillon, the Dillon will eat brass at the same rate the case-pro will make it doing it this way. I will have a Miller Lite there on the bench for primer tube and powder breaks, and a BIG fan blowing on me since I tend to leak water pretty heavily when reloading at the pace I maintain. I have TWO powder checks that I use, slimy multi-colored orbs in the upper front part of my head. Lately I have been doing 1000 rounds per session so I don't have to do it as often, takes a little over an hour on a 650 with running the case-pro at the same time. If I manage to get ahead on the case-pro while talking on the phone or something I can do 1000 rounds in about 50 minutes.

Some of you guys are pretty uptight about reloading, I just don't get that uptight about anything for any reason. It isn't in my nature I guess.

Howard,

Read your post regarding reloading. You can quiet down the casefeeders quite a bit by folding a old bath towel in half and putting it over the top of the case feeder. It does a fairly good job of muffling the din of the brass tumbling around in the case feeder.

A question if I might. What does it take to tune an SVI 170 mm mag body (38 SC) to hold 30 or 31 rounds (Bolen follower and spring with a Dawson base pad). I talked with Chris regarding the 32 round mag you sent him to try which got me wondering about same. Are all of the 170 SVI body's born equal or are some "longer" than others?

CYa,

Pat

I am standing right in front of the 650 watching each and every round. No radio dogs wife or other distractions. I get into a zone and just crank them out. I actually find it very relaxing. I have to think all day and it is nice to "turn off" the brain and just pull the lever and clunk I made something.

Later,

I reload in my garage, alone, no music, no dogs, no wife. But I have lots of company with my multiple personality complex...... :sight:

The 3 great White lies of reloading:

I never have to check the powder level because my machine does it for me.

I never have to case gage my ammo, it always fires 100%. no problems.

I never check my primers because all my primers go in the correct direction and are the proper depth.

Jerry Snyder

Edited by 1911jerry

I am standing right in front of the 650 watching each and every round. No radio dogs wife or other distractions. I get into a zone and just crank them out. I actually find it very relaxing. I have to think all day and it is nice to "turn off" the brain and just pull the lever and clunk I made something.

Later,

Ditto to that. I find it to be a twisted form of meditation. It's good for the soul, ya know? I'm running a 650 and find the sound of the whole thing reminds me of the beginning of that Pink Floyd song "Money". It makes me think of how much more I'd be paying if I was shooting factory.

I live in town and the street sounds can be rather distracting so, I put an oldies station on the radio just loud enough to mask any noise from the street but not so loud as to keep me from hearing what's happening on the press. I like oldies for this 'cause it's music I've heard a zillion times and doesn't distract me.

Like others, the TV is on. I'm not "watching" it, more just listening in occassionally. With the 1050, I check each case for powder and ensure that my stroke is the somewhat the same. I too dislike reloading, but it is a means to an end, and have learned that doing large reloading sessions is much more tolerable than waking up early on match day. :D

Rich