Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

GA 2008 State Match website and general information

Mark, Peter, Boris, et al

One thing you need to keep in mind about setting your match date is that most of Area 6 shoots early in the year. The GA State has now been in the fall for quite a while and although the weather might be more reliable in June, it might not and since October is outside storm season and huricane season. I aclually found it very attractive to shoot a major match without the bugs and sweat on every stage and when you get into the summer, you bump into family vacations and summer sports. I can also say that in the wake (pun intended) of my water experience this year in Tulsa at the nationals, shooting in the rain is no longer the big deal it once was for me.

Your attendance was great in view of the conflict with the WS. While A6 did not have all that many people at the WS, had these shooters not been at the WS not only would they have likely attended, they would have come with their usual shooting buddies as well. Had there been no WS, the match would have easily had 30 more shooters. Of course setting a date and getting out the date out early helps. Having a full year to prepare also helps.

Of course the price of gas has affected all USPSA matches this year. Despite the fact the price was down at the time of the match, that was a rather recent improvement.

Once upon a time in Georgia, each club did indeed bring a stage and staff it and that really helps match administration provided they show up on time and set up. The down side is that you do not always get the quality of stages that Peter designed at this match and you are more challenged balancing long, medium and short courses of fire.

As to cash payback vs trophy only, I will leave that to you. My sense is that the shooters are going to attend a match this good no matter what you do but I would look more to what this year's attendees have to say about it than anyone else. Since you have their email, ask them.

For myself, I am never going to profit from a cash payback match but that does not mean I will not come. Your match did offer me a 6 in 155 chance of winning a firearm in the drawing and those odds are much better than what I usually get in the VFW or Ducks Unlimited drawing for a heck of a lot less per chance. My hat is off to the sponsors of this match for their support and those who had the administrative wisdom to ask them to do that.

• Replies 248
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am pushing for an earlier date, like late June, when the weather is a little more reliable. Any opinion on a good timing for the GA state would be welcome feedback, we stood on a few toes this year, and will try not to do that again next, our regualr monthly match is the 4th Saturday, so that weekend would be favorite.

Maybe we will revert to a trophy only match and reduce the cost back down closer to where Cherokee used to set it? Again feedback/constructive criticism always appreciated. (PM me if you would, rather not air dirty laundry in public)

Peter

I really liked the match this time of year. It could have been cold, but wasn't. But you can almost be guaranteed in May/June it will be hot. From what I am hearing, NC, SC, GA and Area 6 all want to hold their matches in the May / June time frame. These are the 4 major matches I plan on shooting next year, but that will be tough if they are all a few weeks apart. Just my $0.02

I had a lot of fun shooting with a great squad of guys. Thanks to everyone for all of their hard work.

edit because I hit "Submit" before typing anything. :wacko:

Edited by sperman

It was a fun match and thanks to all who made it happen. Great facility and a great crew. Mark, Peter, Boris, et al. Great job!

The stages were fun and challenging. Squad 23 was a lot of fun...

Same time/place next year????

Jack,

I am glad you enjoyed yourself, I know your youngster did, that is the plan, to make sure everyone has a good time.

I am game for next year. It was Mark's first State level match, he really works/worked hard at getting and keeping River Bend Practical Shooters monthly match running, and the State match was a larger challenge that he originally thought, especially when his new job got in the way.

He was/is a trooper, and stayed at it until the bitter end. I am sure he is tired today, I know I was, and he did way more then me (apart from the inadvertent lay in Sunday morning due to his high tech alarm clock changing to the old day light savings time)

I am trying to talk him into doing it again next year, now we know all the pitfalls, and have all the props, we know we have good competent staff we can rely on, a little more assistance from a few more local shooters and we will be staging GA. state like it's a monthly match. Next year I will not be responsable for all the stage design, we/I am polling all local GA. State clubs or shooters to submit a stage for use in the Championships next year, the back of the match T shirt details all the clubs that currently operate in the state, I think it about time they all get involved again!

I am pushing for an earlier date, like late June, when the weather is a little more reliable. Any opinion on a good timing for the GA state would be welcome feedback, we stood on a few toes this year, and will try not to do that again next, our regualr monthly match is the 4th Saturday, so that weekend would be favorite.

Maybe we will revert to a trophy only match and reduce the cost back down closer to where Cherokee used to set it? Again feedback/constructive criticism always appreciated. (PM me if you would, rather not air dirty laundry in public)

See you all again sometime soon.

Peter

Peter,

As an MD myself (2009 will be my 3rd year), I can appreciate the work that goes into a match. I pay more attention to logistics when I shoot other matches (to see what is being done wrong and what I can borrow to improve our match). Of course, I am lucky in that I get to learn from Linda Chico and everyone at our gun club.

I really liked the options that y'all offered for shooting times. I think that makes it easier for those that like to bring kids to shoot (no hassle with school, etc) or that have work obligations. I do not think the price was unreasonable for a cash payout match. We even had to raise our match price a little, too. As long as the quality of the match is consistent, "they will come. " Word will get out about your match. The weather is always a gamble. The cold in the morning did suck a bit, though. But that is part of the game. Why not go back to June like previous Georgia State Matches? More daylight might help, too. Of course, that puts Riverbend on the line again in 8 months :surprise: .

Its hard to believe that was Riverbend's first attempt at a major USPSA match because eveything flowed so well.

Here is a pic of Squad 23, after the awards ceremony....

post-950-1225158411_thumb.jpg

Big congratulations to all for a very well run, fun and challenging event.

It is much easier to pitch in and help the people running an event when it is so clear how hard they are working to make it a success. If you decide to do it again next year, I'll be there to work and play.

The fall seems a good choice to me, those hills were beautiful.

I had a blast!! A big thanks to everyone that made it possible. This was my first big match, and I enjoyed every minute of it!!!!

Squad 23 was a fun bunch to shoot with, too! It was nice meeting such a good group of people this weekend, and I'm sure looking forward to next year's match!

Hopefully I'll get to go to more matches next year

Tom

Congratulations to all of the winners of this years Georgia State Championship. To the winners that were not at the awards ceremony and if you did not have someone pick up your payback check it went out in the mail this morning so look for them later this week.

Great job and hope to see you at the range soon. Remember River Bend has its regular monthly match every 4th Saturday of the month and all are welcome.

People... all I can say is WOW....... What a great match... Great people to shoot with, great range to shoot at and GREAT weather on Sat. & Sun. I kick ass in my Div. in L-10, so what more can I say..... Squad 26 was the bomb... Can my buddy's from Fla. post a "group" pic?????? :cheers:

I enjoyed this match greatly. The stages were very well designed and executed. The facility was great. The Ga section staff did their usual great job. In short it was exactly what I have always come to expect from the Ga section match.

Good job guys.

As to the time of the year...

I'll echo what Robert said above. The cooler weather was always one of the things that pulled me torward this match in the past. It was one of the reasons I signed up this year.

On the other hand, stable weather is always a plus (having shot and ro'd more matches in the rain, cold, and even snow than I'd care to remember).

Having said all that, I am not a Ga section resident, this is the Ga section championship match. So whatever works best for the Ga section is the way to go :-)

Peter Adams

FY-39604

Alabama Section Cordinator

I have to ad that this was a great match. The RO's were friendly and the stages were challenging and well thought out. The range itself was in a beautiful area and is a very nice facility. We are looking forward to next year. I prefer October for the cooler weather. Boris told me its usually dry that time of year. If you do it in June it will be hot and if you dont get wet from rain you will be wet from sweat so October is the best time in my opinion. We haven't gone to any Fall matches over the past several years because of the boys football schedule. Now thats over we plan to do more. This one will surely be on the list for next year.

I think one thing that really helped contribute to the stage quality was, talking to Boris, they wanted a shooting match not a track meet. Just all in all it was a shooters match, designed by shooters for shooters. Great job!

Edited by chuckbradley

Awesome match guys! Stage design, RO staff, scheduling, admin staff were all great. Even with all of teh rain on Friday the bays were in great shape. Even though I shoot River Bend every month and know the quality people involved with the club I was blown away.

I have heard a rumor that RBGC management is about to begin construction on a new action shooting venue that will include several rifle, shotgun, and rifle bays designed to rival anything in the South East. As good as this match was the sky is the limit for Leeber and crew if they have use of an even better range set up with bigger bays, etc. Can anyone shed any light on this?

My .02-

I liked a fall match since bugs, heat, etc. were not a problem. We were unfortunate on Friday but rain is usually pretty sporadic in Sept/Oct. It usually gets really wet in Nov.

Cash payback or trophy doesn't really matter. Just keep entry fees to no more than $150.

Solicit stages from all of the GA clubs but don't accept any that aren't up to this year's quality. I know Larry Turner probably has several in his data base.

Give Mark, Peter, Boris, Bill, Cindy, Jeffery, Roger, and any others the huge pat on the back they deserve. I have been to 2 Nationals and 6 or 7 other majors this year and this match was as good or better than any of the rest. :D:bow:

Another vote for the fall. The weather was amazing during the day. Like whiskey said, no bugs or heat to worry about. Having a great fall match like this one makes a nice balance of matches through the year, as area 6 is in the spring and most of the other sections are spring/summer.

I like the cash payback feature, and given the entry price is highly reasonable. Either way as long as it is in the 150 and below range as well, I'm there. Out of curiosity, what was the payback breakdown for this match?

I enjoyed the October dates. It let me mix a very enjoyable vacation in the North Georgia mountains with a terrific match. There are so many other shooting and non-shooting options in June and the rest of the summer that I probably would not have made this match if it had been held then.

Mucho thanks again to all who worked so hard to make this a great match. :cheers:

Edited by XD Niner

Thanks for all the positive feedback!!! Indeed it was a great match and it was the product of a great team of people who all brought their best to the table. I am still recovering from the weekend and the many weeks that led up to it so I have not given 2009 too much thought but I know several of the guys are rearin to go for next year.

Indeed we broke ground yesterday at River Bend on a new Action Complex that will be 9 bays dedicated to Action Shooting sports with a focus on USPSA and 3-Gun. River Bend has home-grown Action Pistol and Action Rifle matches that will also move to this area. Bays will be 25-50 yards wide and from 50 to 100 yards deep. The plan is to have all the dirt moved by March/April. We are also building a new Sporting Clays Course and a 500M silhouette range that will be done about the same time making River Bend one of the top shooting facilities in the Country. The Action Complex is going to be my pet project for some time and I will be looking for some volunteers to help built it out once the dirt is moved. Things like the indoor bathrooms with running water and a pavilion to encourage more social interaction around matches are high on my list of additions. I hope that the range would be complete if we were to host GA State 2009 in the fall of next year. I do not recall who mentioned the Board of Directors but they were correct with the comment about the River Bend Board deserving a big thank you for giving me the latitude to host an event like this as well as investing in a sport that was brand new to the club only 18 months ago.

Once again I want to thank the Sponsors, Competitors, and especially the ROs who did an awesome job! Please remember our sponsors when you are shopping or handing out those gift lists to your significant other. Trophies will be mailed out over the next week or two and Kevin or I will be in touch with winners about any prizes from the drawing that were not collected.

I will let ya'll know what our plans for 2009 are in the coming weeks.

Thank you!

Mark Leeber

Match Director,

RBGC Practical Shooters & The 2008 GA State Championship

"Bays will be 25-50 yards wide and from 50 to 100 yards deep. The plan is to have all the dirt moved by March/April."

A stage to fit in a bay 50 yards wide by 100 yards deep, I think I have an idea :devil:

Peter Oliver

Peter,

You are a sick puppy....as evident from some of your stages this weekend... :wacko:

I will make every effort to attend the GA section next year regardless of the date. This year, I was covered up with matches in April and October (5 matches that I wanted to attend in Oct.), but nothing to shoot in July and August. I like the weather in spring and fall as much as anyone, but somebody has to shoot when it is hot! My opinion would be to simply try to schedule next year's match when it won't conflict with other matches in the southeast.

Mark Dye

"Bays will be 25-50 yards wide and from 50 to 100 yards deep. The plan is to have all the dirt moved by March/April."

A stage to fit in a bay 50 yards wide by 100 yards deep, I think I have an idea :devil:

Peter Oliver

Oh no! I can see it now, another field of steel; If you plant the steel; seeds by May will you have enought time to grow 38- 42 with 50 yard head shots? :rolleyes:

• 2 weeks later...