Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

How many Mag Pouches on belt for production?

I cannot come up with any reasonable or unreasonable stage that requires more than four reloads........hence four mag pouches on belt at buzzer is all I see the need for, unless dropping mags or defective mags are anticipated. :roflol:

Yet I do see some accomplished shooters with more. :surprise:

Am I missing something?

BB

At a local match.. sometimes they may go past the 32 rounds.. longest I ever shot was 54.. depending on when you do your reloads.. the number of magazines can climb rapidly.. :)

That was a very unusual stage.

I shot one that was 32. As I was reloading, I caught the mag behind the one I was after with my knuckles and it hit theground. That left me 1 reload short on stage. So there are 5 on my belt and another in my bag just in case I run into one of those strange high round count stages.

5 plus one for my loading magazine - 6 total. Steve Anderson - by example - taught me the fine art of dumping back in the day when he shot production.

Edited by vluc

Lessee, what can happen out there...

Empty gun start, loading from the belt. Lose a mag or drop one clearing a malf. High round count field courses with low round count arrays where it makes sense to reload on the move rather than standing still only half through the targets. The possiblities go on.

Especially for new shooters, it's also easy to send a lot more than the official round count downrange on any given stage. (Texas Stars at twenty yards are painful).

I carry six mags on my belt, one in the gun, and my Barney mag, which usually starts as a full mag and goes back into the pocket. Honestly, I've never shot all those mags, but have lost a couple on the run and had malfs, and got down to the last one on the belt.

Come to the line prepared to win by being more prepared than the rest.

carry five on the belt for me..

usually get through comfortably with only four on the belt..but have had times..when an inopportune mag will pop out on a long field course..and find myself grasping for that fifth one..

things can happen..no sense being unprepared..

I carry six mags on my belt, one in the gun, and my Barney mag, which usually starts as a full mag and goes back into the pocket. Honestly, I've never shot all those mags, but have lost a couple on the run and had malfs, and got down to the last one on the belt.

Come to the line prepared to win by being more prepared than the rest.

Have you seen this one from the IN Sectional?

http://www.wvpps.com/2008Stage09prt.htm

It is going to be a fun one. I'll have 6 mags + Barney and I hope none die...maybe an extra for the Texas star in my pocket :ph34r:

I carry 4 on the belt of my production rig, mostly because I haven't gotten around to picking up another mag carrier yet. :)

Maybe with enough of these stories I'll be motivated to get another one on the belt. :lol:

There are times when you might shoot 2 or 4 rounds and make a mag change. I carry 4 and don't 'need' any more. There are times that I will want a 5th one. When I do, then it would come from the pocket. And if I have to reach for the mag in the pocket, the stage is lost anyway. So the extra time to reach into the pocket versus having an extra mag pouch isn't going to matter. Basically, I don't carry 5 is because I don't have the room. My 5th mag would be in the middle of my back, if not further.

There are times when you might shoot 2 or 4 rounds and make a mag change. I carry 4 and don't 'need' any more. There are times that I will want a 5th one. When I do, then it would come from the pocket. And if I have to reach for the mag in the pocket, the stage is lost anyway. So the extra time to reach into the pocket versus having an extra mag pouch isn't going to matter. Basically, I don't carry 5 is because I don't have the room. My 5th mag would be in the middle of my back, if not further.

No doubt, if I add a 5th one it will be quite a ways back there.

My 5th mag would be in the middle of my back, if not further.
No doubt, if I add a 5th one it will be quite a ways back there.

skinny b^st^rds :lol:

Edited by eerw

Better to have and not need than to need an not have. B)

I carry 6, and with a 33 in waist the last one feels like it is closer to my holster than my first mag pouch. While I have never had to go to the sixth I have twice finished stages where is was the only one left on my belt.

Someone needs to post a video of the big steel stage (I think stage 1) at Area-6 this year :) . I don't believe anyone grumbled about having too many rounds left on their belt after that one.

I ate two misses because I ran out of ammo, and I had plenty.....I thought.

I carry 6 normally, with the sixth mag being the one in the gun at the start, typically. There have been a few stages where I've started with 7.....

Once at Nationals a doorway stripped 2 or 3 mags off my belt --- my squadmates were wondering if I'd be able to finish the stage.....

I must be living on the edge with just two double pouches. Keep one with 11 rounds to load at the start and another in a pocket "just in case". Guess I could add a third double pouch and not talk around with two in pockets.

~Mitch

Thread drift a little...if I ever get around to shooting Production, I'd carry 6 on the belt like I do for L-10, with 5 for my weak hand and 1 behind my holster for reloading with my strong hand if needed (like for a weak hand standard stage where I get a jam). Carry 7 mags to the line, load the gun with the mag from the last weak hand pouch and top off with the one from my pocket. Always like to have and not need rather than vice versa.

I carry five on the belt and my 11 round loading mag in a pocket. There's never any question about sticking the 11 rounder in a pouch or grabbing the wrong mag to load with at the beginning. The steel stage at Area 6 was a great example of needing more than 32 rounds to complete that stage. I doubt there was anyone who didn't take an extra shot on that stage. I watched a couple of guys who took a lot of extra shots (like 20 or more). There are also times when the stage calls for something weird. I just shot a match last week where the best way to shoot it was shoot 10, shoot 4, then finish. I've also seen a lot of guys lose mags during reloading or running. Especially on guns with mag pads that stick forward like M&P and CZ.

I have 3 double pouches so I go ahead and fill them. I start with 6 on the belt and one in the gun. I don't ever recall it

being a bad thing to have too many but recall a few times I didn't have enough when all went south. I too have had extra mags fall out while moving or accidentally pulling two mags out at once and one (if not both)hitting the ground.

Plus it is more convenient sometimes in shooting strings with mandatory reloads. I don't have to keep dipping back into

my shooting bag for more mags.

Craig