Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

fiber optics insert color

velvetant

I can get green, red or yellow fiber optics inserts for my front sight. Anyone know which color is the brightest. They are all the same diameter .040" and they are for my Dawson front sight. I had a green insert but it finally fell out after 7 years of abuse and I need to order replacements.

I used red for 3 years being to pig headed to try the green my buddy was using. I finally tried green and have not gone back.

I went the other way, green to red. Think it would be best try both and decide for yourself.

Try this, If you have all the colors, red, green and yellow, I put all 3 together in my hand and held them up quick like to my eye at arms length and whatever one my eyes were drawn to first is the color I went with. For me it was red.

I have alternated between green and red since I started shooting. My observation has been that when I change the rod color it forces me to re-focus on the front sight. I lose a hair of speed when I initially switch, but make up for it with accuracy. This keeps me from point shooting too often.

Hello: You gotta use the green. It is alot easier to see. If you have had the same insert in there for 7 years the new one will look like a light. Sometime when you are at a stop light look at the traffic signal lights down the road and see what color is brighter. I think you will find the green one is. Besides green means go ;-) Thanks, Eric

Be careful with one that sticks out too much. You'll end up using the FO to aim with instead of the top of the sight.

That's exactly why I was asking if anyone tried blue yet. It would seem trackable enough, but since it's closest to a black FS, it might give better accuracy.

Maybe I'll try one myself once I get the FS drilled for a FO.

99.9% of the time I use red, but if I feel that I am not calling good shots or getting sloppy hits and, just shooting and not really aiming, then I will switch to a different color, or dont use one at all just to change things up and make me look closer at my sights, its psychological for me. It seems to work

somewhere I read that red and yellow seems to get picked up by the eye more than all the other colors. I think thats why stop signs are red and caution signs are yellow.

Green. Mostly because it seems brighter when I compare them.

In addition since I primarily shoot open I found that when switching back from open to limited having a red dot at the end of my gun triggered the "dot on A-Zone, trigger shot" response and I forgot all about the whole "use the rear sight" business.

Peter

Edited by caspian guy

I use red- green tends to blend in a bit to leaves, grass and such. If you are looking for the "brightest", try changing them out once in awhile! :lol: Fiber optics fade or get dirty and should be swapped out periodically. Not like they cost alot! ;)

It's all personal preference but I've tried a couple of colors and I went back to red. I didn't have a problem with green or yellow but for some reason red worked better for me.

Edited by jasmap

I have used red, green and yellow. I like red the best, green second and then yellow. On the other hand, my buddy likes green. You should try them all and see what works for you. For some reason, I pick up the red faster.