Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Who makes the best 1911 barrel?

G-ManBart

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My Smith uses Kart exclusively, and I like the results I have had with .45 and 9x19. I have a couple of Schumann's that shoot really well, but took a lot more time to fit. I have a Clark .45 barrel that shoots really well, and had a 38super Les Baer barrel that Kart made for him that shot really well.

I had good luck with Nowlin barrels when John Sr. was at the helm, but got a Crap 9x19 barrel when Jr took over and was told it was good enough :blink::angry2: .....Needless to say I wont buy Nowlin anymore, and listen to my Gunsmith a lot more as well..... :rolleyes:

A number of test were conducted using a "barrel only" test fixture. I believe the AMU and USAF teams tested every barrel available

to them including war contract barrels. This test was repeated by Charlie Petty years later will nearly all the barrels listed (including war contract barrels).

Top gunsmith of his time John Day built and used a test fixture of his own design so he could pick which one to weld up and fit.

The result were.......Any one of the barrels on any given test day could be #1 All could be counted on to produce 2" Ten shot

groups at 50 yards.

FITTING is the name of the game here.

Personal preference, bias, good or bad experience whatever.

Proper fit and a good crown and shoot it till ya need another one.

One of the most accurate 1911 in my collection of a dozen is a F. Bob Chow built 38 Special. Colt 38 Super

slide and barrel. Barrel reamed for 38 spl. 148WC. Weldment added at the hood and lugs for proper fit.

The man cut bent and crafted 38 special mags from Colt 38 Super mags!!!!

I will post a picture when time allows.

Please understand this not a personal attack on your favorite barre/s. Just a FYI

Patrick

Both of my guns have Schuemanns, I like them. Yesterday I unpacked a box of them for Benny, best finish of any on the market and Benny says they are the best to fit and fit is everthing. Benny will use others if he has to, but Schuemann is 1st choice at Triangle.-------------Larry

I primarily use Schuemann for the reasons Larry listed, easiest to fit up right and they are pretty right out of the package. KKM and Nowlin have also shot really well, and Kart in 45 is just a tradition I see no reason to break.

I primarily use Schuemann for the reasons Larry listed, easiest to fit up right and they are pretty right out of the package. KKM and Nowlin have also shot really well, and Kart in 45 is just a tradition I see no reason to break.

Schuemanns are one of a few barrels that usually require nothing more than fitting the hood and lower lugs for a perfect fit.

While I agree that most barrel blanks are capable of holding 2" @50, the AET barrels can push that below 1".

:rolleyes:

I try to use Storm Lake machine barrels,mostly cause I like the people involved and I can get what I

want.

Schuemann,Kart,Nowlin,Clark are all good to excellant, fitting has a lot more to do with "WHAT"

BARREL IT IS "

Ive taken Colt,Springfield and welded the hood and feet up and refit em and they are about as

accurate as you need in the USPSA game. :blink::mellow::wacko::devil:

Jim

Sailors

Best as in accuarcy.

.45 caliber is Kart

+1

Last year at S&W, I asked Doug Koenig who made the most accurate 1911 barrel? According to the Bianci Cup Champion, Kart is the most accurate .45 barrel.

Edited to add:

You can't say that a given barrel is "accurate enough" for USPSA or IDPA or whatever shooting sport unless you never miss a target. If I miss a target, I know it was me- not the gun.

Edited by CSEMARTIN

I'm going to go with what Patrick said. You fit it right and it will be a damn fine accurate barrel for USPSA. I'm no gun smith but I talk to one a lot and from what he says the schumanns are nice on the smiths as to the amount of work they don't have to do and the finish is awesome....why do I know this 'cause he wants to put one in my new one but I'm happy with my KKM in my current gun and for another 100$ I can't see why to change.

I have a Lissner barrel in my safe. Waiting. Single point cut rifled....Probably the nicest barrel ever. Out of production.

Schuemanns are pretty barrels, I have a few of them. Mine shoot great. I know some people that have had problems with AET barrels. I have had nothing but good luck.

They have a gorgeous external finish. to get them you usually have to deal direct which can be interesting at times.

Kart is the prettiest barrel INSIDE. Really nice stuff for the money. If you don't mind carbon steel, kart is a solid choice. Wholesale is $100 too!

Bar-Sto is the gold standard ad has good resale value. Its like the Rolex of barrels. Pricey!

The up and comers are KKM (look good) and Storm Lake (the dark horse favorite of some gunsmiths).

On my do not use list:

Nowlin-poor QC,they sold a lot of seconds and their barrels are allegedly made overseas and rifled electrochemically in the USA. I have seen more broken Nowlins that any other brand.

Clark-weird lug cuts and reputed to be soft.

STI-just kind of crummy looking externally and internally

Olympic

I have a Lissner barrel in my safe. Waiting. Single point cut rifled....Probably the nicest barrel ever. Out of production.

I have Lissner barrels in three guns and "old Nowlin" in another. The Lissners are consistently accurate and shoot pretty well any bullet.

They are excellent with lead and jacketed alike - but have been out of production for about 4 years.

Tony Lissner gave me a photocopy of a Lissner test target about 10 years ago - six shots at 50 metres into a group a little over 0.3" centre to centre. The barrel was locked into a special firing fixture and was not in a gun. Very impressive to say the least.

The Nowlin is accurate and never seems to foul.

Does anyone know who makes STI barrels ??

Edited by Service Desk

• 3 years later...

Hi guys

I followed the topic about the ''best'' . 40 barrels and so on. I believe most of the brands are top brands, no doubt about that.

It always depends on what kind of bullets one uses (FMJ, CP and so on). Me (and lots of fellow shooters) have problems especially

with new barrels, to make them work. So far we tryed Schuemann and STI (bull 5''). Usualy the FMJ aren't a problem, the work perfectly.

Unfortunatly I can't afford to use them anymore, that's why I'm using for example the CP from Berry's, or the .401 from H&N, but they don't work

out of those (new) barrels. On 25m out of ten rounds, maybe 7 are on the target. So my question is - do you guys know about those problems, if yes -

any recommondations / advise' are welcome.

Cheers

Hampi

Hi guys

I followed the topic about the ''best'' . 40 barrels and so on. I believe most of the brands are top brands, no doubt about that.

It always depends on what kind of bullets one uses (FMJ, CP and so on). Me (and lots of fellow shooters) have problems especially

with new barrels, to make them work. So far we tryed Schuemann and STI (bull 5''). Usualy the FMJ aren't a problem, the work perfectly.

Unfortunatly I can't afford to use them anymore, that's why I'm using for example the CP from Berry's, or the .401 from H&N, but they don't work

out of those (new) barrels. On 25m out of ten rounds, maybe 7 are on the target. So my question is - do you guys know about those problems, if yes -

any recommondations / advise' are welcome.

Cheers

Hampi

You will want to try the search page and look for copper plated bullets. The plated bullets tend to have very thin plating, that doesn't hold up. And, they need almost zero crimp.

No one actually knows. Buy 30 of each maker's barrels and test them from a fixture, then we'll know. At least, we'll know which one shoots that load best, in that caliber and configuration.

I have two KKM's that shoot great, a Schuemann that shoots great, and a Briley that shoots great. What does that mean? Bupkis.

Everything here is just an anecdote. Not even the most prolific pistolsmith has sufficient data to answer this question.