Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Poll- What rifle bullet weight do you use?

Bear1142

I use 55gr FMJ-BT Hornady for everything out to 100-200 yards. Beyond that ive had great luck w/ Hornady 60gr V-Max and the 68gr BTHP bullets. Ive tried the 69grSMK's but my JP barrel prefers the 68's. Ive just started tinkering w/ some 73gr Berger match bullets and the 75gr Hornady's.

55s for everything except extreme long range. At Ironman it was 55gr. American Eagle out to 400yds. with no problem hitting that wasn't traceable to either me, or the scope that I found out later had a parallax problem. On the long range bonus stage (500 and 600 yards) I used a different rifle, a 20" Bushmaster, shooting Black Hills with the 69gr. Sierra, and had no problem making the hits.

The only disadvantage of using 55s that I can tell is wind resistance, or lack thereof, when there is a stiff crosswind and the range is over 300 yards.

Once a year when I have my Match Director hat on there is nothing more frustrating then having to explain to a competitor that his 52gr or slow 55 gr. is not activating the reactive target and he will be scored as a miss. Maybe this thread will encourage a few more folks to use two loads. One mouse load for paper and a 69 gr. or heavier load for the steel.

This way we can have some far shots in the match. I'm still looking for that reactive targets that can be moved by a 55 gr. .223 and hold up to a squad of Heavy metal guy's and gal's. It's not out there yet.

Carl

Erik,

Rest assured. I'll be testing 68's, 75's and 77's on the new gun. They're all sold in bulk so basically...same price as anything else. I'm not worried about wind. A 55 is just fine going out to the short distances (< 500m) that we shoot. I'm with Butch in that I'm more concerned with down range energy than wind.

Rich

Talk to the High power guys.......they went from 55's to 68/69's and at that point were VERY competative with the .308's from 100 to 300 yards......then they went to the 75/77's and the rest is history.

In our game.....at an averge match, there probably is not need for anything over 55.....(meaning out to 300yds) Infact, the 'real' ballistics really are not to much different between any of the bullet wts.

After 300yds......whoa....start using the 68/69's.

and once you go to 68/69....no need for 55's any more, that is if you're reloading. No need to have 2 special recipes.....just work on one.

Now.....we start seein LOTS of targets at that 600yd mark, I may go to 75's......but I dont think you'll see a steady diet of it anytime soon.

When I shot highpower, I had a barrel that I could not get to shoot the 77 vld's any where near as good as I could get the 69mk's to shoot.....sooo I went that route. (NOTE>>>>>this was back in 87, when they had just come out with the 'VLD's' and you couldnt load them to box length.....that is, till Hornady came out with the first 75 grain that could)

69s everywhere for matches. 55s for plinking and practicing out to 200. I have enough issues at matches that I don't need to add to the disaster factor potential by adding a second type of rifle ammo to the mix.

The only disadvantage of using 55s that I can tell is wind resistance, or lack thereof, when there is a stiff crosswind and the range is over 300 yards.

or a friggin laRue...

You just gotta HIT LaRue's Butch :D