Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What is the crappiest gun you have shot a match with?

I want to hear about the el cheapo craptastic toys that you have shot a match with. Even if they worked great but otherwise reeked of crapitude they qualify for this list. If you have pics thats even better!

-ld

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

when I started in this game,I always tried to get the best I could afford and still practice that...however, I have a bud who liked to take his home built gun and beat all us "buy it" kind of shooters...say him roll up to a match...take his gun out of his tool box, take the mags that he was using for the match and hit them a time or two with a flat file to knock off the rust and then proceed to win the match...did not happen often, but just that once was an eye opener for me...

Borrowed craptastic fudged up 1911 single stack. Custom work had been done in a garage on a drill press. Or maybe a hand drill, no press.

Also a Jerico, opened up so wide it would feed legos, and bulge every piece of brass.

A worn out G17 and mixed bags of mags and ammo. No, before you ask, it was not perfection, and didn't run 100%.

this one's easy-first match was 1984 steel challenge-shot it (i should say attempted to) with a 7" AMT longslide. :lol: :lol:

I saw some one use one in 2004 too = At least he didn't drive far to get to the match. It worked most of the time I was watching.

Edited by AlamoShooter

I never really had a total crappy gun to shoot with.

My first auto was a Ruger P95DC that got me to try this game and I already had my first wheelgun a Ruger SuperRedhawk 44 mag with 9-1/2" barrel with 210 power factor loads for my light loads.

I watched my buddy shoot our Tuesday Night Steel match with a CZ-52 in 7.62 Tokerov. That was too funny. Recoil was severe, mag capacity was low but you KNEW when he hit one of those plates!

-ld

My first gun was a new Stainless Colt Gold Cup Ten. The gun came with a test target showing a wonderful 5 shot group which was interesting because it could not shoot 2 consecutive shots without jamming. After 2 trips back to Colt to fix the trigger, feeding and extraction issues, it was obvious that they were not going to get the job done right. I found a local smith that basically removed all of the Colt internal parts and replaced them with CMC parts and life was good. Shot it in competition until the Para frames came out and it is now one of my winter carry guns.

My first gun SPRINGFIELD ARMORY 2 toned like TGO special. .45 this crap would not fire.

I shot 2 stages with it that took me 200.00 seconds and just keeps jammimg after jamming.

in frustration, after taking out a jammed round, I threw it at the berm!! a freind fished it out

and said to send it to the factory. I did and they lapped the breech face and repalced the ejector,

by that time, i lost confident on the product and got an STI never FAILED!!

Always had great guns from primo gunsmiths.... Never had a gun fail me...... Now mag problems I can talk about. <_<

Added - have had a few sights fly off but can't bitch too much about that.

Edited by Merlin Orr

Not necessarily crappy but just not the best choice. I shot my first matches in the 80's with a S&W 39, yes, a 9mm single stack. I borrowed it from a friend because he had a holstaer and mags(7) and pouches and it at least had adjustable sites. I shot OK but i missed a lot so I was miserable while having fun. This was back when people were shooting comped Single Stacks so I wasn't too far behind.

Neal in AZ

Not necessarily crappy but just not the best choice. ....

Neal in AZ

You bring up a good point Neal; I am not trying to put together a list of manufacturers or models that suck just a fun list of equipment that either wasn't suited to the task or perhaps not the best representative of its type.

Thanks,

-ld

Colt 1991. It was plenty accurate, but wouldn't run. Every time I tried to shoot a fun match, I'd get at least one jam on every string. I'd throw it back in the safe and forget about it for a few months, and then try again with the same results. I finally just gave it to my little brother to plink with.