Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Single Stack Photo Thread

dirtypool40

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It is a Bianchi Metallic division (NRA Action Pistol) gun that takes advantage of all the rules. I built it on a Fosters frame, Caspian slide with an STI TruBor blank 9mm barrel. I wanted to run a 6.25" barrel with an 8.5" sight radius, yet have a lighter 5" slide. The front sight is from Clarks, sitting in a European style dovetail (along bore, not sideways). The sight sits on the end of the TruBor blank, so it is similar to a sight tracker and gives the extended sight radius without the weight of using a 6" slide. Plus, it is a true 6.20" length barrel which I felt was better than putting a fake comp on a 5" or 6" barrel. Additionally, the heavy (HEAVY) barrel reduces slide velocity. Initially, the slide wouldn't even open after firing a +P round. Barely opened after lightening the slide. Then I started taking weight off the barrel blank until the slide "just" functioned and locked open on empty. Very soft shooting, without being sluggish or slow.

The rear sight (Shifty Sight) is my own design that shifts Right and Left for the mover event. It returns to center so there is no need to rezero after shooting the mover. The lead length is adjustable for different bullet weights/speeds and barrel lengths. Once set, the sight unlocks, shifts to the stop (right or left), then locks in place. It works great and it probably the best thing I've designed so far, mainly because it is so simple. I can't believe it hadn't been done before. I tested this at Bianchi. After I shot the mover event I went to the practice range to confirm zero at 50m. Put them all in the X ring! I had tested it before the match, but I wanted to recheck it.

The grips I made from Honduran Rosewood (shut it Wayne). The Prone pad is from Warren, raises the gun up for prone shooting. The trigger is an X-line trigger, I have another post on that elsewhere on this forum. The rules specify a minimum 2 pound trigger pull. I set up the X-line as a two stage trigger, 1 pound initial and 1.03 additional pounds for the second stage. Very, very easy to shoot groups with this set up. This trigger makes the 50 meter line a snap. Sent it to Black Dove for the insane Cerakote job. I specified the colors (something go with the grips) and he knocked it out!

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

My new to me 9mm Springfield RO I picked up this morning, couple of changes to it, Techwell SP and Dualtech grips and an ED Brown ext mag release and Wilson Combat checkered front strap.. Soon to drop out the ILS and mainspring housing and fit a Dawson IPSC magwell. At the moment it's a back up to my 9mm Nighthawk but once it's set up will be my minor Classic gun.

post-55266-0-91668600-1457744348_thumb.j

post-55266-0-59432700-1457744366_thumb.j

Edited by terrydoc

• 2 weeks later...

many shooters are using that kind of set up in their classic guns (at least where i'm from), it fits the ipsc box.

if it's not allowed then its just an easy fix anyway .

Check this from the mouth of the IPSC Rules director. http://ipsc.invisionzone.com/index.php?showtopic=19654

Thanks for the link. Found this in that forum

7a7cebdc774e1aa3a1e4858aebb76239.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...

Here's my taurus 9mm. I put $13 grips from ebay, a Wilson low safety, and an s&a magwell.
I deleted the series 80 parts, clipped a coil from mag release spring and mainspring, installed a 10lb recoil spring, cut the factory front sight into a fiber optic sight, and polished the trigger and moving parts. I left alone the sear and disconnect- I don't have tools for that. I have about 1200 rounds through her and the only malfunction was an FTE before I got the proper recoil spring. I estimate she has a 3lb trigger. Very good slide to frame fit. Runs with factory mags, but I bought metalform mags to get 10 rounds.
I estimate I have $700 in this, not including magazines. I bought this just to learn about 1911s. I'm a glock shooter in Limited and this gun taught me I don't like the ergonomics of the 1911 platform. Blasphemy, I know! post-52094-1460423299_thumb.jpg

I posted this because people snicker at the idea of a Taurus pistol being a workable option. I'm having no problems with this.

Edited by obsessiveshooter

post-45587-0-57811800-1460909828_thumb.j

Picked up a customized Norinco 1911 - going to see how accurate it is and try it for 3-gun Heavy Metal. All internals were swapped out to Ed Brown, 10-8, C&S. Kart barrel. Slide and frame markings other than s/n were machined off and it was re-cerakoted.

• 2 months later...