Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Open Gun Pictures

shooterbenedetto

Just picked this up in the classifieds. Can't wait to put a bunch of rounds downrange!!!! Done a little work to it. Added Quinn III mount, changed trigger and did my first stippling job on a grip!

IMGP3081_zps768f922f.jpgIMGP3082_zpsc3949c96.jpgIMGP3086_zpsa5473677.jpg

is this a 38 super pistol ???

reason I'm asking is that a HUGE comp on the end...

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Before and after picture. Last year I bought a well used STI chambered in 9x23. Had a local smith rebarrel to 9x19.

Work included:

- KKM Barrel cut to 4.8" threaded 5.75x40 tpi

- fit barrel hood & lower lugs

- Fit Brazos Thundercomp II

- Finish ream chamber

- Throat ream

- tri-top

- lighten ~ 10oz

- fabricate racker in place of JPoint.

- Refinish in Titanium Cerakote

I'm extremely satisfied.

Total transformation! Looks great!

Just picked this up in the classifieds. Can't wait to put a bunch of rounds downrange!!!! Done a little work to it. Added Quinn III mount, changed trigger and did my first stippling job on a grip!

Yup it is a Dawson Awesome Comp. It is 9mm! Shot a few this weekend and it shoots flat and soft at 179-180 PF. This gun actually shoots about 50-60 F/S faster then my old trubor with a T-1 comp. I was getting around 1400 f/s with the trubor and with this I am around 1450+/-. I am going to see how it is around 175 this weekend.

Edited by kitestir

• 2 weeks later...

So by in-house you mean you did this? Or your gunsmith did this all in -house? And as a follow up, if the latter, who is said gunsmith and will he tell me how to make those sweet slide cuts?

Everything was done in house.

2rpen29.jpg

2q1ba8h.jpg

Who did your Hardchrome? Polished flats?

• 2 weeks later...

Yup it is a Dawson Awesome Comp. It is 9mm! Shot a few this weekend and it shoots flat and soft at 179-180 PF. This gun actually shoots about 50-60 F/S faster then my old trubor with a T-1 comp. I was getting around 1400 f/s with the trubor and with this I am around 1450+/-. I am going to see how it is around 175 this weekend.

Any update? How do you like it vs your Trubor?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Any update? How do you like it vs your Trubor?

Sorry, missed this post. It is much nicer to shoot then the Trubor. The comp really works well in the 175-178pf range. The trubor I had a hard time tracking the dot because recoil was a lot harsher. WIth this the dot goes to the top of the A zone or just into the C zone and then back. It is very predicable! The first range session I had used slide glide and the temps were in the teens and I got a few FTE. I talked with Bobby and he suggested a lighter recoil spring and lube until the gun was completely broken in. Went to an 8lb ISMI and modil 1 synthetic. Since then I have not had any issues at all. I have shot it from 10 degrees to in the 60's so far. I have put over 1200 rounds through it in the last 2 months. It is an awesome shooting gun!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Had my USPSA Open Division Race gun upgraded to 9mm Major by John of http://www.jplprecision.com. Shoots awesome. You can see it in action in my YouTube channel (http://youtube.com/gunrobot)
9mm Major severely lightened Caspian slide with a KKM barrel, C-more Serendipity sight, KIDD Blast shield.
8756669746_2e488a1565_c.jpg
Arredondo thumbrest, chopped DAA Foldable Jet Wings.
8755547707_d4d0efb618_c.jpg
SV Long Flat trigger insert, Dawson Magwell, Dawson grip tape on SV frame + grip.
8755546469_e62d92f4fb_c.jpg
And the Jet Wings propping the gun up to give it & the thumbrest clearance.
8755546941_1251827116_c.jpg

• 1 month later...

I had always used Quinn mounts so I'm just used to it.

The black Shogun was my first Shogun and it came with an upright mount with a blast shield. That 5th barrel hole would hammer the c-more pretty hard.

I switched to the Cheely setback mount and now I barely bother to wipe off the lens. I don't worry about not being able to see through it, just didn't want to pit the lens.

I have had this for awhile, just have not shared pics with you. Bedell built, shorty, 38 SC

OK B_Seehawer, I get you are used to the sideways mount.

Sudden Death, how about you? Why the sideways mount?

Lee

I have had this for awhile, just have not shared pics with you. Bedell built, shorty, 38 SC

OK B_Seehawer, I get you are used to the sideways mount.Sudden Death, how about you? Why the sideways mount?Lee
Is the way to go coming from limited, I like the Quinn 3, he is the original designer of the sideways mount, if you get the Quinn mount ask for the rest that is mid mount, that's the one, they also make a thumb rest that is mounted towards the bottom, for me I did not think that would be right for me.

I would also suggest having a flat top slide too, if not set your screw holes a little higher on a build, there has been report of cmore hitting slide that has not been flat topped , but I don't know how the holes were drilled and tapped ?? May have been to close to slide in the beginning ???

Edited by Sudden Death