Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Romeo 3XL

LarryL

Hello gang, 

about to pull the trigger on an Infinity open gun and am torn between making the choice for optic.

Ive been seeing them lately with the Romeo 3 XLs, and love how they look and love the extra large glass.

Ive been using an SRO and 507c on my other guns and like those… but wanted to maybe try the XL…. But some of the previous “Sig Stories” have me second guessing myself.

I know that the SRO and 507c will be much more durable…. But this is gonna be for a frame mount…

never the less, are they really breaking for people that often? Should I stick with the SRO or go with the XL?

sig is pretty awesome to deal with regarding warranty, so you can have confidence there, but it's still annoying. It is also plausible that as the result of all those warranties, the newest version of the romeo 3 is actually going to hold up better.

we have 2 romeo 3xl's and like them, but each has been replaced once (took about a year or two of slide-ride shooting), and one of them will probably get replaced again this winter. I just bought a 507 comp to try on limited optics gun, and i think i like it at least as much as the romeo3. For the current price, I have a hard time justifying the r3xl anymore. (we paid $525 for ours a few years ago). Even if I could find one at $525, I would still lean towards the holosun at 360 (330 for red, but I like the green better I think).

i have 4 xl’s an one max. one xl on open gun buttons stopped working an week i had new dot at the door. same with my max. one week at the door. both had older buttons. they have since changed those buttons an newer one on my open gun since 10-2022 has been perfect. 

I have a Romero 3max and it’s been flawless, I also just recently got a holosun 507 comp and between the 2 I’m liking the 507 more

they both have large windows, shake awake, and stupid long battery life

the advantage of the 507 is the ability to stack the various reticles, it’s a lot cheaper, and has a much more common RMR footprint

I have R3XL's on my 3 open guns and 1 spare ;-), yet overall I think they are very good (relatively low profile, big window with relatively small frame and a crisp dot that can be intensified through the buttons on the side, depending on lighting circumstances, easy to replace the 2032 battery (which lasts relatively long)). But ... I also confirm that all 3 have broken down (2 issues: one of the buttons stopped working and/or the dot started flickering uncontrolled (even with a new battery in it) and were indeed all replaced quickly under the SIg warranty. That might sound bad, but honestly, in the clubs I'm shooting the OD and POD shooters have many different red dots, and all of them have had issues at one point or another ... not always supported by the great Sig warranty ... So, I plan to stick with the R3XL's ;-)

The optics is great, when it works. Everyone I know who has an Sig optic has had to use the warranty. Mine broke at a very in-opportune time so I got a replacement and sold the brand new one. Running an SRO now. 

• 4 weeks later...

Sig optics barely last. I personally use the SRO because thats what ive used in CO for so long before making the switch. If that is out of your budget i would go with the RTS2. Half the price with a warranty that lasts also. Both will break eventually and have to be warrantied 

Been running multiple Sig Romeo 3 XL.  In true Sig fashion they used their customer base to Beta test over the first year. The very first Romeo 3 Max I had to go back because it could not be zeroed, but warranty repair had it back in less than 10 days.  After that, I purchased 3 of the XLs and had zero issues for over 2 years now.    They seem to have addressed the major issues.   

Edited by Boomstick303

I have been through 3 of the Max version of the dot on my open gun so far most of them lasted between 6 and 10k rounds.

The 4th which is on the gun started blinking out sometimes (a symoptom which one of the others had exhibited. Other than having them fail prematurely they were an excellent dot.

I've decided I don't want to have to deal with this anymore so I've just replaced it with a 507 comp to see if I can live with that.

But previously I was willing to live with lack of longevity as the dot worked well for me otherwise.

On 12/11/2023 at 4:21 PM, Midwest3Gunner said:

Have you looked at the FTP Alpha 3 at all? I see they just came out with a short body to fit the RTS2 foot print, or the OG is similar to the Romeo 3 footprint.

Definitely take a look at our optic. It was designed by competitors FOR competitors and has all the features you would want for a better price than the Sig. With our new SB version, it wil also fit any RTS-2 mount.  We also offer 6, 8, 10 and even 12 MOA dots while the largest you can get with Sig is 6 MOA. The 8 and 10 MOA dots really stand out when you shoot in bright sunlight so you don't have to worry about them washing out.  There is also a coupon code for BE users.

I don't think you will ever find someone from Holosun or Sig answering questions on the forums or incorporating feedback into their new versions either ;)

32 minutes ago, FTP_Shooting_Sports said:

Definitely take a look at our optic. It was designed by competitors FOR competitors and has all the features you would want for a better price than the Sig. With our new SB version, it wil also fit any RTS-2 mount.  We also offer 6, 8, 10 and even 12 MOA dots while the largest you can get with Sig is 6 MOA. The 8 and 10 MOA dots really stand out when you shoot in bright sunlight so you don't have to worry about them washing out.  There is also a coupon code for BE users.

I don't think you will ever find someone from Holosun or Sig answering questions on the forums or incorporating feedback into their new versions either ;)

I'll probably be putting one on an open gun and a LO gun eventually.

Edited by Midwest3Gunner

Romeo3s have become stupid expensive, in a climate of cheaper and more affordable dots it’s actually gone up in price. Average price is now 600-700. 

I wonder if this has to do with all the optics they’ve had to warranty for bad buttons.  

41 minutes ago, Rich406 said:

Romeo3s have become stupid expensive, in a climate of cheaper and more affordable dots it’s actually gone up in price. Average price is now 600-700. 

I wonder if this has to do with all the optics they’ve had to warranty for bad buttons.  

I was wondering the same thing.  They have possibly out priced themselves for me.  I am exploring other options currently.

7 minutes ago, Boomstick303 said:

I was wondering the same thing.  They have possibly out priced themselves for me.  I am exploring other options currently.

I used to be able to get them for 475, now 600 is a good deal and 699 is the going rate. 

Fortunately, I have an ample supply from pre price jump, and they all have the new button design, which I’ve had no issues with.  

12 hours ago, Rich406 said:

I used to be able to get them for 475,

Yea I wish I would have bought a couple of more when they were that price.  Not sure if I have the updated buttons or not, but they have not given me any issues.  Never see them for that price anymore.  

Edited by Boomstick303

Yeah, me too. I just bought a 507 Comp from Holosun directly for € 469,-  which is way better than the € 1.000,- I paid for a Trijicon SRO! 😁    The SRO has been great on my Shadow 2, but man.... that's serious money. 

I really hope the 507 Comp lives up to it's reputation albeit a short one....  cause it's half the price of the SRO... My God.....

On 1/11/2024 at 6:04 PM, FTP_Shooting_Sports said:

Very interesting! What’s the coupon code and how much of a discount is it? Only thing that makes me hesitate is the 30 month warranty compared to C-More 30 year and Sig’s lifetime/5yr

Edited by crsuribe

4 hours ago, crsuribe said:

Very interesting! What’s the coupon code and how much of a discount is it? Only thing that makes me hesitate is the 30 month warranty compared to C-More 30 year and Sig’s lifetime/5yr

And Sigs is a "no questions asked" warranty. 

FTP's warranty states that broken glass is not warrantied.

Break glass on the R3? No problem, RMA is in your inbox about 5 seconds later.

I have sent back 3 Romeo xl dots for warranty within a 4 month period. Back in 2022 when I got my limcats I had both equipped with 6 moa Romeo 3xl dots.  After 1 kept shifting on windage another on elevation and one the buttons just stopped working all together I sold all 3 and got the FTP alpha dots for my open guns and haven’t looked back since.  I’ve had no issues with the FTP dots in almost 2 years.  

4 hours ago, OpenshooterMclass4lyfe said:

I have sent back 3 Romeo xl dots for warranty within a 4 month period. Back in 2022 when I got my limcats I had both equipped with 6 moa Romeo 3xl dots.  After 1 kept shifting on windage another on elevation and one the buttons just stopped working all together I sold all 3 and got the FTP alpha dots for my open guns and haven’t looked back since.  I’ve had no issues with the FTP dots in almost 2 years.  

Both the windage and the button problem are fixed, if you have a newer optic. If not you can send it in for warranty and get a new optic, without the old problems. 

FTP is a good optic, made in the exact same factory, with a lot of the same parts. It’s also nearly half the price. The warranty experience is much different, it’s involved and takes awhile. 

I’ve used both, and they both have their pluses and minuses. Depending on which features are important to you, you really can’t go wrong with either. If you do have a problem though, I’d rather deal with Sig. but you’re paying a premium for that. 

Edited by Rich406