Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Ratcheting Belt

ColoradoNick

I picked up a DAA Lynx belt with ratchet attachment for my new L/O setup. I really like how snug I can get the belt utilizing the ratchet but I'm not in love with how it feels like it bunches up in my lower back with the inner belt. Has anyone come up with a solution for this? I haven't shot a match with it yet but I guess I will ratchet down before shooting, and then immediately loosen afterwards... 

1 minute ago, outerlimits said:

Excellent thank you. Before I order that, has anyone tried cutting their inner belt so it does not overlap, by maybe 5-6" underneath where the ratchet is? This would hold the outer belt in place vertically while also not bunching up as the ratchet was tightened?

1 hour ago, ColoradoNick said:

Excellent thank you. Before I order that, has anyone tried cutting their inner belt so it does not overlap, by maybe 5-6" underneath where the ratchet is? This would hold the outer belt in place vertically while also not bunching up as the ratchet was tightened?

For anyone else wondering I went ahead and tried this with an extra

inner belt and it works perfectly! 

Edited by ColoradoNick

15 minutes ago, dapribek said:

Yes, but an outer belt without an inner belt must go through, I believe, 2 or 3 belt loops to be legal. 

Yep, the inner belt also holds it more secure vertically. I’ve basically cut the inner belt so it clears my belt loops at 5 and 7 oclock by about an inch. This leaves the gap in the middle of my back at about 6”. No more bunching and it feels very secure 👍. Only downside would be the inner belt by itself doesn’t work (if you need a belt to actually hold your pants up).

I also have two ratcheting belts and the inner belt is a real uncomfortable problem bunching up. I believe the rules could allow the outer belt without an inner belt because the ratcheting belt can be very very secure.

"The belt or the inner belt or both must be either securely fixed at the waist or secured with a minimum of three belt loops."

1 hour ago, terrydoc said:

So you want to change the rule because you can't fix a very minor issue for yourself? 

Read 5.2.3

I shot a match with the shortened inner belt and it functioned perfectly. 

Edited by ColoradoNick

10 hours ago, terrydoc said:

So you want to change the rule because you can't fix a very minor issue for yourself? 

I didn’t see anything about him wanting to change a rule. 
Looks like he is saying the wording of the rules allow it to be done the way he described, and is looking for verification. 

6 hours ago, terrydoc said:

Whats your point?

Uhhh…. It’s very clearly legal in the rule book, and part of the reason I made this post to begin with? I was reporting back it functioned appropriately in a match environment.

You understand this is a forum to share ideas and you are not required to participate right? No one here was waiting for your input. You didn’t have to even read it. I hope your day gets better ✌️

Edited by ColoradoNick

back in the day we had belt keepers.. Baasically a strip of leather with a button. Regular pants belt when on,, gun belt went over that and the three keepers just buttoned them together... Then the velcro came out..
The velcro doesnt bunch if you dont tighten the outer belt and it just ends up where it ends up. The inner belt doing the basic tight duty. That being said I just bought a 1.75" much heavier than their EDC belts NEX belt. to use as a gun belt and just running it IDPA style and threading my stuff on in the AM

7 hours ago, terrydoc said:

Whats your point?

Not sure what your point is.  He asked if someone had tried something.  He then tried it himself and reported back that it worked within the rule set.  You know, how the forum works.  He also mentioned nothing about changing any rules.  But thanks for the constructive addition to the thread.  

11 hours ago, ColoradoNick said:

I shot a match with the shortened inner belt and it functioned perfectly. 

I did this for my 2-Gun/3-Gun belt upon discussions from another thread.  I have considered doing this to my USPSA belts but I just have not found the need as of yet.  I have considered switching to that DAA Lynx belt for USPSA, and if I did I would definitely choose that Ratchet option.  The DAA Lynx belt looks like it would be easier to fly to matches with.  

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

What is it about the Kore inner belt that avoids the bunching problem?

I checked the website but it is not obvious from the pictures.

Does it still use velcro for the inner/outer belt interface?

I thought in an older post someone had taken a section out of their inner belt and replaced it with some HD elastic and Velcro. This connects the ends but the elastic takes up the slack and slides underneath. Actually Nicks is easier as long as it works. 

59 minutes ago, ddc said:

I actually ended up ordering one of these and used it in a match today, I really like it! It has a short 4-6” section that’s thin and more flexible. Set the Lynx up so it’s tight without ratcheting and give it just a few clicks. It worked perfectly.

Edited by ColoradoNick

4 hours ago, ddc said:

As, ColoradoNick mentioned, it basically has a section that allows it to bunch up.