Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What Do You Use For Mags? 140/170mm Tubes?

PistolPete

I'm curious what you open guys are using for mag tubes. I know eveyone needs at least 1 170mm tube but I'm curious how many everyone uses? Do you use 2 170mm tubes and 2 140's or do you use 4 140mm tubes and 1 170mm tube? I was thinking of getting 4 140mm and 1 170mm tube myself. Any help is greatly appreciated. For my limited gun I use (5) 140mm tubes..

Thanks for your help,

Pete

I have 2 170's and 4 140's. I have found this to be a good compromise on the number of tubes. Not very many stages require more than two tubes. If I use a 170 and 140 on one stage I still have a full belt setup for the next stage. This gives me a little flexibility on mag loading if for instance I am the last shooter on a stage and need to move on quickly. Also if I use 2 140's the same applies as I can still have my mag setup ready for the next stage.

Hope this helps, Craig

I have 2 170's and 4 140's. I have found this to be a good compromise on the number of tubes. Not very many stages require more than two tubes. If I use a 170 and 140 on one stage I still have a full belt setup for the next stage. This gives me a little flexibility on mag loading if for instance I am the last shooter on a stage and need to move on quickly. Also if I use 2 140's the same applies as I can still have my mag setup ready for the next stage.

Hope this helps, Craig

+1

For open (4 140's and 1 170) That's about all you'll ever need. 3 on the belt and 1 in the gun. 3 gives you enough room in case you drop mag during a reload or whatever else might come up.

With most stages <32rds, barring any standards and if there were no problems, the most I'd ever use is 2 mags.

Edited by Precision40

I was always collected too much stuff.. :D

but I would use 2 170mm mags and 4 140mm mags..

but always had another 2 170mm and 4 140mm back on the bench as spares..

always ended only really using a 170mm and 2 140mm mags at a match.

You think you only need 2 mags till you shoot the rifle stage at the local match with your handgun... I went through 67 rounds on that stage :blink:

I have 4 140's and a 170. I'm going to pick up one more 170. Then I can send half of my mags at one time to Grams to get tuned, and not stop shooting :)

5 - 140s with Dawson base pads and just one 170

But, I shoot mostly steel and do more like 'visit' the IPSC matches. Fun is fun though.

The Dawson base pads are close to a must if you dont like sand and mud in your mags.

its eazy to break down the mag and run a brush through.

And the most important part is ! They Look Cool.

Edited by AlamoShooter

While running a stage I usualy have a 170 in the gun and 2 140's on the belt

Usualy I take 3 170's and 6 140's to the match, but use the same 3 on all stages

The rest are home in the safe

MVZ

2 170's 3 150's???(that shows you how long I have been in hi caps they are tubes SV sold that hold 24 rds I really havent seen many others around) and 5 140's. I don't like to clean mags at a match and I like to have backups. Stuff happens.

Two 170s and seven 140s. When one lands in the sand or mud at a local match, its done for the day unless I have time to thoroughly clean it. I prefer 140s unless there's a particular advantage in using a big stick.

2 170's and 5 140's. Since we have a ten round limit here in Canada I need at least 3-4 140's (plugged for 10)plus a spare for most field courses, on the occasional poorly designed field course where there are 5 banks of 3 targets (yeah it happens) I'll borrow an extra.

In the US my big sticks only get used on 20-24 round stages, if the stage is bigger than that I just use 140's and plan my reloads.