Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Practiscore and privacy?

ColoradoNick

Don’t sign up with your name and then hope your match director doesn’t throw out your score when they submit to USPSA because it doesn’t match and they don’t know who you are without digging into it. 

what is your concern with this? 

10 minutes ago, Nathanb said:

Don’t sign up with your name and then hope your match director doesn’t throw out your score when they submit to USPSA because it doesn’t match and they don’t know who you are without digging into it. 

what is your concern with this? 

Wouldn't they match your member number? 

Edited by ColoradoNick

5 minutes ago, ColoradoNick said:

Wouldn't they match your member number? 

If it doesn’t match your name it throws an error. The match director then has extra work to do to look up the number and the name etc to make sure it’s the same person then fix it and reupload all over again. 

They kick it back for review if the number doesn't match the name.  I don't know how much matching they do of the name, but there is some.

Found that out when I typoed my member number once.

We have shooters that use different names for various reasons and the MDs seem mostly cool with it, but probably don't want a ton of people doing it.

9 minutes ago, Nathanb said:

If it doesn’t match your name it throws an error. The match director then has extra work to do to look up the number and the name etc to make sure it’s the same person then fix it and reupload all over again. 

If its just the name is different it is an easy check box to click, when uploading to USPSA no big deal, we get the same error when Robert signs up as Bob, that said I would tell the MD when you see  him at the match that you used a different name so he knows that (your fake name) used the USPSA number for (your real name) is for real 

2 hours ago, MikeBurgess said:

If its just the name is different it is an easy check box to click, when uploading to USPSA no big deal, we get the same error when Robert signs up as Bob, that said I would tell the MD when you see  him at the match that you used a different name so he knows that (your fake name) used the USPSA number for (your real name) is for real 

Depends though if someone enters a fake name and not a shortened name it gets really hard to figure out and if you’re an md who cares you now have extra work to do because someone is concerned with someone knowing they shot a match?

On 3/20/2023 at 10:05 AM, shred said:

They kick it back for review if the number doesn't match the name.  I don't know how much matching they do of the name, but there is some.

Found that out when I typoed my member number once.

We have shooters that use different names for various reasons and the MDs seem mostly cool with it, but probably don't want a ton of people doing it.

It's not a huge deal when you do the USPSA upload. They give you a checkbox that says "AJ Johnson used member number XXXXXX, which belongs to Aaron J Johnson. Please confirm that they are the same person."

As a MD and score uploader, I actually know who I'll have to confirm just based on experience. Similarly, if you register with a name that's remotely close to your actual one (and I know who you are), I'm just going to confirm it. The only issue I'd have is John Smith registering as Shooter McBlastyPants when I didn't personally know them because I'd have no way to connect those dots.

5 hours ago, matteekay said:

It's not a huge deal when you do the USPSA upload. They give you a checkbox that says "AJ Johnson used member number XXXXXX, which belongs to Aaron J Johnson. Please confirm that they are the same person."

As a MD and score uploader, I actually know who I'll have to confirm just based on experience. Similarly, if you register with a name that's remotely close to your actual one (and I know who you are), I'm just going to confirm it. The only issue I'd have is John Smith registering as Shooter McBlastyPants when I didn't personally know them because I'd have no way to connect those dots.

If my name was McBlastyPants and I was signing up for a Taco Bell eating competition, I'd register as John Smith.  

• 1 month later...
14 minutes ago, Bakerjd said:

You do know it's really easy to take the USPSA number and figure out what the name of the shooter is regardless of if they used a fake name on PS right? 

For those of us who know how, yes. I have ID'ed "anonymous" people from their youtube videos in under 10 minutes, but if you don't know practiscore or have a USPSA membership it's tougher.

We have a few people working in sensitive areas who would be at risk of losing their job (and some have) if their name/picture/video were to show up in social media in relation to a firearm.

Edited by Artemas

2 minutes ago, Artemas said:

We have a few people working in sensitive area who would be at risk of losing their job  (and some have) if their name/picture/video were to show up in social media in relation to a firearm.

Thats a choice they make though. Being on a video at a match is something that's almost a given now days. If there is a high potential of loosing your job if it happens maybe you shouldn't go to these types of events. There isn't a way to stop people from taking vids, or them making 100% sure you are not in it. 

As for using a fake name on PS to hide your identity I guess but if you have to do that to keep your job see above comment. 

I'm not trying to say it is fair or anything but it is the way life is.

9 hours ago, Artemas said:

For those of us who know how, yes. I have ID'ed "anonymous" people from their youtube videos in under 10 minutes, but if you don't know practiscore or have a USPSA membership it's tougher.

We have a few people working in sensitive areas who would be at risk of losing their job (and some have) if their name/picture/video were to show up in social media in relation to a firearm.

Without going to much into detail can you give an example of a job where you would lose it because of practical shooting? 

School bus driver here. I’ve been told to please not wear shirts or hats with guns pictured on them. Not threatened to be fired directly but our contract mentions “offensive” clothing as a violation 

57 minutes ago, Zachjet said:

Without going to much into detail can you give an example of a job where you would lose it because of practical shooting? 

Work culture + ban state  I know one guy(medical profession) where his (former) company's HR team dug up a FB picture of him at a rifle class and they fired him on the spot because it "does not represent our family values"

Yes our sport is public and it's a risk that some people chose to take, but taking some personal security measures is not a bad thing.

Edited by Artemas

58 minutes ago, Artemas said:

Work culture + ban state  I know one guy(medical profession) where his (former) company's HR team dug up a FB picture of him at a rifle class and they fired him on the spot because it "does not represent our family values"

Yes our sport is public and it's a risk that some people chose to take, but taking some personal security measures is not a bad thing.

I agree 100%.  I don’t have any social media. I’m not about putting stuff on the internet for people to see 

i would peruse action action if I was let go for sport shooting 

2 hours ago, Zachjet said:

I’ve been through hours and hours of social media “training”. Basically anything not representing the values of your employer  can lead to termination if you in anyway represent your employer while doing so. An example would be your social media page saying where you work, a photo, etc. It doesn’t matter if what you’re doing is legal or not. It’s woke culture and unfortunately a lot of higher-ups have bent the knee to the media BS. Practical shooting in a work shirt would probably at least get me a write-up/suspension. Depending on who saw and who complained. 

Edited by ColoradoNick

48 minutes ago, Zachjet said:

I agree 100%.  I don’t have any social media. I’m not about putting stuff on the internet for people to see 

i would peruse action action if I was let go for sport shooting 

unfortunately the first amendment does not apply to job security. Partially why I was asking about PractiScore and privacy. It doesn’t even have to be a ban state but a state with magazine capacity restrictions. 

If someone digs enough they could certainly find that you shoot. Like I said above though you can only be punished if it can be perceived as you representing your employer. (Unless you’re breaking a law, then all bets are off). That could be something as simple as someone saying they overheard you talking, a tshirt, a sticker on your car, bag, patch, etc.

If squadding and results were only visible to others who have signed up or at least logged in instead of publicly it would be helpful. I’m surprised no one else has had issue with this. 

Edited by ColoradoNick

It feels like we've gotten away from realistic concerns. For practiscore to "expose" you with a private profile your hypothetical employer would be looking through practiscore matches in your area looking for you which is a big leap from seeing you've posted competition footage on social media or are wearing paraphernalia at work.

Has your employer actual made an issue out of this from just Practiscore?

14 minutes ago, rtkwe said:

It feels like we've gotten away from realistic concerns. For practiscore to "expose" you with a private profile your hypothetical employer would be looking through practiscore matches in your area looking for you which is a big leap from seeing you've posted competition footage on social media or are wearing paraphernalia at work.

Has your employer actual made an issue out of this from just Practiscore?

All they have to do is google your name. My name comes up on hundreds of pages relating to practical shooting. If I were to change careers where this was suddenly and issue, I'd be screwed. 

AFAIK, PS doesn't show last names if you aren't logged in.  

Many years ago there was a squad of burly dudes with close cropped haircuts all with the last name Smith on one squad at Nats, so there's probably a way to be relatively anonymous if you must, although in this day and age of photo tagging and big-data, somebody's gonna know what you're up to.