Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Who's using small rifle primers in 9mm?

ColoradoNick

Went to the LGS on Saturday to pick up some more small pistol primers and the guy working convinced me to buy small rifle primers (CCI) instead ($20 savings). He insisted I won't notice a difference. I told him I'm running a light main spring and I'm concerned about light primer strikes and he said the small rifle primers will ignite easier than the small pistol primers. When I got home I did some research online and it looks like the consensus is the opposite. I tried to return them but the shop was closed by the time I got back there. What says you guys? 

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

41 minutes ago, ColoradoNick said:

Went to the LGS on Saturday to pick up some more small pistol primers and the guy working convinced me to buy small rifle primers (CCI) instead ($20 savings). He insisted I won't notice a difference. I told him I'm running a light main spring and I'm concerned about light primer strikes and he said the small rifle primers will ignite easier than the small pistol primers. When I got home I did some research online and it looks like the consensus is the opposite. I tried to return them but the shop was closed by the time I got back there. What says you guys? 

I’m sorry, but you believed that s#!t? 
Still, they will most likely work fine in a 1911/2011 

Edited by Sarge

Ive used thousands of SRP in my pcc's and my CO Sig P320 with stock striker spring. Also in my open gun with a 18# hammer spring. They would not work in my Tanfoglio with a light hammer spring. YMMV, good luck. 

1 minute ago, ColoradoNick said:

Yea I'll be returning them this week, I'm running a 11.5# hammer spring in my shadow 2 and I've been shooting a match a week lately. Not interested in dealing with light strikes. 

Who the hell takes back reloading components?

5 minutes ago, ysrracer said:

Who the hell takes back reloading components?

He told me they would... and with how insistent he was on me buying the rifle primers instead of what I asked for he definitely is going to or I'll be making a scene 🤣

15 minutes ago, ColoradoNick said:

He told me they would... and with how insistent he was on me buying the rifle primers instead of what I asked for he definitely is going to or I'll be making a scene 🤣

Gonna put a square box in a round hole ya say?? 😂

I shot a bunch, all in stock guns, including striker guns, with no problems, until I used some Tula in my M&P.  Had fired many, but (of course...) the first problem I had was in a match.  Maybe the thickness of the cup metal was not as consistent as the others I had used.

I did this when SPP were not available, if it were just a matter of $20 I would not bother. 

Edited by mmc45414

Been using CCI SRP in a CZ SP-01, Bull Shadow and S2O all with either 10# or 11# pound main spring.  All have extended firing pins and reduced power FP return springs. 

When I chrono'ed them in several different pistols I got a SLIGHT increase in PF, less than a 0.1gr. of powder.

I’ve used small rifle primers and haven’t noticed a difference in 4 different pistols.  I would suggest them for a revolver with a lightened spring but everything else seems to work fine.  Never had a miss fire.  

If they were Federal SRP, Id say you will be fine, but CCI are a bit harder cup.  However,  Ive used only SRP CCI and Federals in all of my pistols including glocks, (with factory trigger) no issues. They run fine in every one of my 2011s also.

I have used CCI 400's in my PCC for awhile now as I was able to get some at while still inflated prices not terrible and safe my actual pistol primers for my pistols.  I tried a few rounds in my Glock 17 with light striker springs and they still fired...though honestly it was only a handful of rounds.

• 1 month later...