Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Equipment to get started in 2023

cole440

On 1/27/2023 at 7:19 PM, Joe4d said:

I would think its a pressure thing.. at lower pressure it does get dirty.. Also smokes with the old Moly coated bullets or waxy grease ones.. No idea about the current coatings.
HAve also heard revolver shooters complain about how hot it gets... I cant shoot and reload that fast.. 

Tite Group does get very VERY hot and can make it very uncomfortable to grab the cylinder on the reload. It also leaves a lot of residue in the chambers that impedes smooth ejection of the empty cases. N320 is great, BE86 is also good. They are clean and I don't have to brush out my chambers after every stage in a match.

• Replies 217
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am going to exchange the clips for the std ones. Thanks for the help everyone.

One more thing while I have you all, As far as mounting stuff on my belt, I assume the thing to do is to make the mating end of the belt be on my left side, so that I can mount the rack in front and holster on my right side?

Seems like the thing to do, just want to make sure.

12 minutes ago, cole440 said:

I am going to exchange the clips for the std ones. Thanks for the help everyone.

One more thing while I have you all, As far as mounting stuff on my belt, I assume the thing to do is to make the mating end of the belt be on my left side, so that I can mount the rack in front and holster on my right side?

Seems like the thing to do, just want to make sure.

Not that my way is any better, but I connect mine in the back, holster on right and server  is in the middle going to the left side. I can add a single or a dump pouch that way and it's easy to hookup.

Edited by mchapman

Now get the minutea, if you need, or like, your holder to extend out a bit more put the inner belt overlap to the front.  If not to your weak side. 

Always have your holster as flat as possible, I even put keepers just forward of the holster.

My tapered end of the outer belt is to the rear and laps left over right and also has a keeper.  This way the holster and moon clip holder are as flat as possible against the inner belt, reduces movement.

My keepers are one from icore, one from uspsa nationals and one the wife made with a uspsa emblem.

Edited by pskys2

Any reason no love for the 929?  Reason I ask is I’m processing the blazer 9mm brass I use.  This batch is probably ~ 7000pcs.  Makes life easier having lots of brass.  I did go a little crazy and probably have 25k in all, all free and easy to find,  plus DAA moons are way cheaper than TK.

just a thought 

They were hard to find. Now they’re not that hard, just almost double what they were 2 years ago. 

So I know the laws up there are kind of sucky now. How does traveling down here work for you? Or us up to you? 

There were several reasons I went the way that I did. One is .357 magnum. 

The other is that I was able to purchase an older (pre 2003) 627 PC that already has trigger work and is ready to go. I didn't want to mess with setting up a 929 after reading the piles of threads about them.

8 hours ago, cole440 said:

There were several reasons I went the way that I did. One is .357 magnum. 

The other is that I was able to purchase an older (pre 2003) 627 PC that already has trigger work and is ready to go. I didn't want to mess with setting up a 929 after reading the piles of threads about them.

C440:

You won't beat the versatility of a 627.  Can load any of the .38 cartridges and .357.  Can use moon clips or speed loaders or just load by hand.   Have also found loading for the various .38 cartridges is a lot less taxing than messing around with 9mm due to primer pocket sizes, military crimps, and the overall small size of the 9mm.  And if the guys here are correct that the 9mm barrels and chambers for the 929 are really .38 caliber, then using cheap Blazer 9mm may not be the best for accuracy.  

I will leave the 929 alone for now.  Just seems like too many problems.

GG

4 hours ago, gargoil66 said:

C440:

You won't beat the versatility of a 627.  Can load any of the .38 cartridges and .357.  Can use moon clips or speed loaders or just load by hand.   Have also found loading for the various .38 cartridges is a lot less taxing than messing around with 9mm due to primer pocket sizes, military crimps, and the overall small size of the 9mm.  And if the guys here are correct that the 9mm barrels and chambers for the 929 are really .38 caliber, then using cheap Blazer 9mm may not be the best for accuracy.  

GG

While I get the versatility, I've got guns in my safe that never see the light of day.  Once you start competing, every range trip is practice. 

I take Blazer 9mm and load a .358 165gr bullet.  it's not like none of us reload and you get 99.99% of your brass back (I'm sure I've turfed a moon into a berm at some point) So once you've sorted a pile you are good for a while.

4 hours ago, gargoil66 said:

C440:

GG

Waking up in the middle of the night, cold sweat, hands shaking having just dreamed of a 6" barrel on my 627's!?  Keeps floating in my mind visions of a 6" with a removable Comp even!

Afraid I'm losing it?

13 hours ago, MWP said:

So I know the laws up there are kind of sucky now. How does traveling down here work for you? Or us up to you? 

Hard to believe but it's you guys who are the problem.  though I've heard that the land border agents don't ask about medical status...  flying is impossible but brandon has taken to ending the C19 emg in May?  We would love to check out Moro Bay.  Too many of you have regaled us with stories of shooting there.  *bast@rds! 😆

There is extra paperwork to come back into Canada but it's easy and requires a bit of planning. or so I've heard.

41 minutes ago, MikeyScuba said:

While I get the versatility, I've got guns in my safe that never see the light of day.  Once you start competing, every range trip is practice. 

I hear this. I tell people I've turned into such a boring gun guy since I got into competing.

34 minutes ago, MikeyScuba said:

I take Blazer 9mm and load a .358 165gr bullet.  it's not like none of us reload and you get 99.99% of your brass back (I'm sure I've turfed a moon into a berm at some point) So once you've sorted a pile you are good for a while.

Mike:

You misunderstand me here.  Was saying that if the 929 has a .357 barrel, then using factory loaded 9mm with a .355 bullet probably won't give good performance.  

You 'pull / push' a pistol cartridge?  Do it with rifle ammo but not pistol ammo.  

GG

1 hour ago, MikeyScuba said:

Hard to believe but it's you guys who are the problem.  though I've heard that the land border agents don't ask about medical status...  flying is impossible but brandon has taken to ending the C19 emg in May?  We would love to check out Moro Bay.  Too many of you have regaled us with stories of shooting there.  *bast@rds! 😆

There is extra paperwork to come back into Canada but it's easy and requires a bit of planning. or so I've heard.

I believe the medical questions went out the door sept 1 on the northern side of the border, just days after the icore Canadian regional. I know several Canadians who flew and drove in and out last year with guns to go to matches. I’m hoping with the law changes we will be able to go north for matches and bring our stuff though.