Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Equipment to get started in 2023

cole440

1 hour ago, Fishbreath said:

I love me some N320, personally. Cleanest powder I've come across.

My buddy Joe Sutton uses it too, might have to try it at some point.  But have 16lbs Titegroup and 14lbs of ClayDot still.

• Replies 217
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

9 hours ago, ysrracer said:

I found Titegroup to be filthy in my revo. Anybody else?

I would think its a pressure thing.. at lower pressure it does get dirty.. Also smokes with the old Moly coated bullets or waxy grease ones.. No idea about the current coatings.
HAve also heard revolver shooters complain about how hot it gets... I cant shoot and reload that fast.. 

1 hour ago, Joe4d said:

I would think its a pressure thing.. at lower pressure it does get dirty.. Also smokes with the old Moly coated bullets or waxy grease ones.. No idea about the current coatings.
HAve also heard revolver shooters complain about how hot it gets... I cant shoot and reload that fast.. 

JD:

I have a MGM plate rack on a trailer that I use once a week when the weather allows me to shoot any day I want.  

Take my word for it, it doesn't matter the powder being used when it comes to practicing with a plate rack.  I have gotten my revolvers so hot that the cylinder would burn exposed skin.   Put them in some shade and good to go in ten or fifteen minutes.  A couple of squirts of CLP sprayed liberally in the chambers, barrel, crane, and into the trigger; run a brush through the chambers and barrel, wipe off and continue to march. 

And that was with loads that would not make minor with my 627's.  I can imagine how hot a 625 will get shooting like that with major loads.  Not sure I want to do that one.

GG

Another question for you folks, I got my BMT Mooner, along with the starline brass and matching TK clips.

It seems awfully hard to moon the brass with the tool, anybody else have experience with this? I only mooned and de-mooned a few yesterday and it left my hands sore today. I wouldn't consider myself to be particularly sensitive either...

I did some searching, but didn't find much on the subject, only one old thread...

1 hour ago, cole440 said:

Another question for you folks, I got my BMT Mooner, along with the starline brass and matching TK clips.

It seems awfully hard to moon the brass with the tool, anybody else have experience with this? I only mooned and de-mooned a few yesterday and it left my hands sore today. I wouldn't consider myself to be particularly sensitive either...

I did some searching, but didn't find much on the subject, only one old thread...

.38 Short Colt Starline Brass and these TK moon clips work for me

https://tkcustom.com/collections/627/products/swn627x8-025-blue

Edited by ysrracer

12 minutes ago, Toolguy said:

Mine are way easy with the same components. It sounds like maybe the brass groove changed or the moonclips are wrong.

You know what, let me try a few other moon clips first. I’ve only clipped and unclipped the same moon clip so far.

it seems extraordinarily hard

1 hour ago, cole440 said:

You know what, let me try a few other moon clips first. I’ve only clipped and unclipped the same moon clip so far.

it seems extraordinarily hard

With the octagon short colt specific moon clips and my older bmt and new brass or new moon clips they are real hard for the first several uses, then they get a lot easier.

4 hours ago, pskys2 said:

With the octagon short colt specific moon clips and my older bmt and new brass or new moon clips they are real hard for the first several uses, then they get a lot easier.

These are nearly impossible to do in the BMT. Getting the last one in takes all my strength. Seems way too tight compared to what I see in videos of other people using them.

It's also chewing up the brass some and I am kind of worried about the longevity of the bmt if they're going to be this tight...

31 minutes ago, cole440 said:

These are nearly impossible to do in the BMT. Getting the last one in takes all my strength. Seems way too tight compared to what I see in videos of other people using them.

It's also chewing up the brass some and I am kind of worried about the longevity of the bmt if they're going to be this tight...

Something's wrong, contact TK before you ruin something.

19 minutes ago, ysrracer said:

Something's wrong, contact TK before you ruin something.

That's exactly my feeling, I already typed up an email to TK.

I just wasn't sure at first because I have never used moon clips before in any capacity and I don't have any others to compare to. I am super glad to have folks here to ask!

Can you load your moons without using the BMT?  That will tell you a lot.

TKs are great but I used RevolverSupplyCo.Com moons for practice, they are thinner and load very easily.  I used TK or Hearthco for matches.  Get a bunch, nothing is worse than having someone step on a moon.

It's good to have enough moons to get your through a match and a few extra.

10 hours ago, cole440 said:

My experience too, but it gets easier on the next loadings and quickly becomes no issue.  I got to the point that I'd do all but one and do the last one by pliers to press the round in.  Sometimes I could use a towel or pliers as leverage to rotate the bmt.

I have some that have a round center and are a bit looser, actually like them as they seem to be more tolerant with not binding on the reload, I think they're Revolver Supply.  The only problem is the round center doesn't fit the bmt.  So I push the first 2 cartridges in 180 deg apart then use the bmt, works pretty good better than the hand plier types I've used.

The response from TK:

Hi Cole,

The BMT will be very difficult to load Starline. The reason is that the loader tries to load all of the bullets at once. I have looser clips here that will work perfectly with your loader. They are the STD version. I will be happy to exchange them :). Let me know you thoughts.

what say the hive mind? Should I try a different type of clip or just resort to loading these very carefully by hand?

That’s what I’m thinking. Even doing these with hand tools, the brass is so tight that I feel like the chances of me bending the clips is very high.

Especially since I’m brand new at this I think I should maybe get some more practice with something not so hard to work with.

Get the different moon clips. They will be way easier. The BMT doesn't load them all at once. It does two opposite ones at once, same with unloading. There is no need to fight with them. With the right clips, it's easy in, easy out.

Edited by Toolguy

To further confuse, this is what BMT says, which is why I bought this combo.

59EA23EF-DFC7-4077-A43D-3BCD3C996F8E.png

might be hard to read but purple denotes the best fit, green looser, red either too loose or too tight.

TK starline clips with starline brass is a purple combination.

Edited by cole440

2 hours ago, cole440 said:

The response from TK:

Hi Cole,

The BMT will be very difficult to load Starline. The reason is that the loader tries to load all of the bullets at once. I have looser clips here that will work perfectly with your loader. They are the STD version. I will be happy to exchange them :). Let me know you thoughts.

what say the hive mind? Should I try a different type of clip or just resort to loading these very carefully by hand?

C440:

You spent over a hundred on the loader so you could easily load and unload moon clips.  I would try the other moon clips.

GG