Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Equipment to get started in 2023

cole440

9 hours ago, MikeyScuba said:

Why?  I believe the Aussies have to shoot 38 super as they are not allowed to shoot military/police calibers.  Having the extra case capacity is nothing but a downside when you've only got 2.9grs of powder. 

As for the slower gas/comps I'm not 100% sure but I don't think that works well or at all in a revo.  The way to go in revo is heavy bullet.

The 929 is a 9x21 (for the Italian market, again no military calibers for civilians)

Mike:

Yes but I will pass on buying a roll sizer and then running the brass through a U die just so it will be reliable.

Actually, I have been totally unimpressed with anything 9mm, from submachineguns through revolvers.  And I have a carbine and a 1911 in 9mm so its not like I don't shoot the cartridge.  Just seems like it lacks versatility and is kind of boring to me.  Have to like a cartridge or firearm for me to go to the extent of competing with the same.  Don't shoot the PCC a lot but view it as a tool for a job.  Probably better 9mm than .45 ACP though.

I have two comped revolvers.  A V Comp and a 586 L Comp.  The Comp on the V Comp works but is barely discernable.  I think the slits on the V Comp are too narrow to let enough gas out.  The one on my 586 L Comp works without question.  The L Comp is a gigantic square cut out and it does work quite well at keeping the barrel down when using heavy loads. 

GG

Edited by gargoil66

• Replies 217
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 2/1/2023 at 10:42 PM, MWP said:

I’d like to buy that. But as soon as we cross from shooter to collector, I’m out! 

They come up for sale very rarely.  The last few that have sold on GB and the S&W Forum have brought $3K+.

Hard to think of a rarer S&W production model.  All the little old hen S&W collectors get their panties all wet over the Registered Magnums, but the 27-7 is far, far scarcer.  

3 hours ago, Carmoney said:

They come up for sale very rarely.  The last few that have sold on GB and the S&W Forum have brought $3K+.

Hard to think of a rarer S&W production model.  All the little old hen S&W collectors get their panties all wet over the Registered Magnums, but the 27-7 is far, far scarcer.  

I use to have a 27-7 but’s few years back gone for $2500 same person bought my 627 6 1/2” for $2500 at the same time. I still have a 627 6 1/2” and a 27-8 which is the 5” 8 shot. 27-8 ranks right there with the 27-7. 

My wife’s 929’s are all magnaported.  When icore wanted some action clips I went through her shooting videos and noticed that when she got her new Olhasso gun muzzle rise was reduced a bit.  

Keeping the ports clean is a pain, as I load .358 coated rounds.

10 hours ago, MikeyScuba said:

My wife’s 929’s are all magnaported.  When icore wanted some action clips I went through her shooting videos and noticed that when she got her new Olhasso gun muzzle rise was reduced a bit.  

Keeping the ports clean is a pain, as I load .358 coated rounds.

Mike:

I haven't had problems with my Magnaported 327.  Big ports maybe?  

I spray some anti splatter welding stuff on the compensators I use, and surprisingly, it does a very good job of keeping crud from building up on them.  Shooting coated bullets too.

GG

23 hours ago, Carmoney said:

Hard to sort out the placebo effect when it comes to comps, porting, etc.  

I’d like you to shoot my gun next time we are together and get your opinion. 

2 hours ago, MWP said:

I’d like you to shoot my gun next time we are together and get your opinion. 

My experience with Semi Auto Compensators is just slapping one on isn't as effective as one that's been tuned.  I'd assume it's the same with Revolvers.  The design must be effective and the load made to enhance it's effects.

One of the differences between SA's and Revolvers is we don't have the slide delaying effect, which contributes greatly to the compensator effectiveness.

What has been your experience with the best loads for an effective comp?  Do you need the higher pressure loads to be effective?  Is it worth it with say a normal weight gun and a 160 grain 800 f/s load?  Or does it need a 125 grain 1100 f/s load?  I've toyed with the idea, just can't quite pull the trigger (yea pun intended I crack myself up, and the wife, if nobody else).

3 minutes ago, pskys2 said:

My experience with Semi Auto Compensators is just slapping one on isn't as effective as one that's been tuned.  I'd assume it's the same with Revolvers.  The design must be effective and the load made to enhance it's effects.

One of the differences between SA's and Revolvers is we don't have the slide delaying effect, which contributes greatly to the compensator effectiveness.

What has been your experience with the best loads for an effective comp?  Do you need the higher pressure loads to be effective?  Is it worth it with say a normal weight gun and a 160 grain 800 f/s load?  Or does it need a 125 grain 1100 f/s load?  I've toyed with the idea, just can't quite pull the trigger (yea pun intended I crack myself up, and the wife, if nobody else).

Somebody here sells a multi port comp that supposedly works pretty well.

I bought an extended cylinder release he makes and it's top quality. I think Revolver Supply sells them.

I went and shot the 627 today. At 2.6 grains of Titegroup and 160gn blue bullet, I’m only getting about 670 or so fps. That was the highest I had loaded for today.

that’s about 150 fps less than the book lists for a 4” 9mm. I figure the cylinder gap and longer than book OAL probably contributes to that.

time to crank it up a little more I guess?

Edited by cole440
Wrong numbers 😑

9 hours ago, cole440 said:

I went and shot the 627 today. At 2.6 grains of Titegroup and 160gn blue bullet, I’m only getting about 670 or so fps. That was the highest I had loaded for today.

that’s about 150 fps less than the book lists for a 4” 9mm. I figure the cylinder gap and longer than book OAL probably contributes to that.

C44:

Same with rifle.  Book velocities verses the one you get with your blaster and your chronograph.  

The chronograph itself may work perfectly but if not set up the right distance from the muzzle, under the best lighting conditions (sun diffused and overhead), in no wind, and if you don't shoot every round through the 'basket', its readings won't be as accurate as possible.  Generally speaking, a PITA but it will give a more realistic reading than book data.

And, if the powder company changes the way they make a powder, the result will almost always be a change in velocity.

Am sure OAL will make a difference but more so if you use short cartridges.  A .38 SC is probably more sensitive to seating depth than a .38 Spl.  Also, the closer you get to maxing out a charge weight, the less the change in velocity.   I doubt a .4 grain increase in charge weight will result in an increase in 150 fps for you but the thing about all of this is that you don't know unless you try.

Of all the potential factors, your chronograph will give you the widest fluctuation in velocities day to day than any other variable I have mentioned. 

GG

11 hours ago, cole440 said:

In 38 short colt  I'm using 3.0 ClayDot, with Titegroup I used 3.0 also both with BBi & Bayou 160's.  Usually Titegroup required around 10% more than Clays/ClayDot, both are using a different formula now  and take a bit more.  I ended up liking the accuracy of a load around 820+f/s.

I liked ClayDot/Clays more than Titegroup as it's cleaner and cooler.  But Titegroup is accurate and will work well.  

Also I load to 1.180+" oal and a .370" taper crimp (9mm die).

Thanks for the input! I just wanted to be diligent and start a little lower before I went over book.

I am also questioning whether 3.0 grains will push that velocity up enough to get to 800 f/s to make a 125pf. I guess there is only one way to find out!

29 minutes ago, pskys2 said:

Also I load to 1.180+" oal and a .370" taper crimp (9mm die).

I load Bayou Bullets 160gr RN to 1.2 with 3 grains of Clays. I use a .357 sizer die, then a 9mm seating die and a 9mm crimp die.

I found Titegroup to be way too dirty in my revo.

Name: .38 Short Colt: 160gr Bayou.RN: Clays 3.0gr: Starline Case: OAL 1.2
Notes: S&W 627
Shots: 3
Average: 789 ft/s
SD: 4 ft/s
Min: 784 ft/s
Max: 793 ft/s
Spread: 9 ft/s
Power Factor Average: 126
Power Factor Low: 125
Power Factor High: 126
Barometric Pressure: 30 in Hg
Temperature: 63 F
Weight: 160.0 gr.
Powder/Wt: Clays/3.0gr
Bullet/Wt: Bayou 160gr RN
Primer: Fed SPP
Case: Starline
OAL: 1.2
Gun: S&W 627

13 minutes ago, cole440 said:

I’m only really using Titegroup because it’s the only fast powder I have at the moment, and as you guys know, supply is scarce lately. I just wanted a load to at least get started with!

My kingdom for a jug of Clays :)

1 hour ago, cole440 said:

I’m only really using Titegroup because it’s the only fast powder I have at the moment, and as you guys know, supply is scarce lately. I just wanted a load to at least get started with!

When you find a powder you like, buy an 8 pound jug if you can find it, maybe two.

Same thing with primers, buy 10,000 if you can find them. Winchester small pistol primers are available at Target Sports USA. Federal seem to be trickling in slowly.